Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is There A Jackhammer Chatterbait Clone

I fish a chatterbait a lot, rigged with different trailers and colors. I throw one a lot. And I like the feel and action of the Jackhammer design.

Two questions...
    1. What do they do differently to make the Jackhammer so erratic and vibrate so intensely? Is there a change you can make to the original style to achieve this action???

2. Does anybody make a clone with the same type hunting action and vibration??

I fish them in bad stuff sometimes. I lost three of them yesterday.....ouch!!! At about $15 or so each, that gets tough. Their regular original chatterbait is about 5 bucks... there is no way it costs them much more to make the Jackhammer design. They are close to identical...

Any suggestions on a clone that hunts and vibrates like the JH design... if he charged 2 or 3 bucks more, I would just pay it and go on....and say - hey, he has a right to make money....but something is not right with 3 or 4 times the retail.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

2. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    options. buy them on sale or shop at discount tackle. https://discounttackle.com/search?ty...&q=jackhammer*
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

3. Member
    What trailer are you using? One with a narrow body shape allows the bait to roll over on its side putting the hook directly in contact with wood.
    If using trailer with a wide body (horizontal vice vertical) such as a rage bug the hook will still contact wood but usually the hook slides over without hanging up. For those times it does get snagged I use a telescoping fiberglass lure retriever.
    Phillip "Wade" Norris
    2015 Ranger Z520C
    250 Merc Optimax Pro XS (S# 2B113454)
    25P Fury - 4 blade all holes open

4. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Z-Ma...e-ZMANCCH.html

I use these these, with the stock colors and wire tie skirts and make sure all parts are correct and they work good. The jack hammer has a little longer hook and is a great bait and honestly they pump about the same. If they want it they will get it.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tidewater Bass View Post
    What trailer are you using? One with a narrow body shape allows the bait to roll over on its side putting the hook directly in contact with wood.
    If using trailer with a wide body (horizontal vice vertical) such as a rage bug the hook will still contact wood but usually the hook slides over without hanging up. For those times it does get snagged I use a telescoping fiberglass lure retriever.
    I fish it with different trailers. I guess I use a Super Fluke the most. One I lost was in the mouth of a big female bass. I saw her throw her head up 3 or 4 times then she dove and wrapped me around a log or stump.... finally just had to break the line. One a pickerel took from me ... and one got stuck far in the back of some logs. I throw a fluke with it a lot. If I hang up, I usually get it free. I fish heavy braid.

As far as Discount Tackle Pokie....they are on Amazon for about the same price 13, 14, 15 dollars or so. I do not normally spend that for a lure.
    RT188

6. Member
    I like Siebert Fogy's as an alternative. They still don't start vibrating as quickly as Jackhammer's, but they are my second favorite vibrating jig.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Buy them right pay 11 and change. Worth every penny.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Where???? If you see them for that, let me know.... I have not found their equal, but I thought I would come on here and ask. You never know where something new comes along.
    .. but people here know sometimes.....11 is better than 15 if you are buying 10 or so.
    RT188

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFlyer View Post
    Where???? If you see them for that, let me know.... I have not found their equal, but I thought I would come on here and ask. You never know where something new comes along.
    .. but people here know sometimes.....11 is better than 15 if you are buying 10 or so.
    Can't reveal that deal its actually less then 11. However 12.80 ea when you buy on a 20 percent land big fish sale . Karl's club is 12 .80 and you get 10.00 off your first order of 25.00.

Can't reveal that deal its actually less then 11. However 12.80 ea when you buy on a 20 percent land big fish sale . Karl's club is 12 .80 and you get 10.00 off your first order of 25.00.
    not the OP but thanks for Karl's site have not seen that one yet.

11. Member
    The cheap chatterbaits at Walmart are close to jackhammers in the action,but the hooks aren’t very good,I think the JH blade is just a hair thinner. I use them for practice or fun fishing.

12. Member
    I don't even pay 11 and I buy Real hammers from Japan for $9. not Zman BS. Plus the real ones from Japan come in a lot more colors.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I don't even pay 11 and I buy Real hammers from Japan for $9. not Zman BS. Plus the real ones from Japan come in a lot more colors.
    You got a link?

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    shhhhh!

15. Tin Boats Moderator Pokie Pa's Avatar
    try here..... if they have any in stock: https://japanlureshop.com/bass-lure/...tter-bait.html
    Tim Messer ~ Lake Ariel, Pa.
    US Army 1968 ~ 1971

2019 Ranger RT188 ~ Merc PRO XS ~ MK Ultrex

Many of the Japanese lure suppliers Show Evergreen, but either don’t ship to the U.S any more, or most everything is out of stock. It’s Hit and miss.
    One bait here, two baits there when you can find them. But, you get them for just over $10.00 each on some sites. Watch the shipping.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

17. Member
    You could always get the aliexpress Jacky Hammar

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002225877085.html?

Quote Originally Posted by Pokie Pa View Post
    try here..... if they have any in stock: https://japanlureshop.com/bass-lure/...tter-bait.html
    Is this the “Japanese jackhammer”????

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tommoorehouse View Post
    You could always get the aliexpress Jacky Hammar

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002225877085.html?
    ???

20. Member
    Floridaflyer, The jackhammer has the blade attached directly to the hook eye of the Jig, The connection is very close. That's how they get the extreme vibration. They must attach the blade before they pour the jig head. The other chatter baits use a split ring to connect the blade to the jig head so the connection isn't as close . I make my own chatter baits by buying the parts from Lurepartsonline.com . unfortunately I have to connect the jig to the blade with a split ring also so I cant make a real jackhammer. However the savings is substantial by making my own so there is that.
    2013 Lund Impact 1775 Merc 115,Console= Helix 12 Chirp Mega si+ Gps Gen4 , Bow= Helix10 Mega Di , MK Terrova 80 lb US2 , 2 MK 12ft Talons, 2011 Ram 1500
    Retired Field Engineer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast