New Owner 295 Pro XL - Anyone Have an Owner's Manual For This or Similar Model?

Just bought an '04 in excellent condition. Seems like a great boat. I'm looking to understand how various features work, particularly the details of the livewell fill/empty/aeration system. It seems a bit complex.

Any other advice for a newbie is welcome? Boat has 200hp Optimax and runs great - I got 65mph with two full livewells and two big guys without trying.

Needs electronics upgrades console and front; has the original Lowrance LMS 480 in the console and Lowrance X87 flush mounted in the bow panel. Trying to figure out how/where to mount a more modern console unit as a first step.

Thanks all! I'm sure I'll be back as I learn what to ask.

2. Member
    I have a 2004 195 Pro XL with an Optimax. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Some mods I have made to mine.
    Replaced the cleats with flush mount.
    Installed recessed pan for TM pedal.
    Upgraded electronics.
    Mercury smart craft gauges.
    Replaced carpet
    Recovered the seats
    Replaced the trailer with an aluminum unit. I fish brackish water
    Replaced the rocker switch covers.

PM me if you like.

3. Member
    Anyone know the size of the gas tank on an '04 295 Pro XL? I thought it was 45 gals, but today I added 16 gal and the gage went from a little less than 1/4 to a little over 3/4. That suggests either the tank isn't 45 gal or my fuel gage is pretty inaccurate. Thoughts?

4. Member
    I believe it has a 42 gallon tank. Fuel gauge is not accurate due to an L shaped tank.

5. Member
    Thanks. I'm going to pull a panel this afternoon to confirm, as it's not OK to have an unreliable fuel gage and not know for certain the size of the fuel tank. I don't want to run out 20 miles from the ramp.

I fished with a guide that had a "fuel computer" on his panel that showed a digital display of his fuel burn/hr when running and gallons remaining on board. Can anyone point me to one of these gages? This might make more sense than spending money trying to fix my fuel gage unless the sending unit can be easily changed to something more accurate and it's feasible for me to do it myself. Thoughts?

6. Member
    I have a 201 pro xl and i thought i was carrying around a 1/4 tank and it was 25 gallons. I replaced my fuel sending unit with a longer one. I cannot remmeber but thought i used a 13-1/2" sending unit. Resolved my issue off carrying around extra gas not needed. If you replace the sending unit, measure the current one and how far the sending unit sits off the bottom of the tank.

7. Member
    Thanks Javelin90. I think you have the 50 gal tank - correct?

I pulled the access plate off so I could see my fuel tank, and clearly it is has an irregular shape and a strong taper top to bottom so a "simple" sending unit won't give meaningful information. I could see the placard and confirm I have a 42 gal Inca tank. It looks like the sending unit may have been replaced at some point, but I just got the boat a few weeks ago so I can't be sure. It may be they put a simple linear sending unit in this tank when it requires one accommodating some type of calibration for its irregular shape.

It doesn't take long to figure out how the gauge relates to actual tank level. In my 200 when the gauge is at 1/4 I've got right at 1/2 a tank. When it's down approaching E, about a 1/4 tank. When the needle starts bouncing on E, time to gas up

The gauge issue has been there even back to the Javelin days as the L shaped tanks were common in Stratos and Javelin.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO