Figuring out my new electronics

Picked up my new 2022 21PHX this week :-). I have 2 Helix 12s at the bow, a Helix 12 and a Solix 12 at the console along along with Mega Live.

I have always been a Lowrance guy and this is my first exposure to Humminbird - which I really like so far! The Solix has my Side Imaging.

What is confusing me - I only see ONE DI transducer on the Helix units and I only see that one when the bow Helix units are powered on. If the bow units are off, I do not see a DI transducer at the console...

My understanding is Phoenix does install a shoot-thru hull transducer - should I not see it if it is connected? The Helix units are all networked..

Backstory - I got lucky on this boat.. I ordered one back in October that was of course, delayed due to parts constraints. A young man ordered this boat (basically identical except for more electronics that I ordered) last August, it came in and he could not get approved for loan so the dealer had it sitting there - I grabbed it!!

Now I need to learn all the electronics - anyone know of an instructor I can hire?? and I am serious!!

First I need to figure these transducers..

Thanks!

Scott
    Last edited by smp005; 03-10-2022 at 05:08 PM.
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    Solix & Helix w/ Mega Live
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

What transducers are installed where?

Helix and SOLIX will only share waypoints and Ethernet accessories (MEGA LIVE)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    My guess would be your console Solix has the shoot-thru transducer and the SI transducer. The Helix at the console was set up for mapping only.
    One of the bow graphs is connected to the TM mounted transducer.
    The console helix will see the bow transducer when that unit is on and when the TM is deployed otherwise your console helix is only good for mapping and marking waypoints.

For your current situation you would use the solix for SI/DI/Sonar while driving around. Use your helix for mapping/navigation.

If you wanted to fix it so everything works together and can see all the transducers at each unit, you would switch out your solix for a helix. You would also need to install new transducers as I believe there is no adapter to go from a Solix transducer to a Helix unit.

Was a strange setup to order, most just stick with one model for the whole boat for compatibility reasons. IMO, I don't think the Solix imaging is that much better to go through that hassle.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    What transducers are installed where?

Helix and SOLIX will only share waypoints and Ethernet accessories (MEGA LIVE)
    So I have the transducer in the Ultrex, the Mega Live on the TM, the side imaging transducer on the solix and I ASSUME a shoot thru transducer…
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by dmackaravitz View Post
    My guess would be your console Solix has the shoot-thru transducer and the SI transducer. The Helix at the console was set up for mapping only.
    The console helix will see the bow transducer when that unit is on and when the TM is deployed otherwise your console helix is only good for mapping and marking waypoints.

For your current situation you would use the solix for SI/DI/Sonar while driving around. Use your helix for mapping/navigation.

If you wanted to fix it so everything works together and can see all the transducers at each unit, you would switch out your solix for a helix. You would also need to install new transducers as I believe there is no adapter to go from a Solix transducer to a Helix unit.

Was a strange setup to order, most just stick with one model for the whole boat for compatibility reasons. IMO, I don't think the Solix imaging is that much better to go through that hassle.

I think you have hit it…. that makes sense I guess. I agree - I would not have mixed them if I had ordered it but that is what was ordered on the boat. I like them both but I really like the Solix…

I bet when I check the Solix shows two transducers…
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Yes you use a SOLIX transducer with Helix units. The Minnkota MKR-MI-1 will do the conversion.
    That is how my bow installation is--MEGA 360 with SOLIX SI+ transducer using a 14 M360 2DDI Y cable and I use that adapter to connect to a Helix and remove the adapter to connect to a SOLIX.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Thanks guys! A bit of a learning curve for sure but I like the interfaces :-). Hope to dunk her for the first time this weekend since the ice is finally off !!

Cant wait to experience the Mega Live !

Any recommendations on youtube videos? I’m watching all the ones linked here on the site..
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

I like the setup :-)

IMG_3679.jpg
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes you use a SOLIX transducer with Helix units. The Minnkota MKR-MI-1 will do the conversion.
    That is how my bow installation is--MEGA 360 with SOLIX SI+ transducer using a 14 M360 2DDI Y cable and I use that adapter to connect to a Helix and remove the adapter to connect to a SOLIX.
    I found it hard to believe you couldn't convert the transducers. I was digging through HB website and couldn't find anything. Nice to know MK makes something for it.
    2002 Basscat Sabre Merc 150 XR6
    Humminbird Electronics
    Ionic Lithium Batteries

I found it hard to believe you couldn't convert the transducers. I was digging through HB website and couldn't find anything. Nice to know MK makes something for it.
    A Minnkota built-in MEGA DI or MEGA SI transducer has a 14-pin SOLIX transducer plug. That adapter is used to connect the built-in MEGA transducer to a Helix that has a 7 pin capacity transducer port.

There is another adapter, a MEGA 360 has a SOLIX 14-pin transducer plug. The MEGA 360 comes with a 14-pin to 7-pin adapter to connect to a Helix 7-pin receptacle.

The Minnkota adapter is 3' long and the Humminbird adapter is 10' long.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

So exactly what does MEGA mean ? Is it just their marketing or is it an acronym?
    Scott

2022 Phoenix 21 PHX
    MinnKota Ultrexx 36v 112
    Power Poles

Quote Originally Posted by smp005 View Post
    So exactly what does MEGA mean ? Is it just their marketing or is it an acronym?
    It doesn't mean super-duper, colossal, or top dog.

1,000,000 hertz= 1000 kilohertz (kHz)= 1 megahertz (MHz).

The units have three frequency ranges for Imaging = 455 kHz, 800 kHz, and 1200 kHz. 1200 kHz = 1.2 MHz
    Each of those are CHIRPed in those frequency ranges.

This is a screen shot from a Helix MEGA SI unit and shows the frequency used for Side Imaging is a CHIRP range of 1.050-1.175 MHz or MEGA HERTZ. OR 1050 -1175 kHz or KiloHertz

Any product that Humminbird has that is MEGA means it uses the MEGA HERTZ sonar frequency range or 1000 KILO HERTZ +
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

This is the CHIRP frequency range for the MEGA 360:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

MEGA LIVE uses 1.050 MHz