Humminbird Quality Issue

How many of you have had to send your Humminbird units back to factory for repair? My only Helix 10 has had main board repaired twice!

I highly suspect their product quality now!

Anyone else want to share your experience? You can PM me if you don’t want to say it in public. I do see some posts on Facebook groups as well.

THIS IS NOT TROLL, before anyone says so!

2. Member
    Are you using that 20v lithium tool battery on this helix? I have suspicions about that myself. What did the actual voltage read out on that battery? Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    I had my helix 12 sending it back twice after the second time I talked to a service tec and he had asked me what size wire do you have going to this unit and I of course said stock from the factory well looking more into it the feed wire was 12gauge or 14 ?? so unit wasn't getting the right voltage and killing it slowly , so I change it to 10 and no problems since . +

4. Member
    Going back to when I got my first 798 I've had to send every HB product back to them at least once. Knock on wood I won't have to send back my Mega Live. I've also had to have two previous Minn Kota Ultrex fixed multiple times and sent back a Minn Kota battery charger back twice as well.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

5. Member
    Nope, I only used 12V battery for helix.

Normally it reads 12.2 to 12.5v. My others brands of units share the same battery and circuit, except LiveScope.

Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Are you using that 20v lithium tool battery on this helix? I have suspicions about that myself. What did the actual voltage read out on that battery? Bob
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 03-10-2022 at 07:51 AM.

6. Member
    Oh, sorry to hear that!

Seems only HB offers such a repair service on site, now I see it as a CON. It gives me a feeling like they know their products need lots of repairs, so they open a department for the service and make some more business.

Instead, other fishfinder brands don’t offer such a department on site, so they only swap units when warranty claims. Repairs could happen at their contracted factories.

Except the unreliable quality issue, I DO LIKE my Helix. Its SI is extraordinary!

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Going back to when I got my first 798 I've had to send every HB product back to them at least once. Knock on wood I won't have to send back my Mega Live. I've also had to have two previous Minn Kota Ultrex fixed multiple times and sent back a Minn Kota battery charger back twice as well.
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 03-10-2022 at 07:53 AM.

7. Member
    I've been running multiple HB units on my boat for the last 10 years or so. Fish 2 or 3 days per week most of the year. The only issue that I've ever had turning this entire period is a side image transducer lost one side after 5 or 6 years. No complaints from me. Currently running 2 Gen 2 units and a Gen 4 unit. All Helix.

Considering how many I've owned vs how many I've had trouble with(1)....... I'd have to say there quality is pretty darn good.

Quote Originally Posted by BassTracker175 View Post
    Oh, sorry to hear that!

Seems only HB offers such a repair service on site, now I see it as a CON. It gives me a feeling like they know their products need lots of repairs, so they open a department for the service and make some more business.

Instead, other fishfinder brands don’t offer such a department on site, so they only swap units when warranty claims. Repairs could happen at their contracted factories.

Except the unreliable quality issue, I DO LIKE my Helix. Its SI is extraordinary!
    Looks like conspiracy theroy BS. Humminbird units are made and serviced at the same place==factory in Eufaula Alabama
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Thanks Wayne! I didn’t know their factory was in Alabama. It makes sense to have a repair facility there along with the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Looks like conspiracy theroy BS. Humminbird units are made and serviced at the same place==factory in Eufaula Alabama

11. Member
    Knock on wood changed from Lowrance when Hbrid first came out with SI been Humminbird since, have never had to send one unit in for repair in all these years.

I have had exactly one Helix 7 that I had to return. It got waterlogged. It was replaced for free within a week. Other than that, they have been perfect. I cannot say the same about Lowrance. I had an HDS Gen3 that would not work straight out of the box. Another lasted only 3 months.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

13. Member
    Fortunately I have never had to send back any Humminbird product in 20+ years of running them. I have one 1199 unit that has gone from two bass boats to an offshore boat, and then back to a bass boat. I just can't get rid of it because it has been so good to me.

14. Member
    I've owned probably 15 different Humminbird units and a few accessories. Just had to send in a Helix 12 G3N and it was replaced with a G4N and back to me within a week. No other issues

15. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    I've had an 997 and 1197 that a friend is still using today, an 1198 that I am still using today, an ONIX 10 (don't really have a use for it right now), a Helix 9 G3N MDI+ (in use today), a Helix 12 G3N MSI+ (in use today) and a Helix 15 G4N MSI+. I also have an original 360 that is still in use today.

The hardware issues i've had are the GPS puck that came with the 1197 went bad, the SI transducer with the 1198 went bad and the ONIX 10 will no longer recognize a transducer but it's still good for 360 and maps.

P.S. - If anyone is interested in the ONIX 10 as a parts unit or as a unit for 360 and maps, it along with 2 ONIX transducers are for sale.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

16. Member
    Thanks all!

I’ll take this unit as a bad luck, and will get a newer HB unit soon.

Hope it won’t fail me again!