Lake Malone first trip there

Heading there in a few weeks, any insight? Things to watch out for, etc. Thanks, Mike

2. Member
    Bluff lake, fairly narrow. Haven’t fished it much this time of year but during the summer only way to catch them is at night….seems some giants come out of it. If you go back behind the overpass please use caution, a lady was killed there recently during a night tournament. There are buoys with flashers on them for a reason.

^^^

Pleasure boat central during the summer time. 100% night time fishing lake

4. Member
    Thanks much. Going in 2 weeks, fishing Thurs-Fri only, so likely not much recreational traffic. any recommendation of baits this time of year? Or just chuck everything like usual (spinnerbait, crank, jigs, etc.)?

5. Member
    Grew up fishing Malone. Shallower areas are around Sherwood Point and past the bridge at Shady Cliff. Don't know what the current temp, lake level and color are but in normal conditions I would throw spinner baits and crankbaits. If water has a lot of color then throw brighter colors. Most of the better fish I caught there over the years were in the creeks. Main lake areas, except for the odd fish have never been that productive for me.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."

6. Member
    Thanks kyrangerman. Staying across the way from Shady Cliff resort at an airbnb. Hitting the water a week from tomorrow, can't wait.

7. Member
    If you're going to be there for a few days you'll basically be able to fish the entire lake. It's only about 900 acres. Above the bridge at Shady Cliff you almost at the headwaters. I usually hit the Sherwood Point area since there are more smaller creek inlet arms there where you can fish laydowns. Not much in the way of standing timber still remaining. The lake was impounded around 1962 and it's not drawn down like a lot of the other lakes. Lot of lakefront development so there are a lot of docks to throw around, mostly on the main lake though. Good luck and let us know how you do.
    2000 Ranger R83
    2000 Evinrude Ficht 150
    MG Trolling Motor
    Garmin ECHOMAP 63cv, Garmin Striker 7 (helm)
    Garmin ECHOMAP 93sv, ECHOMAP 73sv (bow)

"I've got the boat, the rods and reels, the lures . . . now if I could only catch some fish."