Thread: Replace Horn?

Replace Horn?

The horn has stopped working on my 2008 Pantera IV. It sounded like a sick cat for a while that finally died. Is there a way to confirm that it has died or something else to check before ordering a replacement?

2. Member
    Mine sounded the same way in 2009 Cougar. So I replaced w new stainless one. Not a perfect match but close enough for me.

It likely died and sometimes you can slow down the failure by retuning the horn diaphragms. Once they fail and the contact wears out, it’s toast.

4. Member
    Update

I ordered an exact replacement horn. When I installed it it worked perfectly, strong and loud. Second time I tried it nothing! Hasn't worked since. Any thoughts on what to check now?

Check the power output with a voltmeter. Press the button and see if the incoming wires have voltage. If so then re-connect and if the horn doesn’t work this one failed. That’s very unusual though we have had that happen on new horns.

Quote Originally Posted by LashCat View Post
    The horn has stopped working on my 2008 Pantera IV. It sounded like a sick cat for a while that finally died. Is there a way to confirm that it has died or something else to check before ordering a replacement?
    Those horns SUCK ! I replaced a few of them with in a year or two of my boat being new and finally gave up on it working properly and just bought a small air horn . Same thing with my storage lights .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

The reason your truck (car) beeps the horn when you double click the locks button is to extend the life of the reeds in the horn and reduce corrosion. This is why older vehicle horns did not last well, and why todays do. It is recommended that you tap the horn occasionally to extend the life of that part.

Now as for box lights, we have greatly improved the interior lighting as products came available and LED or incandescent markets moved to improve quality over what are often termed “rope lights”. Todays are in aluminum channels and either have mounting clips or end tabs, which also come at an increased cost.

BCB

8. Member
    Well, checked voltage and have12.34 to the horn. Guess they sent me a bad horn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Check the power output with a voltmeter. Press the button and see if the incoming wires have voltage. If so then re-connect and if the horn doesn’t work this one failed. That’s very unusual though we have had that happen on new horns.

It’s not uncommon and we will be glad to replace it. Sorry for the failure in the horn.

BCB

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    It’s not uncommon and we will be glad to replace it. Sorry for the failure in the horn.

BCB
    I looked in the store but did not see it. It's aqua signal 84500-1.