Viper/Cobra molds

Does anybody know what happen to the molds that were used to build the boats? I have heard that the old Legend boats got them. Just curious.

I know that at least one was sold to a company in Minnesota or Michigan and they built at least one. Another salt water company down south has built a salt water boat from another mold.

Tom

Tom's right they had a new one come out probably less than 6 years ago.. Out of Minnesota and it was running a tohatsu motor.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nbkirsch View Post
    Does anybody know what happen to the molds that were used to build the boats? I have heard that the old Legend boats got them. Just curious.
    I remember the guy in MN getting molds for 1, maybe 2 different hulls and I remember hearing someone having a 201 mold around the TX coast. Legend bought out Hawk which was another John Storie line, but after Cobra and the work he did for Fisher

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    I remember the guy in MN getting molds for 1, maybe 2 different hulls and I remember hearing someone having a 201 mold around the TX coast. Legend bought out Hawk which was another John Storie line, but after Cobra and the work he did for Fisher
    Hummm, I thought that Viper Cobra was the last line of bass boats John Storie was directly involved in before Charlie Luna drove him broke, and my 2002 201 DC is toward the last few made of that model, which may be the reason why it has 2003 Merc 225 EFI. I heard that he did help Legend Boats get things going for a bit of 6+months, but that was end of the line for his bass boat career involvement.

BTW, John Storie passed last yr 78 years old, my prayers are with his family for such a great bass boat engineer.
    Last edited by digthemup; 03-15-2022 at 03:47 PM.

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Hummm, I thought that Viper Cobra was the last line of bass boats John Storie was directly involved in before Charlie Luna drove him broke, and my 2002 201 DC is toward the last few made of that model, which may be the reason why it has 2003 Merc 225 EFI. I heard that he did help Legend Boats get things going for a bit of 6+months, but that was end of the line for his bass boat career involvement.

BTW, John Storie passed last yr 78 years old, my prayers are with his family for such a great bass boat engineer.
    No, he did some work with White River Marine (BPS) on their Fisher fiberglass hull. If you see one, it looks awful lot like a Viper. In fact there was a lawsuit I think between Viper and Fisher. He moved to OKC and started Hawk, but his management skills not being the greatest, didn't take long before it was in trouble. Randy Qualls came along and bought him out and moved it to Mtn Home and changed the name to Legend.

Yeah, I had seen where he had passed. He could work magic with the bottom of a bass boat.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Champ View Post
    No, he did some work with White River Marine (BPS) on their Fisher fiberglass hull. If you see one, it looks awful lot like a Viper. In fact there was a lawsuit I think between Viper and Fisher. He moved to OKC and started Hawk, but his management skills not being the greatest, didn't take long before it was in trouble. Randy Qualls came along and bought him out and moved it to Mtn Home and changed the name to Legend.

Yeah, I had seen where he had passed. He could work magic with the bottom of a bass boat.
    I was under the idea that Hawk Boats went under in 2000 (1997-2000), and the only White River Marine Group I am aware of is the one that is funded by some conglomerate buying out as many companies bringing them under the Bass Pro/Cabalas umbrella. I recall the similar scenario was played out yrs back by Bayliner Marine Group buying out companies and destroying them and their qualities amounting to nothing later.

Fisher, Cobra, Hawk and early model Legends all looked alike. I had a 2000 Cobra 201 and my friend bought a 2006 Legend LE 21. His '06 looked like the same boat with six years of upgrades. One of the points of contention between Charles Luna and John Storie was built to last verses built light for more speed, Luna wanted the former, Storie wanted the latter. My brother had a '95 Cobra 188 with a 225 Limited Edition Johson on it, boat would absolutely fly! He also cratered the hull running fast and normal types of waves. Charles Luna and Sotrie had parted ways by that time and Charles had another hull built for my brother, this one was so heavy it wouldn't run 60 (or so, memory fades a little since it was so long ago) Brother ended up with a 201 by the end of the ordeal due to so much trouble he had gone through. He asked my brother if there was a boat on the local showroom floor that he liked, and there was a beautiful 201. Manager of the store objected saying that is more boat than he has, Charles said he would make it right, always thought that was a pretty standup thing to do for the company. Charles was in Abilene so much over this situation that he ended up hiring the local Travis manager to go work in Mountain Home. All of this happened 25-26 years ago, so all the details are as I remember them, may not be pure gospel as related to Storie and Luna