Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dark Sleeper Bait

Gents,

I am currently struggling with Dark Sleeper ups... once I get the fish hooked finding it a very hard time to land them.
    My set-up:
    Orochi XX Enfrocer
    Certate LT 2500S
    15lb YGK to 12lb Sunline FC Sniper

I love this bait and this combo, but what the heck am I doing wrong? Completely confused...

2. Member
    For what it's worth, I went from using the USA Destroyer F4 Brigand (almost the same rod you are using) to the Daiwa Steez AGS 76MML "Unicorn" rod and my hookups and landing went up by a huge margin. I attribute the better success for the AGS rod having a more forgiving action/taper as I was using the same Daiwa Exist 2510RPE from one rod to the other and it's loaded with 8# Power Pro Hi-Vis Yellow with a leader of 6# Tatsu. This line choice is dictated by the lakes my cabin is on being very clear at nearly 17ft of water clarity and the braid color helps with detecting subtle bites.

In addition, I found the video below from Punch was a great help for me to better understand the MB Dark Sleeper.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    Gents,

I am currently struggling with Dark Sleeper ups... once I get the fish hooked finding it a very hard time to land them.
    My set-up:
    Orochi XX Enfrocer
    Certate LT 2500S
    15lb YGK to 12lb Sunline FC Sniper

I love this bait and this combo, but what the heck am I doing wrong? Completely confused...
    Have you checked you hook point? A number of my sleepers have a very dull hook
    IMG_4899 by r w, on Flickr

Interesting, so go to a more moderate action or lighter power rod.

Never thought about the hook. Got a tool recommendation for sharpening hooks?

5. Member
    Don't be afraid to trim plastic slightly over the hook so less will be in the way. Once fish is on you need to keep applying pressure don't play them like you would a more open style jig head swimbait setup.

6. Member
    I've had a few get dull but not often... I usually lose them to a pike before then lol. When I have sharpened them I just pull the fins back exposing the hook and give it light, one-direction from a whetstone. As far as set up, I use a Perfect Pitch and 12 lb Sniper, sometimes 15 lb Abrazx if bouncing off the rocks. I find its such a compact lure that hook up % is pretty good overall. They snarf it. I just started using the new Agent E (3 inch, 3/4 oz) two weeks ago and it seems to be even a tad smaller in size than the Dark Sleeper and I had some deep hooks to remove a couple times... and for about the same price you get two Agent E's instead of one Dark Sleeper.
    Last edited by FryDog62; 03-02-2022 at 01:43 PM.

I suppose I'm going to go a completely different direction than Banner...

The most helpful thing anyone ever told me about that bait was to not think about it like a swimbait, but a jig. When I started fishing it that way, and more importantly, setting the hook that way, my success with it skyrocketed. This includes heavy enough line to properly set the hook - I'm throwing it on braid to a 16 lb Sniper leader, FWIW - and casting gear. The plastic around the hook point is basically a weed guard, and it's hiding a fairly heavy hook. You've got to drive that thing home!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I suppose I'm going to go a completely different direction than Banner...

The most helpful thing anyone ever told me about that bait was to not think about it like a swimbait, but a jig. When I started fishing it that way, and more importantly, setting the hook that way, my success with it skyrocketed. This includes heavy enough line to properly set the hook - I'm throwing it on braid to a 16 lb Sniper leader, FWIW - and casting gear. The plastic around the hook point is basically a weed guard, and it's hiding a fairly heavy hook. You've got to drive that thing home!
    Yep, same here. Never even thought about throwing it on a spinning rod.

9. Member
    Yall are cray cray throwing them on spinning gear

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FryDog62 View Post
    I've had a few get dull but not often... ...
    Unfortunately the hooks were very dull out of the package, 3 of 20 that I purchased.
    ---
    for set-up mostly use 1/2 and 3/4 size
    rod Kistler H3 7'6" LMH casting
    line 16# Sniper

hook sharpener I use like the blue one

Quote Originally Posted by Bassjam2000 View Post
    Yall are cray cray throwing them on spinning gear
    What’s crazy is I’ve seen people use a medium light to a heavy action rod for these. Spinning and casting gear have proven effective by a variety of anglers.

The hook on them is just heavy. It really is a jig hook, not a "normal" small swimbait hook. That makes it tough to get it buried trying to finesse it, even forgetting that there's plastic shielding it. What's more, the way the bait is weighted ensures the hook is always going to hit right in the roof of their mouth. This is great in that it stays once it's home, but you've got to penetrate the bone/whatever else to get it there. You're skin hooking them otherwise.

If you're set on spinning gear, you could absolutely do it with your setup, but you've got to HIT them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Here's an overview from the source. I count at least 7 times he compares it to a jig. "Just like a jig." Watch how he sets the hook.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

14. Member
    Yeah I didn't do very well on them until I started dragging it like a football head but with shorter pauses. 7' MH rod and 12-15lb straight flouro.

The hook on them is just heavy. It really is a jig hook, not a "normal" small swimbait hook. That makes it tough to get it buried trying to finesse it, even forgetting that there's plastic shielding it. What's more, the way the bait is weighted ensures the hook is always going to hit right in the roof of their mouth. This is great in that it stays once it's home, but you've got to penetrate the bone/whatever else to get it there. You're skin hooking them otherwise.

If you're set on spinning gear, you could absolutely do it with your setup, but you've got to HIT them.
    I'm not set on my spinning rod, but I'm looking at other options. This whole bait has got me thinking.

16. Member
    I had good luck with them on two rods.

Megabass Orochi XX Enforcer on the river for smallies

Shimano Zodias 6’10 MH casting on local lakes targeting docks and other cover.

17. Member
    Here's an overview from the source. I count at least 7 times he compares it to a jig. "Just like a jig." Watch how he sets the hook.
    Great video, thanks for posting it.

Will be using the Dark Sleeper this weekend at the California Delta, fishing it more like Chris shows in video.

Regards,
    Doc

18. Member
    I thought it was only a SM bait. Looks like I will give them a try.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I thought it was only a SM bait. Looks like I will give them a try.
    Nah, not worth it. They definitely only work on smallmouth...

They also definitely do NOT skip really, really well. Waste of time to try skipping them, especially under docks or low hanging branches....

2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

It’s a great bait for smallmouth and largemouth. I’ve had pretty good success with it, just wanna increase my hook up ratio.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast