Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Getting to the reeds

Hi all,
    I’m wondering if there is a diagram that shows how to get to the reed (meaning everything that needs to come off in order to get to the reeds)? I’m mechanically inclined but can’t find a good video or diagram to get see exactly what it involves. I have a 2001 Mercury 200hp EFI 2-stroke motor. 0T153550 is the serial number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need to know what gaskets I will need and just some insight. Thank you.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmith View Post
    Hi all,
    I’m wondering if there is a diagram that shows how to get to the reed (meaning everything that needs to come off in order to get to the reeds)? I’m mechanically inclined but can’t find a good video or diagram to get see exactly what it involves. I have a 2001 Mercury 200hp EFI 2-stroke motor. 0T153550 is the serial number. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Need to know what gaskets I will need and just some insight. Thank you.
    It appears there is not enough numbers in your serial number. I tried looking it up on boats.net
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Banned
    EuropeanAM's AvatarJoin Date
    Apr 2008
    Exclamation Engine posts in APPROPRIATE FORUM, Please
    Folks:

It will help you to receive faster, and more accurate responses if you will post your questions in the appropriate forum:

Mercury Motors (this forum)
    TWO STROKE models (Less than 135 hp).

Mercury - 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 2.0/ 2.4/ 2.5L Two Stroke motors (Carb, EFI, Optimax or Racing).

Mercury - 3 Liter & 3 Liter High Performance
    For discussions related to 3L Two Stroke motors (XS, ProXS Optimax, EFI, or Racing)

Mercury - 4 Stroke / Verado
    For discussions related to ALL Mercury 4 Stroke Engines.

For fastest/most-accurate assistance, please choose the correct forum.

Thanks!

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moving thread to the correct forum for you.

When looking for engine information, it would be wise to use a source that is as close to dealer level as possible. Either use Mercury's direct parts lookup system, OR use www.mercurypartsonline.net

DON'T rely on tube-videos and such as your engine disassembly, repair, and reassembly information. Many of them are riddled with costly errors, though usually well-intentioned.

DO obtain a FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL (they're sold ONLY in paper format, but are perhaps the wisest investment you can make if you're going to be working on your own engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Disregard, Don posted seconds before me.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

6. Member
    Am I in the correct forum now? The serial number was correct.

7. Member
    you are obtain serv manual
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Please all I need more help. I got the reeds replaced wasn’t that bad thanks to Chris Carson. Guys and gals I appreciate all the help, however, it’s been frustrating as this discussion board has not been user friendly for me. It has not been welcoming. I know you all or most you all are experts or at the very least very knowledgeable. I’m sure you are great people too. I can’t believe no one offered any insightful information, I am very sorry I don’t know the jargon. I was just told you are in the wrong forum. I’m not an expert I don’t understand the organization of this board. I was looking for help, which is why I came to this discussion board. One person said my serial number didn’t have enough numbers. It’s the correct serial number. I still don’t know if it’s a 2.5 or 3.0L. It’s a 2001 Mercury 2 stroke 200hp EFI. I still have an issue with it that I’d like help diagnosing if anyone is willing to help. The reed valves weren’t the issue. It’s still sluggish and sometimes when giving it throttle it stays around 2500 rpm and won’t go Any further. If I let off the gas and then get back into it, it will climb into the higher rpm’s. It’s like a difference from the lower rpm’s and then switching to the higher rpm’s. Like it’s not making that shift. Does this sound familiar?

wsmith....Welcome to BBC.... Sorry you didn't feel welcomed... you certainly are... welcome. And.... 99.9% of the guys and gals on here are awesome. Especially Don and Joe. They have helped me with several engine projects. It sounds to me like you have a stator or trigger assembly problem. The advice to get the actual service manual for your motor is spot on. They are invaluable. Not just for working on major issues that are driving you crazy but also for regular maintenance on your motor. Again.... welcome to BBC. (Since Don moved your post to this forum I would say it is a 2.5 liter.)

10. Member
    Probably need to check fuel pressure on motor, if possible when it’s being sluggish. This problem could be a number of problems, going to have to try several things to narrow it down. Also need to check for spark on all motors. If you haven’t bought the Mercury OEM service manual you really need to, buy from any Mercury dealer including Don (European Marine). It will be the best purchase for your motor you can make. You will need to check certain things on your motor and the service manual will tell you how to do that. The experts will help but this time of year they are super busy (they run service centers/:”dealerships) this time of year.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

11. Member
    Thank you for a quick response. I really want to get to know all of you all. (As much as possible anyway) I knew it was just a me thing and figuring this board out. To the admins I’m sure I’m gonna post on the wrong board in the future. Please know it’s not intentional.

