Replacement Bow Panel

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a replacement bow panel for a 97 R80? Installing new electronics and would like to put a larger hole for running wires and cables, but worry about cracking the original. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. Member
    Sorry to jump in on your request, but hey, I'm also looking for a front bow panel. Mine is for a 1986 Ranger 373V.

I think Precision Sonar may be able to make those.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

4. Member
    I made my own bow panel on my 2000 518vx. Ordered some HDPE from King Starboard, made a cardboard template, traced it on HDPE, used a heat gun for on spot that had a small curve, and now I have a great looking bow panel.

This was the original bow panel.

IMG_2364.JPG

The before pic was my first mod using sheet metal sprayed with flex seal. the after pic is HDPE.

IMG_7884.JPG
    2000 Ranger 518vx - 2019 Mercury Pro xs 200

Where did you purchase the HDPE and how thick is it? Thanks
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    Cool!!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by high 2 View Post
    Where did you purchase the HDPE and how thick is it? Thanks
    https://www.tapplastics.com/product/..._starboard/526

1/2"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    I made my own bow panel on my 2000 518vx. Ordered some HDPE from King Starboard, made a cardboard template, traced it on HDPE, used a heat gun for on spot that had a small curve, and now I have a great looking bow panel.

This was the original bow panel.

IMG_2364.JPG

The before pic was my first mod using sheet metal sprayed with flex seal. the after pic is HDPE.

IMG_7884.JPG
    Well done!
    Lines look straight and edges look very nice. Can you share how you cut it and finished the edges?
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    Well done!
    Lines look straight and edges look very nice.
    I agree! Oftentimes projects like this end up looking like hack jobs. That's CLEAN right there!!! Good Job 'cmbtvet'!!!
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by M-D View Post
    Well done!
    Lines look straight and edges look very nice. Can you share how you cut it and finished the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger391v View Post
    I agree! Oftentimes projects like this end up looking like hack jobs. That's CLEAN right there!!! Good Job 'cmbtvet'!!!
    Thanks guys! There are actually some minor blemishes since I had never used a router before but I tried to fix them as best as I could. I skipped a step in my description. I took the cardboard template and traced on 1/2" MDF board and then test fit it on the bow. I made some adjustments and once I was happy with the fit I used the MDF as the template for the HDPE. No special tools are required for the HDPE, just use regular woodworking tools. I used a jigsaw to cut the HDPE very close to the template and then a router with a top bearing 1/2" flush trim bit to trim the HDPE to the template and then a 1/4" round over bit to round the edges. I used a Dremel tool with the cutting bit to cut out the holes for the rocker switches and I used a 1" hole bit and drill for the wire holes (rounded the edges with the router so there wouldn't be any sharp edges to cut into the wires). As for the screws, I used stainless steel screws that I scuffed the heads and then spray painted them matte black and counter sunk them.

I really wasn't prepared for the mess that the shavings from cutting and routing the HDPE would make, it's like sawdust from wood only with static electricity A broom and a shop vac are a must and if you have a compressor with a blowgun it helps getting all the shavings off your body and clothes.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbtvet View Post
    Thanks guys! There are actually some minor blemishes since I had never used a router before but I tried to fix them as best as I could. I skipped a step in my description. I took the cardboard template and traced on 1/2" MDF board and then test fit it on the bow. I made some adjustments and once I was happy with the fit I used the MDF as the template for the HDPE. No special tools are required for the HDPE, just use regular woodworking tools. I used a jigsaw to cut the HDPE very close to the template and then a router with a top bearing 1/2" flush trim bit to trim the HDPE to the template and then a 1/4" round over bit to round the edges. I used a Dremel tool with the cutting bit to cut out the holes for the rocker switches and I used a 1" hole bit and drill for the wire holes (rounded the edges with the router so there wouldn't be any sharp edges to cut into the wires). As for the screws, I used stainless steel screws that I scuffed the heads and then spray painted them matte black and counter sunk them.

I really wasn't prepared for the mess that the shavings from cutting and routing the HDPE would make, it's like sawdust from wood only with static electricity A broom and a shop vac are a must and if you have a compressor with a blowgun it helps getting all the shavings off your body and clothes.
    Appreciate the details!!
    2004 Ranger 519VX
    Yamaha VMAX 200HP OX66