Wilson/Wheeler vs Guntersville ?

I am looking at homes in Northern Alabama and want to be very close to great Bass fishing. I know G-ville is great . How does Wilson / Wheeler compare to G-ville. There are interesting towns by both Lakes and depending on the town have about the same proximity to Huntsville's hospitals which I need to have.

Thanks Guys

2. Member
    I don't know which is better but you can include Pick Wick with Wilson/Wheeler.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    From what I have heard wheeler is on the upswing right now.. They are supposedly letting the grass come back. If you moved to Madison, that would be close to wheeler, about an hour to Wilson/pickwick and about an hour from guntersville. Don't forget about Smith lake certain times of the year. Cullman is a good area to raise a family and your about an hour to Huntsville. 30 minutes to wheeler. 20 minutes to smith. 45 minutes to guntersville, hour and 15 to Wilson/pickwick.
    Joey Aderhold

You can't really compare them to each other because they are so different. Sure they each have shallow water, deep water, bluffs, flats, ledges, docks, wood and rocks but they each fish so different. Wilson is my favorite even though it can be very frustrating sometimes which they all can.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wareagle24 View Post
    You can't really compare them to each other because they are so different. Sure they each have shallow water, deep water, bluffs, flats, ledges, docks, wood and rocks but they each fish so different. Wilson is my favorite even though it can be very frustrating sometimes which they all can.
    I actually understand that they are different. I'm just looking to hear how they are different and how a new fisherman to the area like myself might choose to live near one over the other. For example, I am not a very good clear lake deep water fisherman. I am most comfortable in 15' and shallower water that is a bit stained. I'm comfortable with current etc..

I fish them all and live about the same distance from each. When I'm not practicing for a tournament I enjoy Wilson the most. Quality largemouth and smallmouth and lots of choices in how to fish.

7. Member
    I agree Madison puts you in the center of it all. However, the housing market is off the chain! Homes are going 10-20% over asking price.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bamabassin View Post
    I agree Madison puts you in the center of it all. However, the housing market is off the chain! Homes are going 10-20% over asking price.
    There seem to be homes available in Madison but I'm hoping to get a bit closer to fishing and not looking to have my neighbor 25 ft from me (side to side and thats what I have seen in Madison . If I'm wrong please let me know I'm just looking at pictures.

The Rogersville or Killen area would be worth looking at.

10. Member
    I'm in Woodville (Lim Rock technically) which is just west of Scottsboro and love it out here. We avoid the hustle and bustle of the Huntsville/Madison area day to day but it's a quick commute in when we go. You can look at Grant, New Hope, Owens Cross Roads and the other areas here too off of 431 which make for a quick access to Huntsville Hospital main campus. There's a launch right at the low side of Guntersville dam which would be the beginning of Wheeler lake and a tons of launches on G'ville to pick from within a few minutes of there. So access to either within a few minutes of each other.

I'm fishing a tourney next month on Wheeler and it will be my first time out on the lake, I'll provide more feedback once I experience it but have heard it's getting better. The Florence area is very nice for the few times I've experienced it but may be a bit far for HH access?

You are correct Madison has exploded over the past 10 years and the traffic reminds me of big city traffic (I'm originally from Detroit myself). The little 2 lane roads have a hard time supporting that amount of flow to the point I will avoid the area during commute hours. New construction everywhere and people are coming in from all over the country. We were in the New Market area for the first 7 years we lived here and all the farmland around us when we first moved in was bought up and developed and is now huge neighborhoods.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ss30378 View Post
    I'm in Woodville (Lim Rock technically) which is just west of Scottsboro and love it out here. We avoid the hustle and bustle of the Huntsville/Madison area day to day but it's a quick commute in when we go. You can look at Grant, New Hope, Owens Cross Roads and the other areas here too off of 431 which make for a quick access to Huntsville Hospital main campus. There's a launch right at the low side of Guntersville dam which would be the beginning of Wheeler lake and a tons of launches on G'ville to pick from within a few minutes of there. So access to either within a few minutes of each other.

I'm fishing a tourney next month on Wheeler and it will be my first time out on the lake, I'll provide more feedback once I experience it but have heard it's getting better. The Florence area is very nice for the few times I've experienced it but may be a bit far for HH access?

You are correct Madison has exploded over the past 10 years and the traffic reminds me of big city traffic (I'm originally from Detroit myself). The little 2 lane roads have a hard time supporting that amount of flow to the point I will avoid the area during commute hours. New construction everywhere and people are coming in from all over the country. We were in the New Market area for the first 7 years we lived here and all the farmland around us when we first moved in was bought up and developed and is now huge neighborhoods.
    Thanks for the feedback. So my GF seems to be finding more job opportunities in the southern end of Huntsville, Cullman, and Arab. That being said we might be focusing on g ville and south.

12. Member
    Cullman - good schools, good sports, got bakery (duchess bakery downtown)
    Arab - armpit until you get around Cherokee Ridge area, would not recommend living there
    Madison - growing population. Schools are good but big. Pretty decent in school sports.

If if I had a choice, I'd live in Cullman but I'm partial to it because that's where I grew up. It's grown since they went wet (alcohol) but it's very centrally located to any fishing you want to do, just decide on a direction and go N S E W, you'll run into something.
    Joey Aderhold

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Cullman - good schools, good sports, got bakery (duchess bakery downtown)
    Arab - armpit until you get around Cherokee Ridge area, would not recommend living there
    Madison - growing population. Schools are good but big. Pretty decent in school sports.

If if I had a choice, I'd live in Cullman but I'm partial to it because that's where I grew up. It's grown since they went wet (alcohol) but it's very centrally located to any fishing you want to do, just decide on a direction and go N S E W, you'll run into something.
    Thank you for this post . So ARAB isn't such a nice town? I thought it's location was perfect if you found work in Cullman or lower Huntsville. Also, whats this Wet deal? Do you mean there are areas that don't allow you to drink Alcohol? If so are there other areas that don't allow you to drink? Not that I'm a huge drinker but I do enjoy sippin on a bourbon .

Wet counties sale alcohol.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

15. Member
    Are any of the counties around G-ville dry?

16. 2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries