Thread: Champ or Bullet

Champ or Bullet

Deciding between a 201sc Campion or a Bullet 20vee. Both are 20 plus years old but in great shape. Both trailers were well maintained. Gonna run a 150hp merc on either one I pick. Quick survey on what you all think

2. Member
    Quick Disclaimer, I have owned neither. Both brands will have their fan boys that tell you "you would be dumb not to go with XYZ."

IMO take a ride in both and consider what your goals are. First thing I noticed is that 150 seems small for what I assume are 2 20' boats. With a Champion being known for its rough water handling, and a Bullet being known for its speed, it seems like if you are stuck at 150, it would perform better with the Bullet. I also see a ton of people that bash go fast boats for terrible rough water handling, and then the go fast crowd basically says that they have never been in one or never been in one that was handled properly. A ton of go fast guys claim the go fast boats handle rough water the best, and I can't agree or disagree 100%, but my Skeeter is more difficult to make a smooth ride in rough water than my dads Stratos, and his Stratos is a more narrow more go fast than my Skeeter. It seems like my Skeeter is more of a battleship that tries to slap down instead of having a sharper narrower keel that cuts down.

Also I would look strongly and make sure that if you have a choice between a composite and a wood transom, chose composite. Another good question to me is if you love or could learn to love the layout of the compartments and the number of consoles. Next to me would be the general shape of the boat. Gel coat cracked, seats ripped, carpet worn, or soft decks?

3. Member
    If you are fishing big water I would definitely go with the champion.

One of those boats sits nose high at rest or with the trolling motor down and was the reason I chose to go a different route after fishing out of it. You need to ride in both, drop the trolling motor in both then decide. Also, as stated above both are seriously underpowered.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    Champ by far. I've owned a 20vee, I loved it but it is NOT a big water boat. I own a 21XRD now and love it.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

Lots to consider here since it appears that you are in a situation where you are going to be considerably under powered for either of these hulls with the 150 hp motor. The Bullet will obviously give you a little more top end with that motor. I see that you are from Chicago. I grew up there and I learned how to fish tournaments on Lake Michigan. If you plan on using this boat to fish Lake Michigan, then I think that the Champion would be a much better choice. Is there any possibility of selling the 150 and looking for a used 200 hp? If the boats are over 20 years old, I’d assume that they (at least the Champ) have 200hp max placards on them??

big water=champ
    go fast=bullet

In fact, with your 150hp, the bullet will perform better (to expectations)

8. Member
    What do you’all think of Charger boats back in the foxfire model days. See quite a few up here

I had one of the old Chargers. I loved everything about it except the white POS Johnson outboard that was on it.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

Champion over the 20Vee no doubt. Now if you can find a 21xd/xrd bullet...that would be my choice.

11. Member
    I would choose the Bullet after fishing out of a 20 Vee and 20 XD a lot. The front deck is small and low on the 20 Vee.
    My 21 XD Bullet at 20'10" would be a great choice for larger waters.

But I don't fish Lake Michigan. Never fished out of a Champion but have a friend who went from a Bullet to a Champion. Not for long....back in a Bullet.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

12. Member
    Both are underpowered with a 150. The Bullet probably weighs less by enough to make a difference in performance. I have a champ 210 and love it. I'm not familiar with the Bullet floor plan or the Champ you mention but that is important to me. If I get pissed every time I'm getting in a locker cabinet then I'm not a happy fisherman. I love the floorplan of my 210.

Charger makes a great well built boat. They also ride pretty good. Don't be afraid of a Charger. They are a premium hull IMO.
    GETFISHED !!!

Um... pretty sure the 201 would be a dog with a 150. Maybe the Bullet, too. IDK
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    If the boats are over 20 years old, I’d assume that they (at least the Champ) have 200hp max placards on them??
    The 201 is rated for "any V6"
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

15. Member
    The 20 V will be unrestricted. Definitely need a larger motor on either.

16. Member
    if you're fishing BIG water, get a bigger rig, 21RDC or XRD

17. Member
    champion with a yamaha 250hp

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

18. Member
    To let people who answered my post about a champ or bullet, I actually picked neither. I purchased a 1995 Charger 195. It has a 3 year old 150 merc. I’m not worried to much about top end speed but I’m hopeing 150 will be enough performance. I’m from burbs of Chicago (please don’t hold that against me, I’m serious) but I’ve never fished Lake Michigan. I fish Mississippi River mostly from savanna illinois to upin mn. Rend lake and Clinton lake also. Like I said 150hp and no jackplate. Any plus or minus comments would love to hear any

19. Member
    The 195 is an excellent boat and if your happy, that’s all that matters.