Thread: Prop Question

Pro Guide V-16SC

I have a Pro Guide V16SC that had a 60HP 4 stroke Mercury on it, but I was dissatisfied with the performance so I'm upgrading to a 90HP Mercury 4 stroke. Is anyone currently running a 90 on their Pro Guide and if so, what prop (dia, pitch, # of blades) are you running or what do you recommend? What kind of speed can I expect?
    Or if someone has a similar boat with a 90? Any info will help! Thanks!
    Last edited by Don M; 03-27-2022 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Just trying for a reply!

2. Member
    The Mercury website has a "prop selection guide", you will need the boat weight, prop material, etc. My 16.5 ft. Lund has a 75 Optimax and I use a 4 blade aluminum Spitfire (19"). I also run a 17 pitch SS Trophy Plus (4 blade). My boat came with a 3 blade (19") aluminum "Black Max", but in turns would blow out, the 2 props I use give just a little less speed at wot, but the holeshot is better. My RPM are in the rpm range at wot as well (5400-5600). Cavitation plate even with bottom of boat, and my top speed is between 36-39 mph. My boat is on the heavy side, with dual consoles and front and rear casting decks.

Solas HR Titon 19P is a cheaper option in stead of spending 600 on a spitfire and a hub. . Google it you can find one in the 300 range already with the factory hub. I lucked up on e bay pawn shop had one bran new 266 dollars shipped. Look around there deals out there.
    Going from a 60 to a 90 hp you are going to see a lot of difference in speed and holdshot.
    I run a 190Tx with 5 batterys lot of mod that added weight. . Moved a lot of my weight forward to . 40 mph top speed with a 90 hp but hole shot is crazy. Cruise at 30 to 32 mph. You will like the difference in the two motors.
    190TX Tracker 24' Striper offshore
    Southern living. Coastal North Carolina

4. Member
    Thanks a ton for the info, very helpful.