Thread: Drop shot rigs

Drop shot rigs

Any of you guys use a drop shot setup for gills? I used it some last year when catching shellcracker and it was a big improvement for size and quality of fish I caught.

2. Member
    I have not but I will consider it this year. Always looking for ways to improve putting a few in the boat.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

3. Member
    Has always been the only way I fish for bluegill and chinquapin.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

4. Member
    Primary way I fish for Gills anymore whether deep or shallow. Very effective and easy to use
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

5. Member
    Only swim jigs parallel to the bottom. What lures do you use with drop shot? Do you drag the set-up much?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOONMINNOW View Post
    Only swim jigs parallel to the bottom. What lures do you use with drop shot? Do you drag the set-up much?
    If I am searching or fishing shallow I cast and drag it similar to using a slip bobber, deeper water fishing vertically I just do the same or straight under the trolling motor transducer. I have had good luck with a mess of different plastics and minnow plastics but a lot of the time if fishing for gills I just use a small octopus hook and short piece of night crawler. Use it with minnows for crappie also.
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

I have been using it the last couple of years, that's all I do, but I only fish for gills and redears a couple of times a year.

8. Moderator
    Caught 5 big bluegills, a large shell cracker, two decent smallies, a largemouth and 6 rainbow trout all on the drop shot with a large jumping worm (invasive type of earthworm that I catch here locally). This rig is deadly on everything.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadrashPaul View Post
    Caught 5 big bluegills, a large shell cracker, two decent smallies, a largemouth and 6 rainbow trout all on the drop shot with a large jumping worm (invasive type of earthworm that I catch here locally). This rig is deadly on everything.
    1993 Tracker Pan fish 16

10. Member
    I'm also experimenting with a foam float and soft plastics on light jigs. Like with the dropshot, the lure must ride above the bottom and retrieved slowly with pauses.

11. Member
    Just tried it last fall in 15 to 25 foot and worked great