HDS Live Voltage reading WAY high

I picked up a new HDS 12 Live last week to replace my HDS 9 Live at the bow.

Since the wiring is the same, all that I did was change the mount.

Turned the unit on, did the software update, and went fishing.

While fishing, I added the battery voltage overlay to screen that I was using. It read 25.8 volts!

I immediately shut all of my electronics off and headed home.

After getting home, I pulled the power connector off of the unit, and measured it with a quality meter, 12.6 volts, also checked the dash unit to be sure.

Back on the water today, and again it's reading 25+ volts. This time I had my meter with me and measured it on the spot, 12+ volts.

I don't see any other posts on this. Is anyone else seeing it?

Thx

2. Member
    Do you have a Ghost trolling motor? If so you probably have your battery voltage overlay data reading your trolling motor batteries (you can do this with the Ghost and HDS units). The voltage reading you want to use for your starting battery is not under "battery" in your data list...it is under "other" (and you have to have your ignition in the on position for "other" to show up on the list of data sources.
    ciao,
    Marc

3. Member
    Do you have a ghost trolling motor? It's showing your trolling batteries. Its new with the update. There are 2 battery options in data overlay, now. One says supply voltage but I can't remember what the other says.

4. Member
    Thanks everyone. Yep, I didn't know that the HDS would show the voltage on the display. It isn't labeled that way. It seemed like I was reading the voltage of two batteries but didn't understand how that could be possible.

Then, this afternoon I was fishing and I Kicked up the speed on the TM today and noticed that the voltage decreased and increased with the trolling motor on/off. Hmmm, I reached down and turn off the TM and the voltage display went blank.

It's a nice option, I just wish that labeled it better in the menu. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinfool145 View Post
    Thanks everyone. Yep, I didn't know that the HDS would show the voltage on the display. It isn't labeled that way. It seemed like I was reading the voltage of two batteries but didn't understand how that could be possible.

Then, this afternoon I was fishing and I Kicked up the speed on the TM today and noticed that the voltage decreased and increased with the trolling motor on/off. Hmmm, I reached down and turn off the TM and the voltage display went blank.

It's a nice option, I just wish that labeled it better in the menu. Thanks again.
    I experienced the same thing. Updated all my units and was playing with overlay data on various pages. 40.3 volts! I figured it was showing the Ghost batteries and found the overlay for supply voltage which showed 12.7 to the HDS unit. It should be labeled better!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassakwards View Post
    Do you have a ghost trolling motor? It's showing your trolling batteries. Its new with the update. There are 2 battery options in data overlay, now. One says supply voltage but I can't remember what the other says.
    It is up to each user to name each of their devices like the Ghost, or a bow HDS, console HDS, transducers,
    etc. I named my Ghost in my device list as "Ghost". Then it will show up under Battery as "Ghost." I think Lowrance did a pretty good job helping to make things simple. Getting people to read the owner's manual is the tough part...
    ciao,
    Marc

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    It is up to each user to name each of their devices like the Ghost, or a bow HDS, console HDS, transducers,
    etc. I named my Ghost in my device list as "Ghost". Then it will show up under Battery as "Ghost." I think Lowrance did a pretty good job helping to make things simple. Getting people to read the owner's manual is the tough part...
    Yeah I never changed the names in my system but I probably should.