Side / Down Scan interference when Ultrex is on spot lock

Alright my Lowrance friends....

I just started noticing that when I'm on spot lock the SS/DS get's interference. It's not impacting me in any way as you technically need to be moving in order to use this. But my concern is the interference if I were to use this up front.

What should I look for and what can be done to correct.

Setup:

Carbon 7 at helm / TM
    Carbon 9 at console
    Point 1
    Total Scan transducer
    Ultrex 80

Ranger Z518 standard wiring from factory

Thanks in advance, AJ
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Bumping this back up to the top...anyone have anything?

3. Member
    Got any pics?

I'll get video the next time on the water...

5. Member
    You will always get interference from a brushed motor when its on. You don't say what transducer on your TM your using. Since you have Carbons the AI3-1 is a better transducer than the total scan. When you are on spot lock you have 2 motors making noise do you know which one is causing the issue? Does it create noise off spot lock when moving on the TM and then disappear when off the pedal?

6. Member
    I decided it was a hopeless cause and just put my ducer on the back. The way these TMs work is that they are continuously adjusting speed with pulse width modulation and the harmonics of those pulses may even become vibrations that become sonar frequency range noise. So it may be more than just simple electrical noise. I decided that since the TM control is wireless that rather than stand on the bow and fish I'd sit on the swivel seat on the stern so then I actually want to see whats right under the transom rather than the bow.

7. Member
    I ran into this, I had to separate my trolling motor wiring from being close to the transducer wiring. What I ultimately found that my boat has a plug in the rear (same as the front) for a transom mounted trolling motor. Even though I don't use this there was power being supplied down the wire which ran very close to my transducer wire.

I got video and will post it up soon.

My bow graph is running off the TM (Ultrex) set-up. The console graph is running off the rear Total Scan transducer that is near the motor. When I don't have the TM deployed or on spot lock the picture is clear. When it's running, I get lines / interference in the scan. I rarely use the two together, which I should learn how to, but at the moment it's causing me any grief. Just frustrating that I have all this tech ($$) in this boat and have these issues.

9. Member
    Just a question/observation. Are you seeing interference when running the trolling motor and using the transducer on the back of the boat or is it on the trolling motor?
    Reason I ask is I have birds and an Ultrex with side image transducer mounted on the Ultrex for the bow unit and one mounted on the transom for the console unit. I can fish on the trolling motor and use the transducer mounted on it with no issue but I have to put the console unit in standby or the two transducers interfere with each other. I get clean images while fishing down to about 0.1-0.2mph but if the spotlock is on and the head is moving forget it, 2D is good and DI but the SI is gone…just the nature of the SI beam/process
    2019 Ford F-150 Platinum (3.5EcoBoost/10spd)
    **Listed FOR SALE**2014 Ranger Z119C w/ Evinrude ETEC 225HO Running Croxton’s Razor 4XL 25P
    Helix 12 Mega G2N’s with Ultrex
    Think like a fish, no matter how weird it gets

Good question...will test this next.

Funny thing is I only use the scanning when I'm idling w/ the big motor so I've never noticed this before. Now that I'm spot locking more and fishing the wind on main lake points, I see the lines on the console graph since I'm near it more.