Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motorguide Tour Pro

I just wanted to see what the consensus was on the Motorguide tour pro. I got the funds and approval from the wife to get a new trolling motor and was all set to order an Ultrex, but now I’m unable to find one to buy. I thought about a Force or Ghost, but really don’t think I can justify the extra cost. I just don’t think I would utilize the the extra features, I really just want spot lock. That led me to the Tour Pro. Found mixed reviews, some love it some hate it. Obviously lots of complaints with the recall and recall parts availability. Are the new motors being shipped with the updated recall parts? How are they functioning after the recall? The closest MG service center is about 3 hours away from me. What would you guys do in my boat? Prime time starts now for me. Do I? A- wait for an Ultrex (sounds like 1-2 months, but who knows) B- quit being a tight a$$ and buy the Force C- get the Motorguide and hope for the best?

I love mine. It works flawlessly. Mine work before the recall, had an issue after I got it back from recall. Mine was the first one the service center did the recall on and all they did was replace the board. I had to take it back for them to calibrate after that no issues.

3. Member
    Recall issue aside, I really like my Tour Pro. I like the fact that if the GPS or drive motor were to stop working I can still use the TM and fish on.
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

Went out this morning. That makes 9-10 trips and it’s performed flawlessly. Motor was ordered/received in November 2021. Lift assist makes deploy/stow almost effortless. Super quiet when operating, or in Anchor Mode. The built-in HD+ Sonar is impressive.
    I love mine.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I’m really leaning towards the Tour Pro. I like the ideas of the cables being able to control the motor in the event of an electronics failure. Does anyone know if the new motors are being shipped with the recall update?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Humboldtnick View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I’m really leaning towards the Tour Pro. I like the ideas of the cables being able to control the motor in the event of an electronics failure. Does anyone know if the new motors are being shipped with the recall update?
    Yes they are.

7. Member
    Ordered mine friday

8. Member
    After recall work my MG Tour Pro with GPS & SNR anchors flawlessly; it's a great asset, runs quiet.

9. Member
    Love mine. It's subject to the recall, but I am not touching it because it works perfectly. I honestly do not use spot lock that much anyway.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Love mine. It's subject to the recall, but I am not touching it because it works perfectly. I honestly do not use spot lock that much anyway.
    That’s my favorite feature among the many improvements above my Tour 82. I like being able to hit Anchor Mode and pound one spot before moving on. And it’s great when I sit down to tie on baits, or eat lunch, or just relax for a few minutes.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    These are the posts I’ve been waiting to start reading so I could make my decision. I’ve always liked the part about still having the cables in case something electronic crapped out. Gonna start shopping around now

12. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Sounds promising now that they are giving it software update to help correct the issue. Have the Ultrex but that thing is noisy and jerky.....i'll keep an eye on these types of post to see how its working out and see if i want to replace my Ultrex.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Sounds promising now that they are giving it software update to help correct the issue. Have the Ultrex but that thing is noisy and jerky.....i'll keep an eye on these types of post to see how its working out and see if i want to replace my Ultrex.
    Noisy and Jerky is a sign that there is a problem with the Steering Module. I would get it replaced cuz it may leave you on the water.

14. Member
    I am on the second year with mine and like it. Its ugly and I have had a problem with it unlocking while hitting waves if I have it set shallow. I have not done the recall yet as I wait for parts. I bought mine without the transducer. It is the most affordable of the group when I bought mine.

15. Member
    You may need to have someone 3D print a nose cone.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Noisy and Jerky is a sign that there is a problem with the Steering Module. I would get it replaced cuz it may leave you on the water.
    Nothing is wrong, its just how it operates......its just not a quite troller when its turning.....

Quote Originally Posted by fishin couillon View Post
    Nothing is wrong, its just how it operates......its just not a quite troller when its turning.....
    Mine is quieter when the electric motor is doing all the work in Anchor Mode. It's barely audible. I can hear the electric motor turn when using the foot pedal, but that can be lessened somewhat by lowering the pedal resistance. Overall, the MG Tour is quieter to the other two brands of spot lock-capable TMs I've fished around on a regular basis.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

18. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Thanks for the info J.R.....

19. Member
    So to to follow up on this, I ended up purchasing a tour pro about a week and a half ago. Have been out with it 4 days now and I really couldn’t be any happier with it. Fished a tournament over the weekend, wind was blowing 20+mph with strong gusts. This was in very rough water, the trolling motor prop was coming out the water and I was occasionally taking water over the bow. So the conditions were about as bad as I will ever fish, and the motor worked flawlessly. The spotlock and heading functions worked perfect. I really liked the pedal feel and response, was smooth and quiet. The lift assist was very easy compared to the Fortrex. I prefer to use my right foot on the pedal, and I found that I really like having the momentary power button on the right side of the pedal as opposed to the left side on the Fortrex that I previously had. Thank you all who replied and helped me with this decision.

20. Member
    had mine a year and no issues at all. From WI to FL been flawless. I do the compass cal 2-3 times after i travel and been great. I went away from the Katana and put on a 3 blade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast