Thread: Kipawa prop

Kipawa prop

Bought one 3-4 years ago last boat didn’t use. Anyway in bfl broke blade off prop retrieving co crankbait. ‘Twas disasterous first for me. Anyway found 3 blade when I got home. Took it out yesterday- very impressed - noticably faster and quieter at least for me than ultrex 2 blade. Just fyi -

2. Member
    Maybe if they make one for the Ghost............

3. Member
    Love my kipawa prop on my ulterra. Prefer it much more than the standard prop.

4. Member
    Ordered one for my Xi5 though grass is no longer an issue on Toledo Bend....

5. Member
    I have a original 36 V Terrova salvage from sunk boat. It never was as good as newer ones as far has holding power goes. That darn prop fixed that. I talked with the inventor guy for a hour before I bought it to assure it was a good product. Nice fisherman for sure.

6. Member
    Loved the Kipawa prop on my old Maxxum 74, absolutely hated it on my Fortrex 80. I'd give it a try again if they make one for the Ghost.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DQM View Post
    Love my kipawa prop on my ulterra. Prefer it much more than the standard prop.
    Same here on my Ulterra 80

The T&H Eliminator prop nut/nosecone will not work on these. What do y'all think?
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC
    2011 Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS
    Ultrex 36v 112# - 2 10" Helix - 1 10" Garmin for Livescope Plus

Got one for my older MK 65 pound 24 volt, miracle! Now motor is so much more powerful, over used word yes but defines " gamechanger".

10. Member
    Here is some information that I copied from a test I did a number of years ago. I will let you digest the information and decide for yourself if a change of prop is a good option for you.

Kipawa propeller test results.

Test parameters are as follows; each test was conducted using a two-pass process to detect any potential current or wind factors. The test was run along a 250-300 yard stretch of protected shoreline. During each test both the GPS speed and the current amperage draw were allowed to stabilize before the readings were recorded.

To make sure I was not influenced by any numbers, I only recorded the amperage draw readings. I had my wife record the GPS speed readings and make sure that the WAAS stayed locked in. Neither of us had a chance to see the set of numbers until they were recorded. Once each pass was made I recorded the numbers for later analysis.

I used an inductive amp probe on my Blue Point DVOM. The results are accurate to 1/10 of an amp. The GPS speeds were taken from my Lowrance X104c using the LCG-12W antenna. WAAS was locked in during the testing and the position error averaged 17-22 feet during the entire test period. GPS speeds are recorded as “Speed over ground”.

Each test pass was made with a follow-up return pass in the opposite direction. I made three separate tests for each prop. The 90 degree turn tests were made with the power level set to #6. Once I was done I made one last test pass to confirm some initial findings that I had. I will explain more about this later.

• Test one used the stock like new Minnkota 2-blade propeller. I made two speed setting passes with this prop along with a 90 degree turn test. I only recorded amp draw during the turning test.
    • Test two used the Kipawa propeller. I made two different speed setting passes with this prop along with a 90 degree turn test. . I only recorded amp draw during the turning test.
    • The last test was conducted by setting the amperage draw by adjusting the speed control to achieve a predetermined amount of current. The speed was then recorded. (I found this predetermined amount of current by reviewing one of my first tests)

Pass #1 and pass #4 were run with the speed control set to maximum. Pass #2 and pass #3 were run with the speed control set to six in my foot control. Between pass #2 and pass #3 the Minnkota propeller was changed to the Kipawa propeller. This was done by turning the power switch off. The speed control was not changed.

• Test one: Power -10,
      • GPS speed – 2.80 mph
      • Amps draw – 38.05
      • 13.589 amps/mph of gps

• Test two: Power – 6,
      • GPS speed – 2.00 mph
      • Amps draw – 13.3625
      • 6.681 amps/ mph of gps

( Prop change to the Kipawa )

• Test three: Power – 6,

• GPS speed – 2.30 mph
      • Amps draw – 18.475
      • 8.032 amps/mph of gps

• Test four: Power -10,
      • GPS speed – 3.025 mph
      • Amps draw – 49.3
      • 16.297 amps/ mph of gps

The 90 degree turn test with the Minnkota prop had a amp draw of 13.8 to 14.0 amps. The 90 degree turn test with the Kipawa propeller had an amp draw of 18.75 amps.

One of the reasons I ran the 90 degree turn test is that it allowed the trolling motor to have a more constant load remain on it at all times. The straight line tests showed that once the boat was placed into motion that the amperage dropped until the load became constant based upon the hull speed achieved for each setting during the various test passes.

The final test was made using the Kipawa propeller. I adjusted the speed controller on the trolling motor until the amperage being used (38.0 amps) matched the amperage draw used when the Minnkota prop was being used at the maximum setting. (speed setting of 10) I then recorded GPS speed. It was 2.75 mph

This tells me that on my hull it takes 38 amps at 24 volts to move my boat at 2.75 to 2.80 mph. I found that the Kipawa propeller was no more efficient that my original Minnkota.

The Kipawa achieved greater overall speed both at WOT and at lesser speed settings. However this greater speed came at the expense of using more amperage. The greater amount of amperage usage is somewhat deceiving because this reading is taken at a greater hull speed. This greater hull speed inherently takes more amperage to achieve. This is the main reason I conducted the final test 90 degree test.

One more thing that I should mention that the above testing was done on the original Weedless Wedge prop, not on the newer Weedless Wedge - 2.
    Last edited by Outsider; 04-01-2022 at 11:29 AM.

11. Member
    ^^That is some very interesting and useful information.^^
    Has anyone noticed if the Kipawa operates with less vibration? My 2 blade Minn Kota prop on my Fortrex vibrates pretty bad on anything above 80.

Interesting figures, and they bring to mind an article I read some years back about changing a stock prop for the Kipawa. I’ll try to find it, but I clearly recall the article bore out the comments made in this thread. The Kipawa prop, in most instances, is slightly faster, quieter, and produces less vibration. But, those attributes noticeably increase amp draw, as noted in the stats in post #10. An increase of over 10 amps at speed 10, over 5 amps increase at speed 6. Do those increases equate to noticeably shorter battery life over the course of a day on the water? And does the increased amp draw have any adverse effects on your TM over time? IDK.
    I have a Kipawa from my old Tour 82 that I really liked when in use. But, I also had a couple of MG Machete III glass props that performed just as well in every aspect as the Kipawa on the same motor. So, the Kipawa became a spare I keep in the boat. I’ve yet to try it on the new MG Tour Pro, but I expect similar results.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1GThompson View Post
    ^^That is some very interesting and useful information.^^
    Has anyone noticed if the Kipawa operates with less vibration? My 2 blade Minn Kota prop on my Fortrex vibrates pretty bad on anything above 80.
    Try removing and reinstalling your prop at 180 degrees in the opposite direction. Sometimes this can make a huge difference in a vibration. It has to do with stacked tolerances. I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Outsider; 04-01-2022 at 11:30 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Outsider View Post
    Try removing and reinstalling your prop at 180 degrees in the opposite direction. Sometimes this can make a huge difference in a vibration. It has to do with stacked tolerances. I hope that helps.
    I will try that. Thanks

15. Member
    About ten years ago I tried a similar test with a dc amprobe as the test above.
    I found the Kipawa prop was not quicker than my stock Motorguide Tour prop as advertised. But the current was increased.
    Later I was curious and asked Motorguide about the Kipawa prop and they didn't recommend it due to the added current (heat) which could possibly reduce the life of the motor.
    I soon returned the Kipawa.