Helix gn3 and high speed transducer

I purchased a used helix gn3 from a friend, so I know it was working properly. To have access to depth information at speeds above 5 mph, I purchased a second transducer: XNT9 HW T, and installed with a splitter cable: 9M SIDB Y adapter. In use, when I double click the menu button, go to Sonar, and down to Connected Transducer, there is no transducer option with that name. Further, when I try connecting to each of the transducer options given, none provide a correct readout of depth at higher speeds. I’ve also held down the “View” button to check accessory connection, but there is nothing intuitive there (for me) to determine if the 2nd transducer is being recognized. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks n advance. Jim

You do not change any settings when you add the 2D transducer and Y cable. Nothing is changed except the physical location of the 2D piezo.
    The HW piezo in the SI transducer is disconnected (no wires), and the XNT HW is connected (wires) in its place.
    The temp sensor in the XNT 9 HW T is not connected (no wires).
    A Helix does not “recognize” a transducer other than the MEGA 360.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 04-11-2022 at 05:45 AM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks, Wayne… this helps. So, if at speeds above 5 mph I’m getting a “speed” readout, but not the depth, any idea what the problem is? The tech at Humminbird suggested I go back to examining if the y-cable is plugged in correctly; I haven’t pulled the panels off yet to check, but I’m pretty sure I seated the connectors securely at installation. What steps would you follow in process f elimination? Thanks. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Belgirb View Post
    Thanks, Wayne… this helps. So, if at speeds above 5 mph I’m getting a “speed” readout, but not the depth, any idea what the problem is? The tech at Humminbird suggested I go back to examining if the y-cable is plugged in correctly; I haven’t pulled the panels off yet to check, but I’m pretty sure I seated the connectors securely at installation. What steps would you follow in process f elimination? Thanks. Jim
    "Speed" is calculated by GPS, you get that with Sonar OFF.

If the Y cable is connected backwards, you won't have SI/DI/Temp but will have 2D sonar from the SI transducer.

LOOK closely at the Y cable connectors and the transducer plugs. The transducer plugs have two square holes that SNAP over the two tabs inside the Y cable plugs that lock them together. It takes some effort to join the two plugs.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Okay. Last outing I was getting 2D, SI, and temp… so I guess I have the transducers to the correct y-connectors. This weekend, I’ll remove the panels wherein the wiring runs and check plugs to see if the one isn’t seated securely. If it is, would I then suspect a defective y-cable, or transducer? Thanks again.

6. Member
    Are you getting depth reading below 5mph?
    If yes, then your high speed needs height adjusting or a different location.
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

Quote Originally Posted by Belgirb View Post
    Okay. Last outing I was getting 2D, SI, and temp… so I guess I have the transducers to the correct y-connectors. This weekend, I’ll remove the panels wherein the wiring runs and check plugs to see if the one isn’t seated securely. If it is, would I then suspect a defective y-cable, or transducer? Thanks again.
    The way to test is on the water and disconnect the Y cable and only connect the added 2D transducer to the display, then only connect the SI transducer to the display.
    That should show you where the issue is.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Wayne, Here's the current...
    1. Checked connections to the Y... secure. Proceed to out on the water...
    2. Plugged XNT9 directly into Helix display (no Y-cable). Provided depth reading up to about 8 mph, then no further.
    3. Plugged SI transducer directly into Helix (no Y-cable). Provided depth up to about 20 mph, then no further.
    4. Plugged SI transducer into Y-cable (but without XNT9 connected. No depth reading below 5 mph... at higher speeds was getting a 960+ foot reading on a lake about 15 feet deep.
    5. Plugged XNT9 into Y-cable (but without the SI connected). Provided depth reading up to about 6 mph, then no further.

Does this provide you any information that would lead to a conclusion? Thanks. Jim

9. Member
    Read post #6 again. It is too high.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

#4. You disconnected 2D sonar with the Y cable= impossible to get depth.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL