Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

16ga Short Action ammo

I’m searching for another source for 16ga short action ammo (2 1/2”) I really like RST ammo but they are suffering from the severe shortage of components like everyone else.

I’ve got a Belgian Browning A5 that I’m itching to shoot again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    "When My Ship Comes In, I will Probably Be At The Airport"
    USAF Retired

2. Member
    Might not be the advice you are looking for but for feeding a 16 gauge I would take up reloading and get that fine shotgun back in action. The old auto 5 has always been my favorite shotgun but I have a strong affinity for anything designed by John Browning.

3. Member
    Of all the places I do business with this is the only one I see who presently has anything in stock. Good Luck.

https://www.natchezss.com/ammunition...order=position

Appreciate it guys!

I do reload everything but the short action 16, unfortunately my supply of primers is gone and can’t find a good supply anymore

Thanks for the link Old Syko, unfortunately that ammo won’t work. My A5 is a short action and will only shoot
    2 1/2” shells. I’ve got a good supply of 2 3/4” for my other 16

I have huge sentimental attachment to this gun and a matching 12. My grandfather picked them up at the factory in Belgium when they first opened back up after WWII and were only selling to servicemen. I still have the original receipts. Tracing the serial numbers I found one was built in the last days before the Nazis invaded and the other in the first days after the factory reopened. They are still in amazing condition.

Thanks again sirs!
    USAF Retired

5. Member
    My dad's A5 12 came from that same later time period. When he passed I went ahead and passed it on to my daughter. My son got the Garand. I've kept the 1903 Colt he carried during the war while he was designated First Scout for his company and went on numerous solo missions. So yes I understand the sentimental value we place on things.
    As to primers we have 2 within 60 or so miles that still are able to get a few on occasion even though pricing is ungodly. Of those 2 one has and always has had a fantastic supply of ammo as long as you're willing to pay the price. I'm going to call him when he opens after while and see if he would happen to have anything and would he possibly know of anyone in your area who would. This guy is possibly the most informed guy there is when it comes to who has what. I'll let you know later today sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Syko View Post
    My dad's A5 12 came from that same later time period. When he passed I went ahead and passed it on to my daughter. My son got the Garand. I've kept the 1903 Colt he carried during the war while he was designated First Scout for his company and went on numerous solo missions. So yes I understand the sentimental value we place on things.
    As to primers we have 2 within 60 or so miles that still are able to get a few on occasion even though pricing is ungodly. Of those 2 one has and always has had a fantastic supply of ammo as long as you're willing to pay the price. I'm going to call him when he opens after while and see if he would happen to have anything and would he possibly know of anyone in your area who would. This guy is possibly the most informed guy there is when it comes to who has what. I'll let you know later today sometime.
    Very much apprecited sir!
    USAF Retired

7. Member
    Bad news. My guy tells me he doesn't think any US manufacturer has put together any 2 1/2 stuff in some time. The big problem is since 2 1/2" stuff, as you know, is a mostly European thing very little is ever imported and with the last couple years of idiocy it is doubtful if any at all has come in. Fiocchi is a major manufacturer for the European market and even they are putting out minimum quantities right now for their local market much less shipping a lot to other countries. This is as he has been told by one of his suppliers so please take it as no more than that.

Primers are being made available in minor quantities to certain retailers in the US. Personally, I keep a standing order direct with both certain retailers and manufacturers. Just got some powder this way a couple weeks ago. This might be something you might want to consider.

At this point all we can do is the best we can and wish ourselves the best of luck.

Bad news. My guy tells me he doesn't think any US manufacturer has put together any 2 1/2 stuff in some time. The big problem is since 2 1/2" stuff, as you know, is a mostly European thing very little is ever imported and with the last couple years of idiocy it is doubtful if any at all has come in. Fiocchi is a major manufacturer for the European market and even they are putting out minimum quantities right now for their local market much less shipping a lot to other countries. This is as he has been told by one of his suppliers so please take it as no more than that.

Primers are being made available in minor quantities to certain retailers in the US. Personally, I keep a standing order direct with both certain retailers and manufacturers. Just got some powder this way a couple weeks ago. This might be something you might want to consider.

At this point all we can do is the best we can and wish ourselves the best of luck.
    I truly appreciate the effort sir!

My usual go to is RSTShells.com They are a custom shell manufacturer for older (classic) guns and oddball gauges. I'll remain patient and hope they can get components in the future.
    Reloading a 2 1/2 shell is a bit cumbersome but I may end up having to go that route.

Once again, Thank you!
    USAF Retired

9. Member
    I've dealt with RST in the past ant the are fine. Might even want to contact them personally and see about putting in a standing order. BTW the bigger you are willing to go the better chance you have.

Also I have no experience with PolyWad but it couldn't hurt to look into them as well.

Believe it or not my son just called asking if we needed any small pistol primers. He stopped into a gun shop in KY that had plenty in stock but were getting $90 per thousand and limiting to 1,000 per customer. He had 6 of his crew with him so could have picked up a few but I told him we were good on those. They also had CCI 209s but I really don't do shotgun much any more so he didn't even ask about those. They had never even heard of 2 1/2" 16 gauge stuff which I kinda got a kick out of.

