Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Member
    ….and we all agree that UF sucks

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    ….and we all agree that UF sucks
    Different subject ... but, yes, the winds do move toward the southeast from Tallahassee.

Go Noles!!
    Last edited by TampaJim; 04-10-2022 at 06:09 PM.

All I know is my best $$$ banks near Welaka got hosed and are brown erosion zones and have been ever since...that was I think 2019!...
    I also know the reasons could not have been congested docks or impeding navigation... when in doubt follow da $$$...
    fishing much tougher than even 2017 as it is w/o nuking the vegetation impeding NOTHING...

Saw them hosing a section of Lake Monroe back a couple years when scouting for a T BUT it looked like an area needing spraying...some do...
    but apparently they 'may" over buy the herbicide by a LOT. Bad or deliberate "research" when ordering?

2018 Z19/200 Optimax 2 stroker 24x3 Fury Ultrex 112
    Lowrance HDS 12/9 Lives with 3 in 1 ducers

4. Member
    Sold my lake place a few years ago. Between the nuclear attacks and up/down of water levels ... was too frustrating.
    And the "spray is safe" line is complete baloney. The labels on the jugs (peeking is fun) very much state otherwise.

Plus after watching them spray trees, native grasses, lilypads and anything else, it was obvious the overall program.
    Let's face it, the snowbirds and most property owners (water lice owners) want a plant-free shoreline & passageway.

5. Member
    Just got the email letter from FWC stating they are planting eel grass in lake George and Silver Springs. Sounds like job security and continuous flow of $. Plant then kill

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Sold my lake place a few years ago. Between the nuclear attacks and up/down of water levels ... was too frustrating.
    And the "spray is safe" line is complete baloney. The labels on the jugs (peeking is fun) very much state otherwise.

Plus after watching them spray trees, native grasses, lilypads and anything else, it was obvious the overall program.
    Let's face it, the snowbirds and most property owners (water lice owners) want a plant-free shoreline & passageway.
    This is the real problem. It's honestly not the FWC (mostly). They are just catering to the loudest group in the room which is the waterfront property owners and pleasure boaters. Unfortunately we as bass fisherman, even in Florida, are heavily outnumbered on the lobbying front.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    This is the real problem. It's honestly not the FWC (mostly). They are just catering to the loudest group in the room which is the waterfront property owners and pleasure boaters. Unfortunately we as bass fisherman, even in Florida, are heavily outnumbered on the lobbying front.
    I understand what you are saying BUT Okeechobee has NONE of that and they NUKED the crap out of the south end there is literally nothing left

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrat View Post
    I understand what you are saying BUT Okeechobee has NONE of that and they NUKED the crap out of the south end there is literally nothing left
    I think i was a little confusing in the way I worded my post. I was speaking more to how the spraying program in Florida became the monster that it is. I know that not every spray they do is for property owners/pleasure boaters. They spray a lot of places that don't have either, like what you mentioned with S Big O. What I'm getting at is the reason they spray those out of the way places is they have to justify the enormous amount of tax paying dollars needed to keep the size of the program the way it is.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wrat View Post
    They did the same to the north end.

10. Member
    Well at least the Talk got back to the Problems with Spraying instead of the Great Debate of

I'M MORE FLORIDA THAN YOU ARE!!

NO YOUR NOT! I AM MORE FLORIDA THAN YOU ANY DAY OF THE WEEK!

NOT!

SO!

NOT!

OH SO MUCH SO!!!!

ARE NOT!

AM SO!

etc etc etc.

11. Member
    The one thing we all need to understand is the Water Quality is becoming grimmer by the day.
    Eventually there will be nothing left in our waterways to filter any of the nasty toxins and turn them into a “Mars” like liquid called
    Lake,River,Impoundment,Resevoir,Creek,Pond, etc. Everyone and not just us as fisherman are going to pay dearly for this idiotic mistake just because of greed. Money is the Root of all Evil and our Natural Resource is disappearing before our eyes. We can’t
    disrupt the eco-system and expect good results. I can not wrap my head around why this is being let happen to our great resource.

12. Member
    The only way to stop them is to get the governor involved because if he is on board with something he acts on it or stop MLF and BASS from coming here and cut that money and publicity out. We also need a lobbyist who bass fishes to take government on. We have to play their game, politics and money.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cg2fish View Post
    The only way to stop them is to get the governor involved because if he is on board with something he acts on it or stop MLF and BASS from coming here and cut that money and publicity out. We also need a lobbyist who bass fishes to take government on. We have to play their game, politics and money.
    I contacted a big attorney here in Jax and explained the situation. He was somewhat aware of what was going on in the state involving spraying
    He said finding an atty who would take on the state would be next to impossible. Two reasons he stated (1) the state is virtually impossible to sue. He said for the most part they have immunity making it very difficult to go that route. Not that it was impossible but definitely difficult.
    Or something of that effect. (2) If an atty found a loophole to hold the state responsible, the state would "blackmale" hthe atty practically ruining his practice.
    The state would make it very difficult for them. This atty i spoke with was nice enough to call me back and take 30 min out of his day to chat. He was an older experienced fellow. He said the best way is to expose it in the media and get the environment groups involved, like Ducks Unlimited ( i think thats the duck group), manatee club and autobon society. We need to find an atty who has a set of stones, i just wander if there is one out there. This conversation occurred about a year ago. Obviously, it's paraphrased but these were the two main concerns / points he spoke of.
    Last edited by Manatee Mauler; 04-14-2022 at 01:16 PM.

14. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    The media has to be in out it, no?? Fl is red, but there's still plenty of blue spots and liberal media. This is something they could take DeSantis to task on, but for whatever reason they choose not to? They're either in on it somehow, or too lazy/stupid to report it. (on second though, lazy/stupid is probably the reason)

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    The media has to be in out it, no?? Fl is red, but there's still plenty of blue spots and liberal media. This is something they could take DeSantis to task on, but for whatever reason they choose not to? They're either in on it somehow, or too lazy/stupid to report it. (on second though, lazy/stupid is probably the reason)
    They do jump on it ... when it's red tide (smell) or algae (view) or beach erosion (access).
    However, those wanting vegetation are GREATLY outnumbered here. It's all about optics.
    Pretty water, pretty lake, pretty river, pretty beach, pretty harbor, pretty bay, pretty gulf.

Let's face it, we've been "Disney-ed" into a commodity for viewing, play, waterfront living.
    Very few want native species like alligators, snakes, bears, spiders or anything else "bad".
    Unfortunately, it's only going to become even worse. Overcrowding is just heating up now.

16. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Yea, the coasts (ICW) seem to be the only bodies of water they actually care about or report on. But even when they do it's like spraying poison (upstream) is never even mentioned as a possible cause. The staggering amounts of chemical poison they spray, all over the state, should be headline news? Even if the FWC has somehow convinced them it's a necessary evil, I've never known the media to step away from spinning something to their advantage, especially if they can blast a republican in the process. lol I love our Governor, but on this subject I wish he'd get a little arm twist from somewhere..

17. Member
    The "BUILD" is now just really getting started around me.

The area of Deltona was just single family homes for most of 20 years, but now the Developer Bug has started and Old Time Familes that owned Hundreds if not Thousands of Acres are now smelling the Money and Land is being developed like I've never seen before.

One new place gets done and 2-3 new are started. The Area from Deltona to Deland on MLK-Kelpler used to be all Nature, but now most of it is under Developement. The one has announced they are 2/3rds SOLD Already and THEY HAVEN'T EVEN COMPLETED THE MODEL HOUSE YET!!!!

In Deltona Amazon took 85 acres. Now they are clearing 150 more across the road for another 1.5 million sq ft Warehouse and two 500,000 sq ft Warehouses. All them new Workers will need a place to live. To be Honest about this part, SOME Industry was NEEDED to make Deltona a place where you could both Work and Live, so that Progress has been good.

Land like a small penisula stuck out in the Swamp touching Lake Monroe is up for sale at $750,000. maybe 2 acres including the land the road/drive in is located on.

I just learned that now that the Ultimate I-4 Project is done in Orlando AND they see people are paying to use it, the Plan is to now EXTEND the Pay Lanes both SW and NE to 472 Exit on I-4 at Deltona/OC/Deland and the other way to Lakeland I do believe it was.

The more that people move in and also Familes that live here grow and expand, more Land will be developed and with that will come a loss of the Waterways and Nature thaty is Old Florida.

Jim was right, these Lake Side Livers want to see a Clear Water View with no weeds, no Gators, no Fishermen blocking their view.

18. Member
    It’s my understanding mechanical harvesting is the most expensive method of removing excess vegetation from our waterways, but appears to be the most eco-friendly solution, as well as the most pro-fishing solution.

One of the biggest hurdles to mechanical harvesting is where to transfer the biomass on shore. Plants regrow quickly, so the harvesting has to be repeated at least annually. Is there any alternate use for all the harvested biomass to offset the high cost of mechanical harvesting?

Seems there’s an opportunity for an entrepreneur to come in and utilize the discarded plant mass, like for biodiesel or bioethanol to be used in our trucking and/or rail transportation industry
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post
    It’s my understanding mechanical harvesting is the most expensive method of removing excess vegetation from our waterways, but appears to be the most eco-friendly solution, as well as the most pro-fishing solution.

One of the biggest hurdles to mechanical harvesting is where to transfer the biomass on shore. Plants regrow quickly, so the harvesting has to be repeated at least annually. Is there any alternate use for all the harvested biomass to offset the high cost of mechanical harvesting?

Seems there’s an opportunity for an entrepreneur to come in and utilize the discarded plant mass, like for biodiesel or bioethanol to be used in our trucking and/or rail transportation industry
    So my limited understanding of this is that hydrilla and other water based plants don't have enough of the "biomass" needed to efficiently be used for fuel. So it would take way more plant matter for the same amount of fuel to make it worth it

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1781ccT View Post

Bundle it up and sell it to Snoop Dog as home grown hydro good stuff. He'll smoke it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast