Prop suggestions for stinger 175 with merc 60hp

I currently have the stock mercury aluminum prop on it. 14 pitch. It had a 13 pitch on it from dealer however wot was 6200. With the 14 pitch it went to 5800 on vessel view. Now, I am fixing to put two power poles on it. My question is this. Would a stainless steel prop be better with any porposing or getting on plane from the added weight? Also , I was told that with a ss prop to drop one pitch. Is this true? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really need a little more information beyond "merc 60hp". Serial Number would be best.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Sorry for delay. Serial number for engine is 1c588346. Hope this helps. Thanks.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Might try a 14P Spitfire, or a 13P Trophy-Sport.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ok. Update. With power poles, with 2 onboard and equipment, rpm is 5400 and 29mph. If i chg to a stainless steel prop, should i go back to 13 pitch to get back to 6000 rpm? Also going to replace the 2 lead batteries in rear and put in two 50ah kithium batteries for weight reduction and also add elsectric trim tabs on rear. What about a Solas prop?
    Brand: SOLAS
    SOLAS 9331-111-13 Rubex NS3 Stainless Steel 3-Blade Propeller - RH, 11-1/8" Diameter x 13" Pitch

6. Member
    Following this.

I have a 2022 Stinger 175C with a Merc 60 as well. I had a very similar experience as the OP. Came with a 13p Spitfire and would run 6200rpm at 32-33mph. I also thought the motor was mounted too low.

I raised the motor to the bottom hole and currently have a 14p Spitfire on it and run 34-35 right at 6000 rpm.

I also tried a Turning Point Hustler 13p and 14p. With the 14p, it ran 37mph at 5750rpm with just me in the boat and empty livewells, but with any more load it was tough to get the rpms up over 5500. The 13p Hustler runs 36mph at 6000rpm, but is a little more sluggish to get on plane compared to the Spitfire. I keep the 13p Hustler in the boat as a backup prop.

I would be interested to see the performance with a Trophy Sport. I'm just not sure it could be that much better to justify the cost of a SS prop for this kind of boat.

It would be cool if Mercury made a version of the Spitfire X7 for the smaller motors.
    Last edited by Paleus; 06-14-2022 at 02:19 PM.
    2022 Lowe Stinger 175C - Mercury 60hp Fourstroke
    Garmin Force
    Garmin 102sv at console
    Garmin 102sv and 73sv on stowaway mount on the bow
    Livescope

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    We normally keep to a strict "One engine per post/thread policy" in the forums. However, since virtually every word of the above post is directly pertinent to the Original Poster's setup, we will let it slide this time.

Trophy Sport is an excellent choice if you want to go to Stainless. For aluminum: The spitfire is about as good as it gets.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    We normally keep to a strict "One engine per post/thread policy" in the forums. However, since virtually every word of the above post is directly pertinent to the Original Poster's setup, we will let it slide this time.

Trophy Sport is an excellent choice if you want to go to Stainless. For aluminum: The spitfire is about as good as it gets.
    Definitely not trying to hijack the thread with my set up. Just letting the OP know my experiences with the same boat/motor combo.

For me and the OP: What would the Trophy Sport provide over the Spitfire, other than durability? Would there be a significant performance gain?
    2022 Lowe Stinger 175C - Mercury 60hp Fourstroke
    Garmin Force
    Garmin 102sv at console
    Garmin 102sv and 73sv on stowaway mount on the bow
    Livescope

9. Member
    I ordered the 13 pitch trophy sport. Will update after I put it on and try it.

10. Member
    Well, found out the trophy sport wont be available until march of next yr. Gonna order the spitfire instead

11. Member
    I currently have Mercury Spitfire 4-Blade Aluminum Propeller 10.3 x 13 Pitch 40-60HP on my boat. Works well but son hit a stump and going to replace the aluminum with a Trophy Sport. Wot with the 4 blade aluminum is 5950 rpm. Thats great. Switching to the 4 blade ss, do I change the diameter or pitch? Thanks so much for any help.Should I use this? Mercury Trophy Sport 10-5/8x 12P Propeller 4 blade?

12. Member
    Bump

13. Member
    The spitfire aluminum is designed to run the same rpm's as the aluminum 3 blade.
    no need to change pitch between merc 3 or 4 in aluminum.
    ss will be harder to turn and I'd probably drop an inch.