10. Member
    Could a gunsmith ream the 2 1/2" A5 chamber to 2 3/4"? Might have to enlarge ejection port slightly.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Could a gunsmith ream the 2 1/2" A5 chamber to 2 3/4"? Might have to enlarge ejection port slightly.
    That is probably not the thing to do to a collectible antique firearm even if it were feasible. But personally I would not judge anyone for putting something into service so that they can enjoy it.

I talked with Art of Arts Gunshop (one of the foremost Browning experts/gunsmith) last year and he could enlarge it…didn’t really recommend it though. I’d have to think long and hard before doing that… I want to keep it original.
    USAF Retired

13. Member
    A 5 barrels are interchangeable. I have a number of them but all in 12 ga. Whether or not there is even a 2 3/4 barrel made in 16 ga and even if there is would it fit I have no idea. Considering how the barrels are made I would not want to open one up a quarter inch farther.

The model 11 Remington was also offered in 16 gauge and if I'm not mistaken those barrels will also fit but trying to find one would be like finding chicken lips.

14. Member
    A 5 barrels are interchangeable. I have a number of them but all in 12 ga. Whether or not there is even a 2 3/4 barrel made in 16 ga and even if there is would it fit I have no idea. Considering how the barrels are made I would not want to open one up a quarter inch farther.

The model 11 Remington was also offered in 16 gauge and if I'm not mistaken those barrels will also fit but trying to find one would be like finding chicken lips.
    A Sweet 16 A5 barrel made in the 60's or later has a 2 3/4" chamber.

I understand the OP wanting to keep it original just offering a suggestion to allow the gun to be used with available shot shells.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    A Sweet 16 A5 barrel made in the 60's or later has a 2 3/4" chamber.

I understand the OP wanting to keep it original just offering a suggestion to allow the gun to be used with available shot shells.
    Yes but will such a barrel both fit and function on the short action?

Yes but will such a barrel both fit and function on the short action?
    I’m unsure if another 2 3/4” barrel would fit. Regardless, the receiver and fore grip must be modified to allow for the 2 1/2” shell.

I have a Sweet 16 and a Citori Grade II 16 that I can get my 16gauge fix with until I can procure some 2 1/2” shells.

I really appreciate everyone’s input and ideas

FWIW here’s a video from Art (former gunsmith at Browning) that shows the modification process. If you are a Browning fan I highly recommend you swing by his shop… his collection of Browning guns is incredible… I stopped counting at 250.

Last edited by J D; 04-08-2022 at 05:31 AM.
    USAF Retired

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J D View Post
    I’m unsure if another 2 3/4” barrel would fit. Regardless, the receiver and fore grip must be modified to allow for the 2 1/2” shell.
    And there would be the issue. From what I'm seeing the modifications to the receiver and forearm would still be necessary. But, I would sort of go back to one of Art's first comments and reactions. He gives off the feeling that he thinks this whole thing is a kind of no-no.

If it was me I would keep things original and extremely well maintained as is and maybe we'll get lucky and things in the future will change for the better so you can get what you need and then experience what you're looking for. My dad's 1903 I mentioned earlier is very worn externally and I have a box and a half of the original ammo he had left over from the 1940s but I will never shoot the ammo, yet I run some modern ammo through it on occasion just to help wonder what it was like when he was using it back then.

Thanks for the video. Sort of. Since Art has a string of videos up it's going to be a bit time consuming to watch them all.

Agreed. Too much sentimental value to alter this beautiful gun. Art was amazing when I visited him. I was thinking about having it restored… he told me there was nothing wrong with it at all… he gave it a good cleaning, a new spring… told me all it needed was to be shot! he gave me an awesome history lesson as he worked. I browsed his workshop… the beautiful Browning weapons…simply incredible.
    USAF Retired

19. Member

I am not sure how interchangable they are but I always thought that the remington had a single extractor and the browning had duel extractors. If true that would complicate things.

20. Member
    Reloading 2.5” isnt a big deal, go that route if you can get primers. It’s been a while since I had a 16 gauge, this is going back 12 or 15 years now, but the black ribbed Remington 16 gauge shells were everyone’s go-to for reloading, they were marked as two and three-quarter inch but they were actually a little short. When I measured actual lengths of 2 1/2 inch factory loads from RST and these Remington hulls, they were darn near identical. You may find that simply adjusting the crimp height on a mec loader Allows you to reload these hulls and use them interchangeably with 2 1/2 inch. Just keep pressure a little on the low side, no need to be excessive about it, but the only danger if you have the 16th or an eighth of an inch longer hull is a slight jump in the chamber pressure, but that is a modern firearm with good quality steel, not some 1800s no-name hardware-store thing that’s been rusted for half a century. You should’ve called me a year ago, I sold several garbage can sized trash bags full of short 16 gauge reloading components since I no longer owned the gun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast