Z185 Ranger HELP!!!

Need some help. 150 ProXS, 8in manual jackplate, 22P Tempest plus prop. Just got done with the first 2 hours of break in. Ran it at WOT for a min. several times. 47-48mph is the best it would do. RPM close to 6000 water pressure guage is pushing 30. Hole shot takes forever! Called Ranger about the placement of the jack plate and the tech said it was set where it it should be. Even at the top and in the 2nd hole from the top. I have not measured prop to pad yet. Can someone give me some numbers on this boat? Should I be running a different prop? Should I play with the jackplate? I know it's not a speed demon but I was looking for mid 50's at least. Any advise would help.

2. Member
    The tempest has vent holes and plugs to tune the hole-shot. When you floor it, generally you want the rpm to be 3500-4500 at break over. If it seems like its lugging the prop needs to be vented more. If vented enough it will start blowing out so just back it up one step. The only way you are going to be able to max out the performance is through trial and error. With exact information we can get you pointed in the right direction.

Need to know...

Breakover rpm
    WOT Rpm
    WOT mph
    Prop to pad measurement
    Hydraulic jack plate or manual

3. Member
    Jack plate may be set right for install but motor may not be adjusted right on the plate. Adjust prop to pad to 3.5 inches under and try it. Have you trimmed that motor all the way out since you started running it?

4. Member
    As crazy as it sounds my 118c 4 stroke 150 Merc had a terrible hole shot and then I saw a video by John Crews that said some 4 sts all the holes plugged in prop and to bring motor up high on take offand lower it as I get on plane. Made a big difference

5. Member
    Moved the jack plate up 1/2in. Now it is setting 4" prop to pad. Hole shot is better but needs more. Had it running 53mph in 2 foot swells. Have not touched the vent plugs and still going to try a 24p tempest+. Rpm was around 5500 and psi is still pushing 30psi.

6. Member
    Raise her up

7. Member
    Doubt going to a 24 would help if you're only hitting 5500 now. Keep raising until your water pressure starts to drop. I think 4" is too deep.

8. Member
    I am running a g2 but have found the boat likes the motor deep. My current ptp is 4.75 I am seeing 57 loaded with 2 people
    Z185 Ranger 150 G2

9. Member
    I bought a 2021 Z185,150 ProSX and a 22 Tempest plus prop, and have over 2.4 hours of break in, no jack plate, but did reach 53.9 mph @5950 rpms, @30 Lbs of water pressure. My prop to pad is 4", comes out of hole quick. Once I get over the break in period, I'm going to install a Bob's 6" Hyd jack plate.
    1987 Procraft 1780V, 150 Mercury XR2 Blackmax and now a 2021 Ranger Z185, 150 Pro XS.

DAV / U.S. Army 88-91.

10. Member
    I have a 19' Ranger with a Pro XS 150 4S and just finished the 2-hour break-in last weekend. It has been a fixer-up boat, so still do not have GPS on it. I am running a 22P Bravo FS with a 6" Bob's hydraulic jp and see 6100-6200 RPM's with just me, half tank of fuel and light load of gear. All PVS holes are plugged and boat has no problems coming out of the water. Very impressive motor for being a 150. With a second person, more fuel and more gear I suspect I will drop a few RPM's. Still very happy, and it was my first shot at picking a prop and first time out with this boat. Hope this helps!!