Thread: Rt188 vs 188p

Rt188 vs 188p

Not expecting the pad hull on the rt to perform like a traditional fiberglass pad , but how does it compare to the regular Rt188 ?

Is there a drastic visual difference in the hull ?
    Does the P give a dryer and or smoother ride on rough water ?

2. Member
    I can't speak about a non-pad hull, but my 188P cuts thru 18" boat wakes and small chop bone dry. However, I went over a 4' roller off the back of a 35' cruiser at just the wrong speed (about 15 mph) and splashed about 5 gallons of water directly on the consoles and me. My boat comes down off waves much softer than my old 22' glass boat, so it doesn't displace as much water, thereby reducing the splash.

3. Member
    I've owned both, 2016 RT188 and currently have the 2021 RT188P. The hull is very different visually and on the water, definently smoother overall ride. Still get some spray but maybe slightly better in the P vs non P.

It's also slightly faster. I was running 44mph with the 188 and I'm seeing 47 with 1 extra battery and power poles in the 188p.

4. Member
    My comments are for the standard 2.07 gear case. The single biggest performance factor in the RT188s is the prop. A lot of them come with CT motors, which a 14.5" prop is unnecessary in a 1200-1300# hull. I used a Laser II for 2 Lowe 18HP (pad) and with my Ranger. When I added a 19" X7 Spitfire at hole #3, the hull came alive. The stern lift was dramatic, and the hull cut water behind the driver seat. Going through sharp turns, I only had to bump the trim. I have dual consoles, so my top speed is 45, which is only 1.5mph less than the 20 Laser. If you're running poles and a plate, I can't recommend the X7 highly enough. As far as rough water, my experience is similar to yours - NP with bass boat wakes, but I have to slow down for pontoons and ski boats. Being 73, with disc issues, I take it easy across any chop.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver