Thread: jackplate issue

jackplate issue

hope this is in the right section , I apologize if it isnt.... I have a 8" Detweiler Hydraulic jackplate with the Exact dial adjuster on a 2004 Triton ,,, It has worked flawless until today , I went to lower/raise it and it does nothing ... Its been in th garage all winter , in which that time I have only pulled some new power wires from the rear to the front for a new graph ... nothing else ................... I have so far ....

replaced both relays (up/down)

disconnected the Green and blue wires from the plate , and hooked to 12 volts both ways (jackplate goes up and down fine )

there is no power fuse to check , the other wires from the harness go straight to the battery positive and ground terminals ..

it seems to me like the jackplate would work fine then if maybe the correct "trigger" voltage would be reaching the relays ???
    I dont know exactly how the relays function to test them , but i do have power on the red wire and ground on the center black wire to each relay ...

1 additional thing I noticed was there is a black wire coming from the jackplate that has a sensor on it that is detached from wherever it mounts . although i think it was already loose/detached last season ,could that be the issue ??

is there a possiblity I could have broken a wire inside the boat wiring trough when pulling my new wires ?? that could affect this ?? maybe if I knew how the relays were wired I could rule that out

any help will be greatly appreciated ..
    Last edited by blockzilla; 03-09-2022 at 08:24 PM.

2. Banned
    I will take a stabe at it..... where you connect your 12v to go directly to JP its a disconnect correct? Hook a bulb to this two wires and check for operation of the bulb if nothing then try using straight ground to one wire then have the other connected and work switch then vice versie.....

3. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    what bulb are you talking about???

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    what bulb are you talking about???
    Just a load source to check power coming from relays..... ofcourse I’m assuming it’s like a CMC

5. Member
    not sure I follow you on the bulb deal , but I can get no power to either the main blue or green wires at all on my voltmeter no matter how I turn the EZ dial (switch) ..
    Last edited by blockzilla; 03-09-2022 at 07:38 PM.

6. Banned
    the bulb is just something I use to test a simple 12v circuit..... the control switch just energizes the relays to reverse the polarity..... I bet when you pulled those wires thru for the electronics you inadvertently unplugged something that goes to the switch

7. Member
    as far as I can tell , the only wire coming from the switch to the jackplate is 1 jacketed shielded gray wire and it seems intact , Ill do some more searching tomorrow . ..

8. Member
    got it figured out today after tearing half the boat apart.. the (hidden)module for the Ex-act dial setup had bad connections, its working for now ... thanks for the suggestions... looking for a replacement if anyone has one ..

Part #Detwiler DK3007

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
    got it figured out today after tearing half the boat apart.. the (hidden)module for the Ex-act dial setup had bad connections, its working for now ... thanks for the suggestions... looking for a replacement if anyone has one ..

Part #Detwiler DK3007
    Were the connections corroded or did they have signs of
    being hot ?

10. Member
    Good caught. A tad of di-grease on plug.

11. Member
    they werent corroded , or hot ... when I first pulled it out it had a red led lit up on it , but still wouldnt work,,, then it went to green and started working .. I dont know anything about this thing , but is working for now ... hope to find a new one but my search hasnt found one yet ..

12. Member
    Most folks just eliminate the exact dial when it goes bad and run a blinker type switch at the wheel.

13. Member
    yes I thought about that if it goes out , but the blinker deal wont tell me where its at in height ,unless I hook it up to some kind of a gauge like the trim gauge ...(not very accurate ) .. the dial has numbers on it , so I just set it to (example #5 is 2 3/4" P to P )

I have the P to P measurement written down for every number on the dial ...makes it nice ...

14. Member
    I added the Bobs LED gage to mine. Even is at 3 on the LED. Plate travel is 3 below to 3 above. Drive by what the boat is wanting on a given day, but is nice to know plate height at a glance.

15. Member
    if this setup gives up the ghost , I,ll look into that .. thanks

Doubt you're going to find one of those modules. And if you do, it's just as old as yours. Years and years ago I took some sandpaper to my module lugs and tightened the terminals so they fit really snug. Haven't had any connection issues since. Just some other random issues with the dial getting flakey I hate to even mess with it on the water anymore.
    '05 Stratos 200 ProXL, '05 Evinrude 225HO