MG Xi5 (SW) not turning

Hi there, I have a SW MG Xi5, about 5 years old, that started showing issues with turning. When I use the remote to turn, it only moves about 1-2 inches on either direction and then stops moving. When it stops moving, I can hear a faint whistle type noise coming from the transmission assembly. One thing I also noticed is that it no longer powered off when in the cradled position. I ran direct 12v power to the transmission and it turned all the way, same in the other direction when I switched the direct cables over. I called MG customer service and they said it all pointed to a bad circuit board. I got that replaced and although not it does power off while in the stored position, it still only turns 1-2 inches each way. Direct power still turns the transmission all the way although now when it stops moving with the remote, the noise it makes is louder than before. Do I need to replace the transmission assembly in order to fix the issue even though it still turns with direct 12v attached? I did notice it turns slower with direct power but still turns all the way each direction. Ive been trying to find a how to video on how to switch the assembly, if it turns out that is the next step, but there is literally nothing out there for the xi5 SW. Any help will be appreciated.
    Last edited by LeRubio; 03-27-2022 at 02:22 PM.

2. Member
    When you applied power to the transmission was it in stowed or deployed. if deployed it may be the notch where the depth collar sets is broken. If not then it probably the transmission.
    You have to remove the dead and then remove the pin that is holding the unit to the base. disconnect the wires and pull out of the cover. run the new wire through the cover and connect them. that should be it.

3. Member
    Thanks that is helpful. Before I replace the transmission though, the fact that with direct power it turns all the way in each direction made me question my wiring from the battery. Sure enough I had installed a circuit breaker (as per MG recommendation) and a battery cut-off switch for additional safety between the battery and the motor. Looks like all these contacts are corroded so I ordered a new power cable and will hook up directly to the battery to see if it resolves it. If not, ill resort to a new transmission assembly. Ill post an update.

4. Member
    Last summer I had intermittent steering issues on an Xi5 that got progressively worse to the point it was unusable. Anchor mode wouldn't even work. The problem ended up being the remote, and everything went back to working like new when I paired it to a new remote. But mine wasn't having the other issues you are having.

5. Member
    So turns out it was probably just the wire going to the battery and the corroded contacts on the breaker / cut off switch.. Works all good now. I ended up replacing the circuit board anyway since it was not shutting off when stowed, probably a bad reed switch. Thanks all for your suggestions.

6. Member
    Glad it's fixed and thanks for posting the solution.