Any Ford mechanics in the house??

Ok I'm looking for some guidance here. I picked up a 1998 Mustang GT, automatic, that won't start. I replaced the CCRM (relays for PCM, Fuel pump, AC, etc), fuel pump, cam sensor, crank sensor, had the PATS theft system turned off (sent out the computer), voltage is good to the coils, injectors are pulsing while trying to start but I get no spark at all. I know the computer controls the ignition for the coils but hoping I'm missing something as it ran for the previous owner just sat for a bit and when he went to start it, well it wouldn't.

Only thing I can think of is either the theft system is still keeping it from starting or the Computer is bad.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA
    2004 Ranger 521VX - Yamaha 250 SHO

Have you checked that lovely fuel shutoff switch in the trunk? There's a hidden cutoff switch in the right panel in the trunk. You may need to reset this to get the gas flowing up front.

Another thing to check...is if the car's key has the internal battery dead. I can't remember if this started in the 99 cars or it started a on earlier models like yours.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

I checked the inertia switch and it wasn't tripped and have 12v at the pump with fuel at the rails. I had the theft system turned off by sending the computer out so I wouldn't have to deal with this key issue so I'm not sure if they did disable it or just took my money! Lol
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

4. Member
    Engine ground strap maybe?
    2016 Phoenix 819 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    Kenny

5. Member
    I think if the engine cranks but no fire the PATS isn’t the issue. A 98 should have COP ignition, maybe the coil drivers in the PCM are bad. Have you replaced the PCM yet? Otherwise, is the PCM seeing crankshaft signal? Maybe wheel on crankshaft is missing or on backwards. I would think injectors wouldn’t fire without crankshaft signal but could be wrong.

6. Member
    Idle Air Control Valve?
    Does the engine turn over when attempting to start it?

Re-read and saw "no spark"
    2016 Ranger Z518 - 150 HP Mercury 4-Stroke

7. Member
    You might have a hidden Kill Switch somewhere. I put one in my last two tow vehicles for parking at remote ramps.

It doesn't have the COP ignition. It has the older two separate coils. I'm starting to think that it's the Coil driver part of the PCM that is bad but not totally positive yet but it sure does look like thats the issue.

As far as a hidden kill switch, you are the 3rd person that said that so I'm going to look again as it appears that installing one is more common than I thought.
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

9. Member
    Check the wires at the crank sensor

Quote Originally Posted by DURASPANK View Post
    Check the wires at the crank sensor

Will do.

Do any of you know if this model has separate EDIS8 (ignition) module or is it part of the PCM?
    Joe Galada - Tamaqua, PA

11. Member

Sorry, I post this video too much but this is where I'd start.

12. Member
    Does it have programmable keys? Does it have a ignition starter switch? All relays good?

13. Member
    have you checked timing? what motor?

Sounds crazy but check out your whole wiring harness. My Honda ran great on way home from work, parked at the house 30 minutes later it would just crank. When checking no fire. I chased it for a week then had it hauled to a shop. Shop called the next day and had it fixed. Rats or squirrels and chewed on my harness and it had finally broken the wires. 4 wire connectors it runs like new.
    xb-21 prosport 225 pro xs

15. Banned
    As I recall it has four separate ground drivers coming from pcm to coils