I do have the Manual for the motor. It has lots of stuff in it. Some I understand and lots I don’t. I’m a wood guy, I can build things out of wood, cabinets, furniture and even framing but when it comes to auto or in this case boats I don’t know what things are called. I also don’t know all the important o rings and spacers and seals needed to do a job. I’m mechanically inclined I just don’t want to start something and have the whole things sidelined because of a little washer or seal. Another symptom I should note is that the motor exhaust smells strong of gas. That leads me to think it’s a lean condition. Under load at low almost idle speed while in gear sometimes I can tell it’s skipping. But once you give it gas it seems to fix it. This past weekend I was pulling my daughter on a kneeboard and I had been running around for a couple hours pulling my son on the kneeboard too. But my daughter needed to go a little slower. So after about 3 mins of about 3000 rpm boat barely planed I got the solid tone alarm. I immediately cut the engine. The tell tail was spitting but I don’t know if the stream was strong enough. I gathered the kids up and returned to the dock. It fired right back up and ran as usual back to the dock, no issues. It was a little warm in the lower unit area when I trailered it. I’m thinking temperature alarm. Did a back flush yesterday and one of the nuts on the lower unit had water leaking from around it. It was lose and after tightening it there it stopped leaking water. Perhaps this was causing my water pressure not to work efficiently. Next I’m going to change the gear oil and probably install a new water impeller kit with the seals and stuff.

12. Member
    Could be ignition related, a cylinder not firing correctly and thus spewing unburnt gas out the exhaust or could be an injector spraying to much gas that also isn’t burning. The basics you need to check first are fuel (fuel pressure is a great indicator), ignition (spark test with timing light) and compression (though since it runs fine sometimes probably not a problem). Also would check fuel lines if they haven’t been checked: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=22490 Also replace spark plugs that are properly gapped if they haven’t been replaced recently.

Temperature could but not likely the problem. If water pump hasn’t been done in the last year it should be done. Lower unit will be warm, the exhaust goes through the lower unit when running. Pee stream comes from thermostats so it takes a little while to appear. Water leaking from where the lower unit and midsection connect is normal, it’s not a fully water tight connection. Just make sure nothing leaks from the gear oil drain screws, that would be bad. Do you have a water pressure gauge?
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

13. Member
    Compression was good, between 120 to 110 on all cylinders. I will work on getting some of the other stuff checked. Thanks for the input.

14. Member
    The water was not leaking anywhere except from around the anodes around the lower unit. I purchased the boat last year and the PO said that he had just had the water pump impeller replaced. Idk how good he was. I plan on replacing the impeller anyway and replacing the gaskets and seals. I do get water in my gear case so I am planning on doing a pressure test but don’t have the gauge for it just yet. It probably needs a new crankcase seal just based on age and me not knowing how long current one has been on there. The motor is on a 20’ ranger R91vs. Once I get the motor completely checked out and fixed I’d like to invest in a jackplate. One thing at a time for now. Thanks again for the response.

15. Member
    Coming out around the anodes is normal.
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

16. Member
    ^^^^^ +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

17. Member
    Ok so I replaced the water impeller and gaskets. I have a strong pee stream from the tell tail when running but it’s a little slow at idle and takes a while when first starting. After running down the lake and putting back in idle the stream is very strong. Way better than before. I did find a gasket in the water pump torn during the replacement. I changed all the gaskets and impeller. Does anyone know the part number or link to purchase a gauge to check the fuel pressure? Or is there one that can be rented like from autozone? Not sure what kind of connection I need on the gauge to connect to the Vale on the vst. I will check the pressure on the lower unit as well.
    main problem is when trying to go the motor hits about 2500 rpms and won’t go over at full throttle. When I let off the gas it stutters and misses while in gear. One it’s back in neutral it’s fine. Sometimes it takes several times of giving it gas and then letting off before it kicks in to the higher rpms. You can hear it when it goes. Once it hits the higher rpms it’s a little sluggish getting on plane but is running good at wot. Sounds good and runs about 62mph according to gps. This issue of not hitting the high rpms is quite a puzzle to me.

You all have no idea how much the information is appreciated.

18. Member
    some auto parts stores have them glycerin filled are best , remember stream is thermostat controled

19. Member
    I’m gonna replace the thermostats. I’m really more worried about the skipping and missing under load. Is there a shifting soleniod or something that makes the motor change from low rpms to high rpms. Would the fuel pump be bad if the motor fires on the slightest turn of the key. No problem running once on plane and in higher rpms

20. Member
    when you say skipping under load does it feel like a hitting something when you first try to accelerate , possible problem in gearcase or shift adjustment, testing fuel pressure can expose other faults other than just a fuel pum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast