Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...ake-Norman.pdf

"Many Lake Norman anglers have expressed concernsabout the decline in the Largemouth Bass population."

No spots till 2001. Heck I wish they were in there in the 70's and 80's because as a kid it was about numbers not size.

I read about the shock study that was completed after the second release of the f1 fingerlings……out of the I can’t remember how many thousands of fingerlings they released they were able to recover 1 measly f1. They all had tags to the best of my knowledge. I’m not saying that the project won’t ever work but as the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke quit trying to fix it” and Norman definitely does not need to be fixed as far as fish population goes. It just needs less tournament pressure during the spawn like every lake.

and imo anything published by the ncwrc is about as useless as the f1 project. They didn’t even do a shock study on norman the last time they surveyed our lake populations so how the heck would they even know how many largemouth are actually in it?

2. Banned
    Oh I like catching spots for sure, just not as much as largemouth.

We have enough lakes with spots in them. Almost every lake in the state but the ones in the Raleigh area. Sure would be nice to keep it that way. Spotted bass have gotten so bad only 1 lakes in the state even has creel limits. You can take any size and as many as you want.

15A N.C. Admin. Code 10C.0322:

(a) There is no daily creel limit for Alabama Bass or Spotted Bass, except for waters identified in paragraph (b) of this Rule. There is no minimum size limit or closed season.

(b) In Lake Chatuge in Clay County, the daily creel limit for Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass, Alabama Bass, and Spotted Bass is 10 fish in aggregate.

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    I read about the shock study that was completed after the second release of the f1 fingerlings……out of the I can’t remember how many thousands of fingerlings they released they were able to recover 1 measly f1. They all had tags to the best of my knowledge. I’m not saying that the project won’t ever work but as the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke quit trying to fix it” and Norman definitely does not need to be fixed as far as fish population goes. It just needs less tournament pressure during the spawn like every lake.
    Not sure where you got that but according to Wildlife that is very incorrect, from the number of releases to the number found. They only put one wave of 2000 in there in Oct 2020 in several locations. In April 2021 they shocked an area where they stocked them, got 93 fish total and 6 were from the stocking program just in that one sample. Considering how big Norman is vs only 2000 stocked I would say 6 in 93 is a pretty good find.

They did note that there was not much growth since stocked but that was expected as they stocked tehm in Oct and surveyed the next April so they really did not get a growing season.

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...s-May-2021.pdf

It is this kind of stuff that adds to fish stories we are so famous for telling (both good and bad). It is why in society a "fish story" is used for implying someone is fibbing just a little.

There is just to much information out there today to not pull a Reagan... "Trust but verify"
    Last edited by old4runner; 04-07-2022 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cattdaddy View Post
    Wonder why heavier bags are weighed in now than before
    Because of all of the bedding fish that are snatched off the beds!!
    David Blanton

Anglers Choice Pro Staff
    Stratos 201XLE
    Tournament Director / Warriors on the Water

5. Banned
    Not sure where you got that but according to Wildlife that is incorrect. They only put 2000 in there in Oct 2020. In April 2021 they shocked an area where they stocked them, got 93 fish total and 6 were from the stocking program just in that one sample. Considering how big Norman is vs only 2000 stocked I would say 6 in 93 is a pretty good find.

They did note that there was not much growth since stocked but that was expected as they stocked tehm in Oct and surveyed the next April so they really did not get a growing season.

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...s-May-2021.pdf

It is this kind of stuff that adds to fish stories we are so famous for telling (both good and bad). It is why in society a "fish story" is used for implying someone is fibbing just a little.

There is just to much information out there today to not pull a Reagan... "Trust but verify"

i did not read it on the ncwrc website because as stated before that’s not any more reliable than watching cnn. I read an article from a member that actually was apart of the shock study. And they only surveyed 1 area that they released them which I think was in mountain creek. But whether it was 1 or 6 out of 2000+ it’s still like pissing in the ocean…..I wasn’t there in person so all I have is what I read…..and when they stocked them they stated that the f1s would grow up to 1.5-2 lbs per year. Now norman doesn’t have the shallow bait population that other lakes have due to the abundance of alewives that like to live deep so that may be why. But on a lake with 2 hot holes, there is always a growing season.

but the spotted bass argument is a horse that has been beaten to death. The spots are here(thank God almighty) and here to stay whether you or anyone else likes it or not. I have never personally moved a fish from one body of water to another but I salute whoever brought them to norman, belews, hartwell, fontana and a handfull of other lakes because just about all of them are better fisheries because of it.

6. Banned
    i did not read it on the ncwrc website because as stated before that’s not any more reliable than watching cnn. I read an article from a member that actually was apart of the shock study. And they only surveyed 1 area that they released them which I think was in mountain creek. But whether it was 1 or 6 out of 2000+ it’s still like pissing in the ocean…..and when they stocked them they stated that the f1s would grow up to 1.5-2 lbs per year. Now norman doesn’t have the shallow bait population that other lakes have due to the abundance of alewives that like to live deep so that may be why. But on a lake with 2 hot holes, there is always a growing season.
    Then it is hard to have any discussion if you just dismiss everyone's information. How do you base the inaccuracy of the wildlife survey? Same guy that said there have been more than one release?

You can see the wire tag in the cheek of the one pictured in the report and I bet they have more pics if requested/researched.
    Last edited by old4runner; 04-07-2022 at 09:33 PM.

7. Banned
    Then it is hard to have any discussion if you just dismiss everyone's information. How do you base the accuracy of the wildlife survey?

here is how I base my opinion. I spent several years fishing norman almost exclusively. Several times a week 52 weeks out of the year. I had some days where I didn’t catch as many largemouth as others and then had days where I caught 3 times as many largemouths as spots and I mean big numbers. I spent day after day after day in March april and may cruising the banks seeing one 3-5 lb largemouth after the other up cruising and spawning. If you go down there this time of year you can see it for yourself. But like all clear water fisheries when they are through with the spawn they basically disappear and then some days you can catch 50 when they are turned on. The spots act different, feed different and handle pressure much better. But that clear water brings a different set of rules. We have several lakes up in the mountains that have a high number of double digit largemouth in them but because of that gin clear water it’s very tough especially under pressure. Spots are much better suited in the clear water fisheries than the largemouth and they make it a lot more enjoyable. That is all based on my years of experience.

8. Banned
    here is how I base my opinion. I spent several years fishing norman almost exclusively. Several times a week 52 weeks out of the year. I had some days where I didn’t catch as many largemouth as others and then had days where I caught 3 times as many largemouths as spots and I mean big numbers. I spent day after day after day in March april and may cruising the banks seeing one 3-5 lb largemouth after the other up cruising and spawning. If you go down there this time of year you can see it for yourself. But like all clear water fisheries when they are through with the spawn they basically disappear and then some days you can catch 50 when they are turned on. The spots act different, feed different and handle pressure much better. But that clear water brings a different set of rules. We have several lakes up in the mountains that have a high number of double digit largemouth in them but because of that gin clear water it’s very tough especially under pressure. Spots are much better suited in the clear water fisheries than the largemouth and they make it a lot more enjoyable. That is all based on my years of experience.
    Well you differ from the fisherman down there requesting this and paying for it. Yes it is fisherman paying for this so there is really nothing to complain about. If it fails it was not tax payer money. I love the fact there are fisherman that see an issue and will put thier own $ on the line to help. Bravo guys!!!

And again we can just disagree. Many people fish Norman a lot. My nephew is a high school angler and spends a lot of time down there and he loves coming to this area so he can catch fish bigger than 2 lbs frequently.

This is also a diff strain with some Florida in it. Much like what they did on Lake Fork.

https://www.carolinasportsman.com/fi...of-f-1-bass-2/

9. Banned

I am a firm believer that the winning weights in tournament results don’t tell you much about how good a fishery is particularly in the spring and rather it’s how many decent limits are weighed in versus how many zeroes get put up……but these 2 videos are classic examples of how miserable norman was before the spots came along. One tournament in may and one in October. I rest my case. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by dk239 View Post
    Because of all of the bedding fish that are snatched off the beds!!
    Fish aren't bedding in Feb and March

11. Banned
    Oh like any lake Norman has had bad years and it was never a trophy lake, then or now.

But back to the subject. Why are so many fisherman supporting this out of thier pocket if the lake is fine? Where is the 2nd release your guy told you about? Just seems very dramatic and hard to verify. Are you sticking with there has been multiple releases of these F1 fish?

Again we can just disagree about all of this.

12. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cattdaddy View Post
    Fish aren't bedding in Feb and March
    Not on Norman anyway!!! and I don't think people are bed fishing anymore now than they did 5-10 years ago.
    Last edited by old4runner; 04-07-2022 at 10:07 PM.

Not on Norman anyway!!!
    Santee has them bedding in March and Murray late March but the majority of Carolina lakes are later

14. Banned
    Oh like any lake Norman has had bad years and it was never a trophy lake, then or now.

But back to the subject. Why are so many fisherman supporting this out of thier pocket if the lake is fine? Where is the 2nd release your guy told you about? Just seems very dramatic and hard to verify. Are you sticking with there has been multiple releases of these F1 fish?

Again we can just disagree about all of this.
    it was like that every single year for a LONG time until the 2000s. The best reason I can give you is that they don’t know how to catch the largemouth or the big spots that already fill the lake. If they did they wouldn’t be trying to mess with it. There are a lot of fisherman down there that want no part of the f1 stocking program. I am aware of how it is funded. I look forward to seeing how big the spots keep getting now that they are eating on f1 fingerlings and I don’t have the article at my fingertips at the moment. Let me dig around and see if I can find it.

15. Banned
    it was like that every single year for a LONG time until the 2000s. The best reason I can give you is that they don’t know how to catch the largemouth or the big spots that already fill the lake. If they did they wouldn’t be trying to mess with it. There are a lot of fisherman down there that want no part of the f1 stocking program. I am aware of how it is funded. I look forward to seeing how big the spots keep getting now that they are eating on f1 fingerlings and I don’t have the article at my fingertips at the moment. Let me dig around and see if I can find it.
    Great I look forward to reading it.

16. Member
    Fishing is going to get good soon.
    Last edited by Eddie Bruhn; 04-08-2022 at 07:14 AM.

17. Banned
    No Eddie Noooooo!!!! People will miss your reports (I appreciate them!!)

I had green pumpkin on my drop shot!!!!

18. Member
    Al must have gone to bed early tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bruhn View Post
    WoW, but it’s true. Spots destroy largemouth bass. If people disagree with that then I’d question there fishing knowledge period.
    You don't have a clue, spots don't always take hold !

20. Member
    LoL, I don’t have a clue. 10-4, thanks for letting me know

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast