Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    YouTube TV because it has local news and local network channels regardless of where you are. You can login anywhere. Hulu Live still has restrictions that limit you to switching zip codes for their service only 4 times per year. We have a lake house where we spend half our time. I need a streaming service that portable so I can login when away from home. Sling TV would be my 2nd choice.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member
    One watch out is make sure your wifi router can handle all of your streaming needs. We replaced our old router with a mesh system when we ditched cable for YouTube TV. Works great on all of our TVs and devices.
    Mike Smith

3. Member
    If your primary goal is to save money, you may want to re-negotiate with your current provider. YoutubeTV and Dish are about the same cost now that you don't need a Dish satellite box for every TV in your house.

4. Member
    Hulu for over a year now. No problems. Wife has added a few other streams (keeps her happy ... no big deal)
    Hulu has a very good app that I use on my phone and laptop often.
    We share Netflix and Amazon Prime with my in-laws.
    Last edited by WisconsinF; 03-23-2022 at 04:48 PM.

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muddywaters View Post
    What is IPTV and how does it work compared to other services. I have heard it mentioned in other cut the cord threads here. I to am looking to dump dish. I am very unfamiliar with all this cut the cord stuff and streaming in general.
    IPTV includes things like Hulu and youtube but that is not all of them.

IPTV as it is to most people are really cheap TV deals to watch all kinds of channels. Most are illegal because they are broadcasting stations without paying the franchise fee to the station (Like YoutubeTV pays ESPN/discover/TNT/etc.... so much a month to broadcast them).

Many people do use them and don't get caught but the service will eventually get shutdown.

https://www.makeuseof.com/is-iptv-legal/

We switched to Hulu about a month or two ago. My takes on it (most of them are first world problems) We had direct tv streaming before and ATT Uverse before that for comparison.
    1. Picture quality is not as good, Hulu does not have HD, most things are ok, but on my 70 in tv you can definitely tell a difference.
    2. I think it has to do with wifi signal, but sometimes the picture quality gets really bad (think 1990 video game)
    3. Surround sound does not work like it did on our direct tv streaming.
    4. It freezes up more than I like and has to buffer
    5. The DVR doesn't always keep track of where you are in the show. For example I watch 20 minutes of an hour show, when I go back to watch the rest of it, I often have to start back at the beginning and fast forward to where I was. (Sometimes it keeps track, sometimes not not sure why)
    6. I miss the days of just turning on the tv and flipping through the channels. I have to turn on the tv, find the hulu app, click on my profile, click on live tv, go through the guide to find the right channel and then wait for it to buffer and then I can watch the news in the morning.

7. Member
    my .02…

Start here https://www.suppose.tv/tv
    This site will allow you to pick the channels including locals that are important to you and show you what services will provide them to let you do a direct comparison both streaming and traditional cable.

That said we have been streaming for about 5 years now and with a few different services over the years. Would i switch back to traditional cable? Nope, no way. I’m saving over $100 a month off what cable would cost me here for the small handful of non local channels that we watch.
    Last edited by jb882; 03-23-2022 at 06:55 PM.

also doing YT (currently) but always like to see other peoples suggestions and channel choices
    Putting a clown in the castle doesn't make him a king, it turns the castle into a circus

Direct stream if you like the regional sports channels. Like others I add Friendly tv and total bill is about $100/month.

Quote Originally Posted by Madmar View Post
    Since changing to streaming versus cable or satellite, are you satified with streaming or do you wish you had not changed. We are considering streaming. What provider do you like best - Hulu, Youtube, or some other streaming service. We currently have dish with local channels. We need some type of service because we are unable to receive local channels because of the distance to a major city.
    Definitely Satisfied!
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

I paid 9.00 a month for the IPTV I use..

99.99 + taxes/fees for internet a month

60.00 ea. a year for MOTV & EpsnPlus

Very few issues with my setup.

We use fire stick and get Sling mainly for the fishing shows and ACC network. Also have Tubi (free) and is great if you like some of the older shows and movies. Downloaded the MOTV app and they have some free outdoor shows to watch.
    A mistake on your part does not constitute a emergency on my part.

13. Member
    My question can someone on DSL ATT do this streaming, i am wanting to cut out att, direct tv in the worst way, i just dont think my internet strength is there to do you tube and streaming all the time.

14. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    my .02…

Start here https://www.suppose.tv/tv
    This site will allow you to pick the channels including locals that are important to you and show you what services will provide them to let you do a direct comparison both streaming and traditional cable.

That said we have been streaming for about 5 years now and with a few different services over the years. Would i switch back to traditional cable? Nope, no way. I’m saving over $100 a month off what cable would cost me here for the small handful of non local channels that we watch.
    Very helpful site indeed. I punched in all of our favorite stations and it recommended YT for $65 a month.

We got fiber optics service a couple of years ago. Unfortunately with our internet, channel subscription and service we are paying over $180 a month for all. Not too mention my monthly AppleTV+ and Paramount+ streaming subscriptions.

I would have switched to YT a couple of years ago but I'm afraid my wife would be technically challenged if she can't just pick up one remote and it already be set on one of her favorite major network channels. Is the need for multi remotes even a thing or can it all be operated and navigated through one remote? She watches all of her shows on three channels while I like all of the educational, sports, and outdoor shows.

15. Member
    I dropped DISH two years ago and started with Hulu, I switched to YouTubeTV when Hulu raised the price, I have been very pleased with YTTV and will never go back to a dish or cable. Also if you travel, camp or tailgate, YouTubeTV is easy to access with a firestick and you keep your local channels while on the road and can even use your phone as a hotspot to connect the stick/TV. Works great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12