Why does an Optimax die after a long idle then fire right back up pumping the bulb

My 16 250 does this every now and then always after a longer than normal idle…other than that runs fantastic. What is slowly going bad to cause this?

SN 2B124174

Pulse pump, check valves or leaks on the suction side
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... and to clarify, that would be any air leak or restriction in the fuel SUPPLY to the pump (or a problem in the pump itself).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Can this thing (pump) lose prime? This only happens very sporadically. Always starts right back up pumping the bulb.

5. Member
    Primer bulb has a arrow that should be facing up for check valve to properly function
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dean c View Post
    Can this thing (pump) lose prime? This only happens very sporadically. Always starts right back up pumping the bulb.
    Well- the bulb is supposed to be pumped firm before each engine start, so yes (has more to do with the vaporization point of the fuel IN the line, though).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Thank you Don.

8. Member
    Not an expert but I had a similar problem with my optimax. I would get a portable fuel tank complete with hose and primer bulb. Connect the properly vented portable fuel tank directly to your pulse pump. Plug your existing fuel line. Launch your boat and take a long idle. If problem persists, your issue is with the mercury.
    If all goes well then I would look for the issue on the boat side.

9. Member
    winter blend fuels can be a problem also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................