Tent Camping in the Ocala area...recommendations?

Need some solid advice....I am looking for a tent camping area (preferably w/ electric) in the Ocala area - hopefully on a decent lake or one close-by. Bass or panfish since I will have company. I have lived in Central Florida since 74 and have always wanted to camp in that area - especially before it gets too hot.....Thanks in advance -Dave

2. Member
    I used tent camp at Rodman Campground every winter. Good bathrooms/showers and washing machines. No electric at the tent sites unless they’ve updated, and I’m not sure if they allow tent campers in the RV portion. I used to bring an extension cord and charge my boat from the outlet near the washing machine at night. You have Palatka 30 minutes up the road if you need it. Rodman Reservoir is solid for bass and crappie too but there’s lots of stumps and floaters. I don’t have much experience with the forest lakes or Lake George but they’re all close by.

3. Member
    There are some nice little ponds in the Ocala National Forest, camping as well.
    Just a thought, since they are less beaten. Quiet & untouched, the real Florida.

4. Member
    Check the state parks in Ocala, have camped at a couple that had tent camping with electric. Juniper and Alexander springs, if I remember had electric.
    I don't always post or reply but when I do, I...?

5. Member
    Lake Dorr In/Near Altoona.

Paramore's Fish Camp use to have tent sites and right on the St. Johns just below Lake George.

7. Member
    Paramores looks interesting but their tent sites are the same as RV sites ....$50+ a night. Lake Dorr sounds good as well but they dont take reservations. Anyone here stayed/fished Lake Dorr? Thanks! -Dave

XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

https://silversprings.com/camping/
    Dont think you can fish in the springs but could boat out.
    XPRESS H 18 SS, YAMAHA 115

10. Member
    The KOA at The St Johns Marina and Campground located at the Whitehair Bridge/Ed Stone Park on RT 44 west of Deland has Tent Camping Area.

There is a Ships Store, Restaurant/Bar and good Docks.

Fairly new within the last 3-4 years and the New Owners really went to work fixing it up since they bought it. Everything looks new from what I can see.

Located On The St Johns River. South to Lake Beresford, North to Lakes Woodruff/Dexter/George.

Quote Originally Posted by Flabasspond View Post
    Paramores looks interesting but their tent sites are the same as RV sites ....$50+ a night. Lake Dorr sounds good as well but they dont take reservations. Anyone here stayed/fished Lake Dorr? Thanks! -Dave
    while they may be the same as the RV sites, they have electric and a nice bath house with hot showers.

a large pool and right in the river. We used to stay there with an RV for years and it was a good place. Haven’t been in a while.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

12. Banned
    Lake Deaton is just West of Harris

https://campnative.com/campgrounds/u...rce=state_list

excellent fishing (You might be the only ones there..)

It was Earthworm77 (rip Craiger) and I's 'secret spot'

You might also look up Craigs posts as He would go up to the Ocala Forest often.

*Extra Credit: If You do go camping and wake up ...

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Lake Deaton is just West of Harris

https://campnative.com/campgrounds/u...rce=state_list

excellent fishing (You might be the only ones there..)

It was Earthworm77 (rip Craiger) and I's 'secret spot'

You might also look up Craigs posts as He would go up to the Ocala Forest often.

*Extra Credit: If You do go camping and wake up ...
    Unfortunately Lake Deaton no longer has tent camping - according to the man I spoke with it is a 2 year old Sumter County regulation. It definitely looked interesting!