I'm the unknown stuntman todd_j's Avatar

New to me 2017 BF150 question on yearly service.

Hey guys I just purchased a new to me boat with a 150. I'm new to 4 strokes, only had two strokes up till now. The marina that has been servicing it is using 25/40 Mercury synthetic blend oil, oil change at marina is $140.
    Is there any reason why I can't go to an full synthetic mobile 1, amsoil or Lucas 10w30, and do it myself? Not looking to use cheap stuff, however, I can get two WIX filters and enough synthetic oil for two oil changes for $140. I noticed the manual calls for 10w30. It does not specify a filter, It just says compatible. When I asked the marina about it they said that's just what we have in the 55 gallon barrels, they use Mercury fluids for everything with Honda paper filter.
    Last edited by todd_j; 03-26-2022 at 04:54 PM.

2. Member
    You are correct about 10W-30. Here is what my manual Says about type of oil. It’s up to you, personally, if I’m spending thousands on a boat, why skimp out on maintenance products. JMHO
    “Honda recommends that you use API SERVICE category SG, or SH oil with the “starburst” certification mark displayed on the container.”

3. I'm the unknown stuntman todd_j's Avatar
    Could not agree more! I cant figure out why the marina would use 25/40 other than its cheap for them to get in bulk. Here is a nice chart for API SERVICE categories for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by bqtoot View Post
    You are correct about 10W-30. Here is what my manual Says about type of oil. It’s up to you, personally, if I’m spending thousands on a boat, why skimp out on maintenance products. JMHO
    “Honda recommends that you use API SERVICE category SG, or SH oil with the “starburst” certification mark displayed on the container.”
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Member
    I use amsoil 10w30 and have use oem honda filter to mobil 1 filter. I believe i'm on a WIX filter right now but will have to double check. Also using amsoil lower unit gear oil also.
    97 Ranger r82 with 05 honda bf150, Helix 10 mega link with 1198c, Ultrex 80. Fish hard and keep hooking.

5. Member
    Old post, but figured I'd update.
    Many older manuals (like mine) state SG or SH category oil. However, those categories are obsolete. The newer ones are SJ, SL, and SM with SN being the current API. So when purchasing oil, look for the latest since oil standards are continually improved.
    Just an FYI.