Removing a 9 1/2" Rapid Jack from 1996 20XD

Looking to replace my 9 1/2" Rapid Jack with a 12" or 14" very soon. It's a 1996 20XD, 1998 225 ProMax with a Sportmaster lower unit. I've had it since 1998. It has had the ProMax since 2000. (It has spent the last SEVERAL years stored in my enclosed garage, and I finally am getting around to going over the motor, trailer, and boat to get it ready to get back on the water.)
    Over the years I've installed jack plates on 2 boats I've owned that didn't already have one, but never tried to remove one that's been factory installed more than 20 years. I can see a fine bead of silicone, or guessing 3M 4600 sealer around the edges. Wondering if the Rapid Jacks are normally difficult to separate from the transom once the bolts are removed?
    If so, any "been there done that" tips would be appreciated. I don't want to damage the transom gelcoat, or keep the motor hanging on the cherry picker longer than necessary. Also, because of being stored so long, this boat is as dry as it was when it was new. Are many of you all resealing through transom pumps and fittings after they get age on them, or are they generally okay if they haven't been disturbed? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Chuck Whitehead; 04-06-2022 at 06:51 AM.

2. Member
    Just curious why you want to change it.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    Unless they used 5200, you should have no problem removing the jackplate. You should see improved performance all around with the new plate.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

4. Member
    Besides the performance increase, the 12” & 14” plates are made of thicker aluminum. Also wanting to get a black powder coated plate.

5. Im wishin I was fishin
    Quote Originally Posted by gehol View Post
    Just curious why you want to change it.
    9.5 will get you a better holeshot 12 or 14 better top end but holeshot will suffer .

6. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    Good time to go over the transom and check for rotten places around the bolt holes.

7. Member
    I had no trouble removing mine when I changed to a 14”

1993 Bullet 20XD
    2000 Mercury ProMax 225