Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I carry two extinguishers on my bay boat and need to upgrade the junk in my bass boat. So glad you got it out.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    DANG Slice' ........... I believe the Masters would have been cheaper!

Glad you didn't get hurt ........ glad you were able to contain it to just the motor ........ really glad your insurance isn't jerking you around!!!!

I always heard that a rectifier/regulator going bad was the most common source for an outboard fire.
    Bit of a shock Ranger, but, VERY fortunate it happened where it did ......and that I caught it before the cowling imploded and a bunch of 30mph wind/air was introduced to the problem. Once I got it out of the water and cooled off I removed the cowling and the rear port section disintegrated. The situation came out of nowhere and I'm SO glad I had a fire extinguisher close by. From now on I'll have TWO easily accessible in the boat....

3. Member
    Day um. Glad you r ok.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slicefixer View Post
    Bit of a shock Ranger, but, VERY fortunate it happened where it did ......and that I caught it before the cowling imploded and a bunch of 30mph wind/air was introduced to the problem. Once I got it out of the water and cooled off I removed the cowling and the rear port section disintegrated. The situation came out of nowhere and I'm SO glad I had a fire extinguisher close by. From now on I'll have TWO easily accessible in the boat....
    I wondered how you got under the cowling since your cowling wasn't melted. I guess the oil fill cap melted enough to allow the chemical to get inside???? Only speculating based off my little Merc has the same oil fill cap as your 115 (at least it looks like a 115-style motor).

Again, glad you didn't get hurt and your insurance is taking care of it. Makes me want to go insurance shopping.
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

That looks very scary. Glad it was not worse.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I wondered how you got under the cowling since your cowling wasn't melted. I guess the oil fill cap melted enough to allow the chemical to get inside???? Only speculating based off my little Merc has the same oil fill cap as your 115 (at least it looks like a 115-style motor).

Again, glad you didn't get hurt and your insurance is taking care of it. Makes me want to go insurance shopping.
    I unscrewed the oil fill cap to gain access to the interior of the engine so as to spray the contents of the fire extinguisher. I was hesitant to do it but it was the only access. I was worried that by opening it up to fresh air it might turn into a flame thrower.....😉 it did flame up, kind of like grease splatter on a hot grill, but, I wss ready with the fire extinguisher.....and we got the fire out. Plus I'd killed all the DC to the engine via the switch.

My main point is this, have TWO current fire extinguishers (I did) on board at all times. Be ready because it can happen and in a lickety split hurry.

I wss VERY fortunate.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12