Thread: Trailer issues?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trailer issues?

Anyone having issues with their trailer scuffing up the bottom of their boat I noticed it started so I brought it back to the dealer they buffed everything out loaded my boat for five more times and it is scuffing it up again the trailer is very particular on where it wants to be for the nose not to go under the roller with that being said I see no reason my boat should be getting scuffed up from the carpet my last boat was 17 years old and had zero scuffs from this
    2020 Bass Cat Lynx DC Mercury 300. Dual Hummingbird Solix 12’s

2. Member
    If the nose/TM lip is not going over the bow roller, then you have a steep ramp. You are backing the boat a little too deep. 2 solutions. One, don't back it in as far and just winch it up as the nose will clear. Steeper the ramp, the less you back it.... This can be difficult, so some back the trailer all the way in to wet the carpet on the bunks and this pull out. Second system is what I use. Same start, don't back the trailer in as far, pull the boat up almost to the roller by power loading, or just hook it up and winch just a bit, get in the truck and pull it up just enough so the bow clears the roller, winch it up. On very steep ramps, after you winch it up over the bow roller you may have to back it back down a bit deeper to make winching easy. Just had to do this off a very steep private ramp on Lake Norman, all by myself. After a couple times, you don't even think about it.
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

3. Member
    Another thing to consider…upgrade to a Fulton F2 2 speed winch. It costs about$150. Then you can avoid going in very deep and then easily winch the last foot or so in low gear. You will be amazed how effortless it is to winch it. This is what I do with my Ranger on steep ramps. Works great.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangerranger View Post
    Another thing to consider…upgrade to a Fulton F2 2 speed winch. It costs about$150. Then you can avoid going in very deep and then easily winch the last foot or so in low gear. You will be amazed how effortless it is to winch it. This is what I do with my Ranger on steep ramps. Works great.
    First thing I did when I got my boat, that. Heavy two speed Fulton is a hoss!

Thanks guys. I have tried winching the boat up and everything y’all have mentioned getting the boat on the trailer is not the issue the issue is the underside of my boat getting scuffed but from the bunks due to it needing to be out the water so far to clear the roller. It doesn’t matter if I winch it up or power up it is still so shallow to clear the roller it’s scuffing the crap out my boat. And I did already upgrade to the Fulton F2. Works great but still scuffing it bad

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bean1187 View Post
    Thanks guys. I have tried winching the boat up and everything y’all have mentioned getting the boat on the trailer is not the issue the issue is the underside of my boat getting scuffed but from the bunks due to it needing to be out the water so far to clear the roller. It doesn’t matter if I winch it up or power up it is still so shallow to clear the roller it’s scuffing the crap out my boat. And I did already upgrade to the Fulton F2. Works great but still scuffing it bad
    Do you fully submerge your trailer (and pull it up) before loading, i have always done that with most all my boats. You are right about loading, you need to leave a lot of carpet dry when loading.

7. Member
    Anyone having issues with their trailer scuffing up the bottom of their boat I noticed it started so I brought it back to the dealer they buffed everything out loaded my boat for five more times and it is scuffing it up again the trailer is very particular on where it wants to be for the nose not to go under the roller with that being said I see no reason my boat should be getting scuffed up from the carpet my last boat was 17 years old and had zero scuffs from this
    What year is your boat?

Yes I always wet my carpet then pull up to the sweet spot.still doesn’t seem to prevent scuffing My boat is a 2021

9. Member
    I have seen some guys install a lot better grade carpet on their bunks and they said it took care of their problems as far as leaving scratches. Mine does not seem to be doing that and i am very particular with my rig.

Thanks Caymas Rodney. I am very particular with mine as well. Do you know what carpet they have installed that is not causing the issues?

11. Member
    Thanks Caymas Rodney. I am very particular with mine as well. Do you know what carpet they have installed that is not causing the issues?
    It’s a lot better grade carpet, your dealer should be able to get it, doesn’t have to come from Caymas!!

12. Member
    Bean1187,

I have a 2020 CX 21 and noticed the same concern with my black bottom (always had white). My trailer was mfg by Marine Master - yours is probably Bench Mark. There is a lot of chatter regarding the loading/unloading with Bench Mark...

13. Member
    OOPPS - hit enter key..sorry....Anyways..not bashing Bench Mark - there's been some concern with the Caymas falling off when unloading. The info on both trailers require you to back the trailer in all the way..then pull out until the back 1/4 of the rear fender in in the water. In short - these trailers like shallow water. Of course this depends on the angle of the ramp. Once the CX 21 is centered and loaded to a stop, you can power-up the rest of the way and not impact the fron of your boat/trolling motor. This removes the friction on the boards..and reduces the white powder/scratches. I took my boat/trailer to Marine Master and had them add a new axle with disc brakes. I also had them replace the bunk boards as mine as yours was showing wood. I also purchased Slydz-on bunk spray ( I guess you could use silicon) and applied to the carpet on the bunks. NOW - loading and unloading is extremely easy with no issues and little friction. The only caution - keep your boat hooked up until at the water..especially in the winter. Hope this helps..I did post on here several months ago my concern...CaymasRodney and Billproxs are excellent resources.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasTom View Post
    OOPPS - hit enter key..sorry....Anyways..not bashing Bench Mark - there's been some concern with the Caymas falling off when unloading. The info on both trailers require you to back the trailer in all the way..then pull out until the back 1/4 of the rear fender in in the water. In short - these trailers like shallow water. Of course this depends on the angle of the ramp. Once the CX 21 is centered and loaded to a stop, you can power-up the rest of the way and not impact the fron of your boat/trolling motor. This removes the friction on the boards..and reduces the white powder/scratches. I took my boat/trailer to Marine Master and had them add a new axle with disc brakes. I also had them replace the bunk boards as mine as yours was showing wood. I also purchased Slydz-on bunk spray ( I guess you could use silicon) and applied to the carpet on the bunks. NOW - loading and unloading is extremely easy with no issues and little friction. The only caution - keep your boat hooked up until at the water..especially in the winter. Hope this helps..I did post on here several months ago my concern...CaymasRodney and Billproxs are excellent resources.
    Hope you enjoy your boat, Trailer, Tom. Always nice to be headed in the right direction. Enjoy.

CaymasTom thanks I will look the spray up in hopes it helps me out. It’s in the shop getting buffed out now

16. Member
    He three of them and not an issue with scratching or loading.

I’m not having an issue loading the boat when it’s where it wants to be it loads fine but scratches the crap out the bottom and I do not fish sandy water. I had a black bottom Triton for 17 years and never had a scuff on it using it on the same water and exact ramps I use my Caymas on

18. Member
    Can you remove the old winch and install aFulton F2 2 speed winch yourself?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burnerator View Post
    Can you remove the old winch and install aFulton F2 2 speed winch yourself?
    Yes in a about five minutes or less.

20. Member
    I put the 2 speed winch on mine 2 years ago. I installed mine also myself.Excellent upgrade never looked back Fulton f2 2 speed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast