Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    I will agree that fishing pressure has increased over the last two years, and also there's more tournaments now than 5 years ago. We do still fish during the spawn, but I suck at bed fishing so I'll only spend a few minutes fishing a bed before I move on. Anyway, the NC Wildlife does build habitats for every lake in NC. Everything about them to include the GPS coordinates can be found here
    https://www.ncwildlife.org/Fishing/Where-to-Fish. I personally believe that Falls and Jordan are both as good as ever. They just take lots of time on the water, graphing to figure both of them out, just ask the ones that consistently weigh in large bags every time. Shearon Harris on the other hand has gone from best on the east coast to a dead sea ever since they removed all the grass. Yes fish can still be caught, and big fish can still be caught, but nothing like it use to be, in my opinion. Bring back the hydrilla at Harris, and the fishing will come back to what most of us are use to after several years, even with all the party boats and wake boats.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

2. Member
    Smh

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jump&run View Post
    So was voting for Bidan look where that has got us!
    LMAO you snowflakes need to give it a rest. Politics have nothing to do with NC Tournament fishing. LMAO

4. Banned
    Not all of the fish attractors are labeled on the lake but here is a map, They have actually added a bunch on Harris. There were a couple on Harris last year that held fish nearly every trip, sometimes a tourney limit from one stop. I know a couple of the good fisherman on Harris and they fish several of them with great success. These are even a bigger deal now with the reduced veg when you find the right ones.

https://www.ncpaws.org/ncwrcmaps/fishattractors

There are also a lot of trees/brush/pvc dropped personally in Harris, I have seen it for years. Just my opinion, I think you have some guys dropping brush piles for tournament purposes but at the same time there is nothing saying they can't.

And then there is us, at times I think we start believing our old fish "stories" . Fisherman are just plain wrong at times. This all just went down on the Tar river/basin.

"Concern about poor fishing success for Largemouth Bass in the Tar River was reported by anglers in spring 2021. However, there were no hurricane associated fish kills or any other factors that could be attributed to a decrease in Tar River Largemouth Bass abundance."

"Largemouth Bass were observed in greater abundances (22 fish/h) in 2021 than in 2019 (13 fish/h) (Table 2). Furthermore, Tar River Largemouth Bass should provide adequate angling opportunity and continued spawning success."

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...sjFRL_PQ%3d%3d

**Disclaimer I am not a tournament fisherman. Never been in a club and have only fished a handful of real tournaments in the past 30+ years **

5. Member
    I don’t know who you think fishes these tournaments, but as a tournament angler I feel like the majority of us go to extreme measures to keep the fish alive and well. I know I do. I don’t add chemicals to my water and I run fresh clean lake water in my live-wells all day as soon as fish #1 goes in. The $300,000 wake board boats do more damage on our lakes than the fisherman if you ask me.

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwrong View Post
    I don’t know who you think fishes these tournaments, but as a tournament angler I feel like the majority of us go to extreme measures to keep the fish alive and well. I know I do. I don’t add chemicals to my water and I run fresh clean lake water in my live-wells all day as soon as fish #1 goes in. The $300,000 wake board boats do more damage on our lakes than the fisherman if you ask me.

keeping them alive and well is all well and good……but after you yank one off the bed that is either guarding eggs, already laid it’s eggs or hasn’t…..and then dumps those eggs either in your live well or somewhere that they weren’t meant to be so you think that is doing a great thing for the fishery? A whole generation of fish gets wiped out every time this happens and from March 20-may 20 this happens thousands upon thousands of times on lakes where tournaments are held. I’ve said this before…..go up north and fish in the states that have a bass season where you can’t keep a fish during the spawn and see what the fishing is like compared to here. It’s like night and day. It could be that way again here if the ncwrc, tournament directors, and fishermen had any brains. The only lakes left in this state worth fishing are the ones that tournaments aren’t held on and the spotted bass lakes because the spots handle the pressure just fine and the green carp do not. And whoever said there are just as many tournaments now as 20 years ago is living on a different planet. 20 years ago there would be 1 tournament on a lake on a weekend, rarely 2 at the same time and not 3-5 different derbies with 50+ boats in each. I was at norman last year in April and there were 7 different tournaments going on at one time. You think 300 boats yanking fish off the bed did wonders for those LKN largemouth? Idk why everyone wants to blame pleasure boaters and boat traffic. They’re not putting holes and cull tags in the mouths of our bass and hauling them all over the lake for 8-9 hours only to hold them up in front of a camera for Instagram at the end of the day.

7. Banned
    Tournaments had nothing to do with lake Normal large mouth it was the introduction of spots to the lake by fisherman and they have taken over. They have also run out the white bass.

https://www.lakenormanpublications.c...fect-the-lake/

8. Member
    Does NC have a no culling in the hot summer months like most other states have?
    Last edited by Eddie Bruhn; 04-07-2022 at 07:37 PM.

9. Banned

I am all for protected areas and it would be so easy. We already have some at Harris (not by design but by default) by just using a few strings of buoys. It would be easy to do the same thing at Falls or Jordan.

We just have to make sure we don't go to far and end up with lake ecosystems similar to ponds. A certain amount of bass should be harvested for a healthy ecosystem much like "Doe days" in hunting season if not the food supply cannot sustain the system. For deer it means starvation for bass it means little to no growth.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bruhn View Post
    Does NC have a no culling in the hot summer months like most other states have?
    No. I don't know of any in the south east.

But having said that most tournaments (none at all that I know of) will not let you cull a dead fish anytime which ends up with the same affect for the most part. Unless tourney fishing not many carry fish in the live well just to have them in there.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    Tournaments had nothing to do with lake Normal large mouth it was the introduction of spots to the lake by fisherman and they have taken over. They have also run out the white bass.

https://www.lakenormanpublications.c...fect-the-lake/
    oh I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this argument. First off Lkn was a desolate cess pool before the spots came along. The only Lm living in it were about 10 inches on average. Now it’s full of big spots along with the biggest largemouth it has ever grown and has been for some time. You don’t have beat your head against a wall to catch a keeper either like you do elsewhere. There are some fisheries that don’t need spots but norman wasn’t one of them. The f1 program is the biggest waste of time and money. The largemouth population is just fine. They just don’t respond to getting their brains beat in the same way spots do. And a 3lb spot will pull the transmission out of a 6 lb greenhead.

12. Member
    I don’t see no arguing thank goodness. If so I wouldn’t be commenting myself. But it is calm talks about what other healthy lakes have done in the past and it sure has helped.

Spots, man, go to Lake Lanier in Ga and you can catch 5-6lb spots almost every day you go out. Catching 30+ a day is about common on lakes with spots. A 2 lb spot fights like a 5 lb large mouth all day long. Getting ahold of one of the 1000’s of 5lb spots on Lanier feels like an 8lber all day long. Fun to catch but large mouth have a hard time living in lakes with spots.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bruhn View Post
    I don’t see no arguing thank goodness. If so I wouldn’t be commenting myself. But it is calm talks about what other healthy lakes have done in the past and it sure has helped.

Spots, man, go to Lake Lanier in Ga and you can catch 5-6lb spots almost every day you go out. Catching 30+ a day is about common on lakes with spots. A 2 lb spot fights like a 5 lb large mouth all day long. Getting ahold of one of the 1000’s of 5lb spots on Lanier feels like an 8lber all day long. Fun to catch but large mouth have a hard time living in lakes with spots.
    lanier is the best lake in the southeast hands down and it’s because of the spots. I absolutely love that place. Chatuge, fontana, hiwassee, carters lake, burton are all like it as well.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kb_rn View Post
    oh I loveeeeeeeeeeeee this argument. First off Lkn was a desolate cess pool before the spots came along. The only Lm living in it were about 10 inches on average. Now it’s full of big spots along with the biggest largemouth it has ever grown and has been for some time. You don’t have beat your head against a wall to catch a keeper either like you do elsewhere. There are some fisheries that don’t need spots but norman wasn’t one of them. The f1 program is the biggest waste of time and money. The largemouth population is just fine. They just don’t respond to getting their brains beat in the same way spots do. And a 3lb spot will pull the transmission out of a 6 lb greenhead.
    Did not know we were arguing .

We can differ on Norman as we all go one personal experience. I grew up in NC all my life (much of it just outside Lexington NC) and Lake Norman was not a cease pool. My dad has a 8.5 lm on a mount from LKN. Dad could take me there in the 70's when the white bass would run up the Catawba and I could catch 50+ a day. I water skied behind out little 13 footer with a merc 40 until I got to big for it to pull me up. Now it is hard to catch 10-15 white bass and the water is much worse quality wise for the same reasons as Jordan. Run off from the growing area and the thousands of fancy houses on the lake with treated yards running into the lake.

One thing Raleigh area lakes do not have is houses on every square foot of shoreline and that is so nice. No "Karens" out there bitching about dock fishing and no wanna be bassmaster beating thier boats to chit because it does happen.

It is hard to have a discussion when you just call things garbage with nothing supporting it. Why was the F1 program a waste of money?
    Last edited by old4runner; 04-07-2022 at 08:26 PM.

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by old4runner View Post
    Did not know we were arguing .

We can differ on Norman as we all go one personal experience. I grew up in NC all my life (much of it just outside Lexington NC) and Lake Norman was not a cease pool. My dad has a 8.5 lm on a mount from LKN. Dad could take me there in the 70's when the white bass would run up the Catawba and I could catch 50+ a day. I water skied behind out little 13 footer with a merc 40 until I got to big for it to pull me up. Now it is hard to catch 10-15 white bass.
    i said that because the argument is always “the spots ruined the lake”

16. Member
    WoW, but it’s true. Spots destroy largemouth bass. If people disagree with that then I’d question there fishing knowledge period.

17. Banned
    https://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...ake-Norman.pdf

"Many Lake Norman anglers have expressed concernsabout the decline in the Largemouth Bass population."

No spots till 2001. Heck I wish they were in there in the 70's and 80's because as a kid it was about numbers not size.

18. Member
    Spots are so aggressive it is crazy. In the winter on Lanier it gets clear lake table rock. You can throw an A rig and if you say 20-25’ down you can see 30-50 or more spots swimming with the A rig. Not small spots either. Well Lake Lanier they aren’t small. If there was spots in Falls id say in less than 8 years half the largemouth would be gone. Keep them away from lakes that have largemouth. Damn they are fun to catch and to me Lanier is the best Spotted bass fishery in The United States. The number and the size are awesome.

Wonder why heavier bags are weighed in now than before

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by glove2u View Post
    LMAO you snowflakes need to give it a rest. Politics have nothing to do with NC Tournament fishing. LMAO
    Looks like here is one of the pink hairs that voted for an 80 year old man with dementia. Smart move..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast