Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    But as far as the op. I like braid and tungsten in practice/fishing new areas so I can find hard bottom and shell beds usually BC I'm not gonna set it. On derby day I throw fluoro BC I break off less on hookset. If I really know where I'm fishing and its extra snaggy I'll even switch to a lead egg.

Last thing I can offer if using tungsten is forget wasting money on expensive barrel weights. Two worm weights butt to butt work just as good, get snagged less and are way cheaper.

2. Member
    Used to catch bunches of fish with mono on a c-rig. I use 17-20 lb. Flouro now without any issues.

3. Member
    Bobber stops were mentioned. I happened to see these bobber stops in the bargain bin at Dick's one day and thought they'd be perfect for c-rig and they turned out to work really well. Since they are bullet shaped, they slide through all kinds of stuff and protect my knot.

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Jeth...ge-JBSIPC.html

rs.php?path=JBSIPC-1.jpg
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

4. Member
    Awesome discussion guys, I really appreciate it. I was looking on Amazon and saw 18lb structure fluro for $18. It said it was out at this time, so I ordered with the how's I actually get it. I think y'all have just about talked me out of switching to braid.

I also really like the bobber stop idea. I've got some for flipping, so I'll try them out. Thanks everyone.
    Phoenix 919/Sho 225/solix 15s/ultrex/blades

Quote Originally Posted by AKFerzy7 View Post
    (snipped)
    Last thing I can offer if using tungsten is forget wasting money on expensive barrel weights. Two worm weights butt to butt work just as good, get snagged less and are way cheaper.
    I've been using the double worm weights, too. Two 3/8 for my 3/4 oz C-rig. As you said, cheaper, and hangs up much less.

Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    Someone posted here last year - the thin, clear plastic sleeves that fit over the first few inches of the line above the swivel to protect against abrasion.... anyone remember?
    I can't remember what he was using, it seems like it was simply clear surgical tubing, but I'm 99% sure it was Jeff Hahn who made the suggestion.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Member
    Someone posted here last year - the thin, clear plastic sleeves that fit over the first few inches of the line above the swivel to protect against abrasion.... anyone remember?
    Skirt collars work great for a cushion between the knot and the swivel.

7. Member
    I can't remember what he was using, it seems like it was simply clear surgical tubing, but I'm 99% sure it was Jeff Hahn who made the suggestion.[/QUOTE]

C-rig is kind of a pain to rig up and surgical tubing would be yet one more thing... but if it’s the kind of piece that would prevent re-tying repeatedly might be worth it. Hopefully Jeff Hahn will chime in. Thx

I can't remember what he was using, it seems like it was simply clear surgical tubing, but I'm 99% sure it was Jeff Hahn who made the suggestion.
    C-rig is kind of a pain to rig up and surgical tubing would be yet one more thing... but if it’s the kind of piece that would prevent re-tying repeatedly might be worth it. Hopefully Jeff Hahn will chime in. Thx[/QUOTE]

I fixed that by tying up leaders including swivel and hook, and storing them on leader spools from Cabela's. Since I seldom or never broke off the main line, it was just a matter of re-using the sinker and bead, and tying to a new leader off the leader spool. The first time I tried a traditional heavy C'rig, I used 1/2 oz bullet weights from BPS.

This time, I found "Ultra Steel 2000" 3/4 oz egg sinkers at Wallyworld and put heat shrink tube liners in the holes to reduce the abrasion on the main line. I think there's a tendency to make way longer casts than ideal for hooksets...just because you can. I'm not sure if I'll like 3/4 oz more than 1/2 oz or not, but since the fish shouldn't be feeling the weight, why not? Could be wrong...
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

9. Member
    I ended up getting some sunline structure in 16lb. First impressions are it felt thinner than the what I was using.

I used it all week and man was I impressed. It's so sensitive. It will take me a while to get used to. It's so sensitive I set the hook on rocks many times. I caught 3 fish in a row that were as far out as I could throw a Carolina rig. I stuck all 3 hard and got them in the boat. Very impressed so far. I appreciate all the advice.

10. Member
    Braid to swivel then whatever line you like.

Quote Originally Posted by TwinStick View Post
    I ended up getting some sunline structure in 16lb. First impressions are it felt thinner than the what I was using.

I used it all week and man was I impressed. It's so sensitive. It will take me a while to get used to. It's so sensitive I set the hook on rocks many times. I caught 3 fish in a row that were as far out as I could throw a Carolina rig. I stuck all 3 hard and got them in the boat. Very impressed so far. I appreciate all the advice.
    I'm glad to hear this. I've still got Shooter spooled up that lasted me all season last year, but the normal place I order from was out of the 18 lb that I usually use so I ordered the Structure for this year instead. Glad to hear you're liking it!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Looked up Sunline Structure, to find out it's a fluorocarbon line, so it's overpriced IMO.

I just hold the rod/reel so that the line is either over a finger or between thumb and finger. I drag the bait with the rod, reel up slack, and repeat. Saw that trick being used on In-Fisherman TV years ago...but they didn't say a word about it. I had taped the show and went through multiple play/rewinds to figure out what the guy was doing. I think it was Steve Quinn.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

13. Member
    C-rig is kind of a pain to rig up and surgical tubing would be yet one more thing... but if it’s the kind of piece that would prevent re-tying repeatedly might be worth it. Hopefully Jeff Hahn will chime in. Thx[/QUOTE]

IV tubing from the hospital.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brushsjigs View Post
    C-rig is kind of a pain to rig up and surgical tubing would be yet one more thing... but if it’s the kind of piece that would prevent re-tying repeatedly might be worth it. Hopefully Jeff Hahn will chime in. Thx
    IV tubing from the hospital.[/QUOTE]

Yes, trying to remember the diameter he was using...

I think I found the thread where Jeff suggested it. He's got a couple great suggestions in that thread, but about 3/4 down he mentions he just uses IV tubing, no set diameter: http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1102845
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

16. Member
    Awesome, thanks Drew! -Fry

17. Member
    I just happen to be an ICU charge nurse. I've got iv tubing abound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12