Banned

power pole 8ft vs 10ft?

Just ordered a nitro z19....I originally ordered 10 foot power poles but still have the option to change. My question to those of you who have experience with both.....is there a major different between the 10s and 8s? The price difference was only $200 so I originally elected for the 10s. do the 10s get in the way more or inconvenient for the person fishing in the back of the boat? Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    My opinion having had both 8 and 10. I had 8' and when fishing the rivers i would loose about 1-1.5' of pole length when fishing loose soft river bottom-shorelines. I did like the 8' when fishing the lake as the pole length worked great for fishing 5' or less. I noticed the same depth and using the 10' the poles it seemed the extra length was not as anchored for me on a solid bottom. 8' tend to fit through most garage doors. I ended up putting tilt brackets on mine and can tilt poles down when going in/out the grage door. I also added the brass quick disconnect fittings and when needed i can disconnect the lines and remove poles from the boat.

3. Member
    I purchased the 10s and have yet to get them, but my reason for the 10s is because I have been watching my sonar and find my boat sitting in 7 to 9 foot where I know I’d use them to anchor and fish. 8 foot would work here or there, but 10s would work more often. Probably depends on the lake you fish on which you’ll want.

4. Member
    I had the 10 footer on my boat and most of the time I wished it was 12 foot. In my case I ended up using my Ultrex so I took my power pole off. I really think it depends on where you fish and how you fish.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

5. Member
    I run 8' poles. My dad just put a 15' talon on his boat. He does more walleye fishing and he is in love with it so far. I find that if my poles won't hold because I'm to deep that is when I go to spotllock with the TM. If you can get the 10's you won't regret it other than the extra height. They are tall back there. As others said think about where you would use them the most. If you are in 7' alot and would want to be able to pole down get the 10's if you would use them in 5' or less I would stick with the 8's

6. Banned
    Got it. Thanks to all for the input. I think I will stick with the 10s

7. Member
    I have a pair of ten foot poles and had to buy hinges to lower them to get my boat in my shed. I now have a shop with taller doors so I am going to take hinges off as soon as I have time. Would not go in a 8 foot door but not a problem with 9 foot doors

I had 10s on my old boat and now I have 8s. The 10s were nice for anything deeper than about 6-7'. But water shallower than that and they would flex really bad and you would move quite a bit.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

As a rule of thumb, 8' for 6' depths, 10' for 8' depths.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

10. Member
    I have 8’ and wish I had 10’. Not really for holding bottom, but it run the paddles for deep
    water and they splash water into the boat when coming off plane. The 10’ would keep them quite a bit higher and not hit the water when coming off plane.