Verado + PP Charge, 2x starter batteries Lithium vs AGM?

Currently running a Verado 400 with a 5 battery setup (3x lithium trolling and 2x AGM starter/electronics) with a PP Charge unit. I’m due for new starting batteries and considering switching out the AGM’s for something like the Ionic 125ah with heaters (fish in lots of below freezing weather). Looking for thoughts on the following setup options:

1.) simply replace them with two lithium 125ah in parallel

2.) hybrid setup AGM starter, Charge Mate Pro 90 (?) to Lithium 125ah electronics battery

3.) simple two AGM in parallel and punt this idea until later

I’ve read all I can find on the Mercury bulletins and the endless debates about warranty coverage. I didn’t want to turn this into a Mercury debate. I’m just looking for practical real world experience as I’d like to switch to lithium for the electronics and am really happy with my current clean setup with 2x group 31 in parallel. My boat is already wired up like a spaceship I’m not really interested in any more chargers or disconnects or switches. I have an awful lot of screens, transducers, and modules and it seems like going to the bigger lithiums is a no brainer.

The lithium makers say one thing. The engine makers say another thing. What say you?

2. Member
    I run the Verado Pro 250 I went with a single 36 volt lithium for my troller, Single 125 Lithium for graphs, and radio, Single AGM for the Verado, and house stuff. I have 1 charger that came with the Lithium batteries that charges both the 12volt and 36 volt. I use a single NOCO charger for the AGM. Saved me about 145lbs.

2 x 125 lithium in parallel gets my vote

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

4. Member
    In my experience I would find one 100-125amp starting lithium fairly equal to 2 AGM batteries.

The cold is the only place this may come into play. The heating matt should cover all of that though and allow your BMS to function for the first start of the day.. Which generally speaking is the only one that is a issue. A small jumper may be good to keep on board in case you need to wake a battery up that goes into protection mode.

The lithium batteries charge up much quicker then the AGM’s so you will get more out of the big motor every time you travel around the lake.
    You can never use the full capacity of a lead acid, So the usable AH in the lead acid vrs the lithium is usually about 2-1 in comparable battery case size. Which would be a huge gain in this configuration.

Bonus is you already have a power pole charge so you can watch and control your house battery on the water and if you start to get low move some from your trollers.
    2019 z18 175 ProXs 4 stroke, DC, 10 Ft Power Pole Blades, Relion lithium batteries, Ghost trolling motor, Lowrance Live's, SS structure, Airmar TM150, Vessel View Link, PowerPole Charge.

5. BBC SPONSOR
    All our customers are running a single 12v-120ah Impulse Lithium Starting Battery

Call me if you have any questions

205-965-8436

Quote Originally Posted by mnmatt View Post
    Currently running a Verado 400 with a 5 battery setup (3x lithium trolling and 2x AGM starter/electronics) with a PP Charge unit. I’m due for new starting batteries and considering switching out the AGM’s for something like the Ionic 125ah with heaters (fish in lots of below freezing weather). Looking for thoughts on the following setup options:

1.) simply replace them with two lithium 125ah in parallel

2.) hybrid setup AGM starter, Charge Mate Pro 90 (?) to Lithium 125ah electronics battery

3.) simple two AGM in parallel and punt this idea until later

I’ve read all I can find on the Mercury bulletins and the endless debates about warranty coverage. I didn’t want to turn this into a Mercury debate. I’m just looking for practical real world experience as I’d like to switch to lithium for the electronics and am really happy with my current clean setup with 2x group 31 in parallel. My boat is already wired up like a spaceship I’m not really interested in any more chargers or disconnects or switches. I have an awful lot of screens, transducers, and modules and it seems like going to the bigger lithiums is a no brainer.

The lithium makers say one thing. The engine makers say another thing. What say you?
    At the very least, switch the 5th to a 125 Ionic. I have a hybrid system on mine but am considering full lithium. This is because I troll a lot with the power steering on and need a lot of power.

7. Member
    Bloodman I’m in the exact same boat (almost. 622/400). Trolling the majority of the time on big, very dangerous water. Have you looked into something like a Victron DC to DC smart charger for the 5th battery (lithium)? After a lot of research this seems like maybe the perfect option for a hybrid system of a starting AGM and house lithium. At least until my warranty period is over and then I could just go to two starting lithiums in pure parallel.

Dual batteries (4th and 5th in my case) are non-negotiable for me but I appreciate the comments from everyone. My concern with the way hybrid systems all get set up (properly) is that Id really not effectively be running dual batteries on the main engine (and power steering) side anymore and doing the traditional isolated house battery setup then.

Bloodman I’m in the exact same boat (almost. 622/400). Trolling the majority of the time on big, very dangerous water. Have you looked into something like a Victron DC to DC smart charger for the 5th battery (lithium)? After a lot of research this seems like maybe the perfect option for a hybrid system of a starting AGM and house lithium. At least until my warranty period is over and then I could just go to two starting lithiums in pure parallel.

Dual batteries (4th and 5th in my case) are non-negotiable for me but I appreciate the comments from everyone. My concern with the way hybrid systems all get set up (properly) is that Id really not effectively be running dual batteries on the main engine (and power steering) side anymore and doing the traditional isolated house battery setup then.
    My 621/350 is the same battery setup you have. Pull the 5th and drop in the 125 Ionic. Run in parallel position. Charge in off position. Your motor is protected if the lithium shutdown for some reason because power flows from the alternator to the isolator where it is spit to 4th and 5th battery. The 4th AGM battery is always on the system so there would be no electrical spike because their is a pathway for it to go. I have posted many times about this. I have used this for all of last year and put many hours on trolling and running. Marc Marcantonio has posted his system also with the Sterling device and Stealth system.
    I set this up like this because I was afraid of possible damage to my Verado. I am at the point that I want to pull my last AGM for another 125. They are amazing and I have learned to trust them.
    Your choice.

9. Member
    Bloodman sent you a PM.

Bloodman sent you a PM.

11. Member
    I am looking at replacing my two bats with one Li 125 AH as well for my Verado.
    So much talk about Mercury warranty but I can't seem to find any info anywhere of anyone having an issue with a Li battery and a verado or mercury motor???
    Has anyone heard of any issues????
    cheers

12. Member
    Rare for the few reputable brands out there, considering all the major boat manufactures rigging them as a standard option now. It sure is a mess regardless of what Merc dealers, riggers, and reps want to admit. The official guidance is simple. There’s no gray area. I called Mercury so I heard it direct from them on my specific situation. It’s pretty simple and common sense for mechanical vs electrical components and if it’s potentially battery/power related or not. If there’s any doubt either way don’t expect to get any benefit of the doubt. The advice was/is if you’re worried about warranty, stick to the approved options.