Carbon units glitchy in the rain !

My forward mounted Carbon units become glitchy in the rain ! they change screens , flicker and are basically unresponsive to touch ! as soon as the rain quits and I dry the screens off they are fine ! never had this problem with my old Gen 2’s ?….

2. Member
    Mine did that then I lost the touch screen completely. Been navigating mine with the buttons which is a PIA. Try recalibrating your touch screen. Hold the waypoint button in then power the unit on. Continue holding the waypoint button till it asks you to touch certain parts of the screen.

I believe it has something to do with the touch screen sensor type where the water on the screen is actually registered by the sensor.
    My bow carbon would have this issues because the angle at which the unit setup, water would pool in the corners and as it sloshed around it would place a cursor on the screen.
    Lowrance addressed that issue with the LIVEs by extending the glass part of the screen out to the edge and got rid of the raise edges so that the water no longer pools on the screen.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

4. Member
    And also check to make sure your unit is well-grounded.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCPT View Post
    I believe it has something to do with the touch screen sensor type where the water on the screen is actually registered by the sensor.
    My bow carbon would have this issues because the angle at which the unit setup, water would pool in the corners and as it sloshed around it would place a cursor on the screen.
    Lowrance addressed that issue with the LIVEs by extending the glass part of the screen out to the edge and got rid of the raise edges so that the water no longer pools on the screen.
    They made the problem worse as far as the unit being water tight. The water now will seep into your card reader. Trust me I know. Lowrance said water couldn't get in till I showed them the video of me pouring water out of my unit. Fished in a steady rain next day my unit was toast. If you open the card reader on most LIVE units that are older it will have an orange rust color where water is getting in or water itself. Gonna see more and more as they age.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    And also check to make sure your unit is well-grounded.
    This.
    Carbon should work well even with a wet screen. But if the ground is weak, the screen will ground itself to the water on the screen instead of the battery.

I've noticed the carbon has a little edge around that screen that can hold a little water during a rain. I feel like that water holding in the corners causes some serious touch screen issues during a rain. I normally just lock the screen during a rain. the LIVE units are flush and do a lot better in the rain I think.
    Triton 18xs w/150 Pro XS
    Ultrex 80lb.
    LIVE 12's
    LIVE 9
    POINT 1
    ACTIVE TARGET
    IONIC 125Ah

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greenheadz View Post
    I've noticed the carbon has a little edge around that screen that can hold a little water during a rain. I feel like that water holding in the corners causes some serious touch screen issues during a rain. I normally just lock the screen during a rain. the LIVE units are flush and do a lot better in the rain I think.
    I just tilt mine down a bit more so the water can run off instead of pooling at the bottom of the screen and have no issues.