Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2001 Ranger 195vs setup

Currently at the lake and almost done with new power head break in. Mercury 200 efi #OT385030. Getting 15psi of water pressure via the gauge. Has a 6inch manual Slidemaster If I keep trimming up water pressure goes down and rooster tail gets above cowling. And it doesn’t want to get above 5k rpm. Running a 3 blade tempest 25p that marks prop shop took to factory specs. How to get closer to the 5,800k rpm?

2. Member
    Rooster tail above the cowl suggests the engine is too high,you don’t say what your P to P is,so drop down 1/2” and try that. You may need to go to a 23” prop too.

3. Member
    I lowered the plate more and was happy with water pressure. Was 15psi at wot but speed was on 52-55 at 5400 rpm. Also, very light load, empty live wells, single person.

4. Member
    How much bow lift are you getting? Is the bow lifting or running flat?

5. Member
    Its running flat

6. Member
    How long is the 195. Rated for a 200

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    How long is the 195. Rated for a 200
    I think it’s 19’5”.To the OP,try a stock Tempest 25 and see how it does. Also,measure your P to P and see what it is.

8. Member
    It’s 19’5 and rated for 200. I’ll measure prop to pad tomorrow.

9. Member
    My old 487 had a 200 efi not the opti. About the same size. Couldn’t turn a 25 went to a 24 trophy. Could only turn it 5300. 6 “ plate 3.5” ptp ran 62 or so on a good day. Never tried a tempest on it but I did on my 518. Nice prop

10. Member
    So based on the rpm and mph you posted you have 24% slip which is why the bow isn't lifting. I had that suspicion that's why I asked. There is a couple things you'll need to look at to try and figure this out. There is something aerating the water flow before the prop which causes it to lose bite. Loss of bite = loss of lift = more hull in the water (wetted surface) = more drag = less rpm = slower boat.

1. Condition of prop. Is it banged up or severely out of balance? Spin it by hand and see if it's spinning true or if it's oscillating.
    2. Nose Cone. Is the lower unit in decent condition? Any big scratches or gouges?
    3. Transducer placement. The transducer or anything else mounted on the transom anywhere close to the line of the prop?
    4. Hull. Any major gouges on the hull within 5 feet of the transom?

If the prop, nose cone and hull are in good shape I'm willing to bet the transducer placement is the issue. I went through this myself last year. Spent a good bit of money and time chasing slip. On a whim one day I unbolted the transducer and tied it up to the rigging hose and when for a rip. Bow lifted right up and gained 12-13mph.

11. Member
    Same thing here on my 518. Unbolted transducer tied up. Jumped through hoops trying to figure it out Mine was loosing water pressure as soon as I started to trim

12. Member
    1. The prop is in great shape, no dings or anything
    2. Nose cone is fine
    3. The transducer is mounted on the bottom of the setback
    4. No major gouges on the hull

I'll have PTP this afternoon.

13. Member
    Just measured PTP and it is 3 3/4.

14. Member

15. Member
    Remove the transducer and go for a rip. Good feeling you'll be surprised.

16. Member
    Ok, I’ll see what that does. Hope I get it back on the water soon, weathers turned to crap.

Raise it to 3 1/2” and retest. Usually 3 to 3 1/2” is the sweet spot with that prop. Also since u were breaking in a new powerhead, were u running double oil? If so swap plugs and you may gain some rpm’s back.

if your water PSI is good at 3 1/2, go up in 1/4” increments until you either lose speed or water pressure.
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

18. Member
    Dealer said to run double oil for the first tank, on the second tank now and not running double oil anymore. I am on my last 2 hrs of break in. I had the PTP at 3 1/2 but was only getting around 10psi of water. So, i lowered the prop till I was getting 15 psi of water. When the PTP was at 3 1/2 was still only running 50-52 mph (gps). Also, found out that I needed to replace the fuel line from tank to bulb and then found the bulb had a very small leak. So I replaced them this weekend. Also, the dealer told me they have seen that if the transducer is mounted in-line with the motor on the setback it will cause the motor to have low water pressure. So, need to look at the placement of that, like mentioned above.

19. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    that ducer placement not helping anything.. dont think its all your issue but def not helping usually when those are mounted on the ranger flat part of the setback they are mounted flat on the flat side of the setback ( not hanging down on a bracket) would look at doing that or get a jackplate bracket that mounts it to the side of the jackplate. if looking to get 2d on pad then install a shoot thru for that.

20. Member
    I'm going to remove the transducer and fab up a mount for the jackplate and raise the motor back to 3 1/2 and see how it does. Also, going to replace the spark plugs before the next outing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast