How long to leave charger plugged in for agm and lithium?

Recently changed to a 31 series agm crank battery and a single 36v TM battery with a new dual pro delta volt charger and set it up with the algorithms set to each battery.
    Having had flooded cell batteries for TM and a gold top optima as a starting battery previously I would just leave them plugged in from the time I returned from fishing till the time I would go again.
    What is the best method for this setup with the same charger doing both batteries? Charge for a few days and unplug or leave plugged in? Not sure.

2. Member
    I run the Precision charger with my lithiums. Just keep it plugged in, the battery management software takes care of the process. Have no problems with this method.

3. Member
    I always unplug the charger when the batteries reach full charge and plug it back up the night before i was going fishing.

Plug the NOCO in when I get home, charge until it reaches maintenance mode, unplug. Running lithium now, but used the same method with the previous AGM batteries. If I fish again within a week or two of initial recharging there’s really no need to plug them back the night before a trip.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    24/7 unless gone overnight.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I always unplug the charger when the batteries reach full charge and plug it back up the night before i was going fishing.
    This would be the safest thing to do.

7. Member
    ^^^This is what I do.^^^ I know that it is supposed to be safe to leave the batteries on the newer chargers all the time but I have heard to many stories about issues causing fires. I just pull the plug after they reach full charge so I don't have to worry about anything going wrong and not only messing up my boat but burning down my house.

8. Member
    Well after having a wet cell battery explode in my battery well, I charge after each trip unplug and plug in the night before.

9. Member
    I charge mine, when done, full, disconnect and wait until night before and plug back up. My ionics charge up in no time flat anyway. AGMs take a bit, all freaking night sometimes
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Member
    Charge, unplug when charged, plug in night before I go out
    2019 Ranger Z520c
    2019 Mercury 250 ProXS

11. Member
    Thanks for all the replies folks!

12. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    +1

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

13. Member
    lithium is best stored at partial charge.

I usually only get out once a week or once every other.
    I come off the water and leave the boat sit with batteries partially charged. I then plug in the night before heading out. Usually only needs a couple hours to reach full charge.

If you are someone who fishes multipole days a week then I would just leave plugged in all the time.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

14. Member
    What ammdrew said^^^^^^

Store at partial charge.

Plug lithiums in the night before I plan to go. Even if I forget there is enough power left for a 2nd full day of fishing.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post
    lithium is best stored at partial charge.

I usually only get out once a week or once every other.
    I come off the water and leave the boat sit with batteries partially charged. I then plug in the night before heading out. Usually only needs a couple hours to reach full charge.

If you are someone who fishes multipole days a week then I would just leave plugged in all the time.
    Partial charge is correct for long term storage, long term being more than 6 months. Week or so at partial vs full shouldn't affect anything from all the vendors I have talked to.
    Fish have fins, they swim

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Partial charge is correct for long term storage, long term being more than 6 months. Week or so at partial vs full shouldn't affect anything from all the vendors I have talked to.
    long term actually is actually considere 4 months .

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    ^^^This is what I do.^^^ I know that it is supposed to be safe to leave the batteries on the newer chargers all the time but I have heard to many stories about issues causing fires. I just pull the plug after they reach full charge so I don't have to worry about anything going wrong and not only messing up my boat but burning down my house.
    I run an AGM for cranking - electronics and (3) wet cell deep cycle for TM. Above is what I do and why I do it. I just have better peace of mind knowing that if the charger malfunctions and keeps charging the batteries that I won't damage them or even worse start a fire.

As some one who has had a battery cook overnight..... i would never leave them plugged in 24/7. True its a very small percentage.

I often leave my boat at my lake house right after fishing. I got a countdown timer switch so I can run the charger for up to 8 hours before it cuts off.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team