Thread: First Rod

First Rod

I just finished my first rod. I picked a heck of a design for my first build. It took me almost 2 days to wrap not knowing what I was doing. Lol. I made a few errors in the design but am fairly happy with it. I probably should have started with something simpler. Go big or go home right? What do you think? Any tips? This could get quite addicting building. Can't wait to see how it fishes. I have 2 more I am getting ready to build.
    20220408_095533.jpg20220408_095542.jpg
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

2. Member
    From what I can see it looks like fine work- especially for your first time. Practice truly does make perfect...big thing is to never be in a hurry. Building your own rod should be like having a gourmet meal- slow down and savor every bite.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    From what I can see it looks like fine work- especially for your first time. Practice truly does make perfect...big thing is to never be in a hurry. Building your own rod should be like having a gourmet meal- slow down and savor every bite.
    Thanks, it is actually very calming. I tried to take my time but still made rookie mistakes. I will grow out of it. lol One of the reasons I started this was to take my mind off of my dog I had to put to sleep. I posted it on here last week. It definitely occupied my mind for awhile. It was actually fun to build. I can't wait to have the joy of catching something on a rod built by myself. That has to be a whole new sensation in itself.
    Last edited by jgiljr; 04-08-2022 at 10:49 AM. Reason: mistype
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

4. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    Looks good to me..... you’ll be great at it.
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

5. Member
    Are those flags done by thread? If so that’s some amazing work for your first build. I’m more of a functional over art builder (mainly I just don’t have a truely artistic mindset to think of designs).

You’ll be hooked catching a fish on a rod you made. It’s just a good satisfying feeling
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Are those flags done by thread? If so that’s some amazing work for your first build. I’m more of a functional over art builder (mainly I just don’t have a truely artistic mindset to think of designs).

You’ll be hooked catching a fish on a rod you made. It’s just a good satisfying feeling
    Yes its done with thread. If you look close I have a thread or two crossover and some of the stripes are not symmetrical but close enough for me.
    I am not artistic at all.
    It looked easy on YouTube. I got in a bit over my head for a first build but I pushed thru.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

7. Member
    Looks great!

8. Member
    Good job
    Red Sox in 6!

9. Member
    Nice job. At least you built yours. I bought a kit from Getbit 3 years ago & still haven't built it. I did ream the cork thoughh.

Great work. Now to catch a fish on it.

98 Bullet 20XD
    225 Pro Max

11. Member
    The first fish I caught on a rod I built was a 7-4 LM. My first thought was, "wow, all the eyes stayed on and the rod didn't break". Guess that doesn't say a lot for my rod building confidence but it was a whole other level knowing I built a rod that would catch a giant.
    That is a great job on your first build! I too, tried some cool design for my first build. I learned I am more in the function over form camp.

12. Member
    I just finished my first rod last week. I’m debating whether or not to add another coat of epoxy. I found a spot or two where there’s a small bump. I used Pro-Kote. Is it okay to put on another coat when the first coat has completely dried? Has anyone tried the rod wrap epoxy from Cabelas? Don’t know anything about their rodcepoxy.

13. Member
    As you know I am only a beginner as far as rod building goes. But I have worked with epoxy in the past doing counter tops etc... If yo are going to add another layer of epoxy lightly sand what you have .
    It will look dull but when you add the next layer of epoxy it will clear right up. The object of sanding is to give the epoxy something to grip to so you do not have any peeling. do not get too agressive sanding and get into the threads. it will look terrible then. you just want to sand to get the surface a tad rough to let the epoxy bond to itself.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicangler View Post
    I just finished my first rod last week. I’m debating whether or not to add another coat of epoxy. I found a spot or two where there’s a small bump. I used Pro-Kote. Is it okay to put on another coat when the first coat has completely dried? Has anyone tried the rod wrap epoxy from Cabelas? Don’t know anything about their rodcepoxy.
    As you know I am only a beginner as far as rod building goes. But I have worked with epoxy in the past doing counter tops etc... If you are going to add another layer of epoxy lightly sand what you have.
    It will look dull but when you add the next layer of epoxy it will clear right up.
    The object of sanding is to give the epoxy something to grip to so you do not have any peeling. do not get too agressive sanding and get into the threads. it will look terrible then. you just want to sand to get the surface a tad rough to let the epoxy bond to itself.
    Fish Bump!

1997 ProCraft 180
    2021 Mercury 150

15. Member
    Nice build. My first build and most after was just one color thread. No tag or any other Fancy wrap. Well done for your first time.