Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    You listed your combo, but what size/weight sleeper are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Rippin Traps View Post
    You listed your combo, but what size/weight sleeper are you using?
    I fish mostly 3/8-1/2oz on this combo.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    I fish mostly 3/8-1/2oz on this combo.
    Ok so I’m guessing the 3”? To be honest, I think you have the wrong mindset and thinking of them as just swimbaits. Yes they are like swimbaits but they are more like a jig/swimbait hybrid.

For the 2.4 in 3/8 oz I use the ALX Maesteo.

For the 3 inch in 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz I use the ALX Toadface which is a casting MH+.

I started with the Deptuty which is a MH but even then, I felt like I needed more power to set the hook so I started using the Toadface and no more lost fish.

So in my opinion, I think you needed a more powerful combo.

On a side note, a lot of the sleepers are not that sharp out of the package. I use a Spyderco ceramic fine stone to touch up the hooks straight up the package. Spyderco stone is $23 and is a game changer.

Ok so I’m guessing the 3”? To be honest, I think you have the wrong mindset and thinking of them as just swimbaits. Yes they are like swimbaits but they are more like a jig/swimbait hybrid.

For the 2.4 in 3/8 oz I use the ALX Maesteo.

For the 3 inch in 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz I use the ALX Toadface which is a casting MH+.

I started with the Deptuty which is a MH but even then, I felt like I needed more power to set the hook so I started using the Toadface and no more lost fish.

So in my opinion, I think you needed a more powerful combo.

On a side note, a lot of the sleepers are not that sharp out of the package. I use a Spyderco ceramic fine stone to touch up the hooks straight up the package. Spyderco stone is $23 and is a game changer.
    As for the set-up, it's totally possible my mindset is wrong. I mostly fish them slow across rock in our rivers.

I'll take a look at the hook sharpener, might be worth it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NathanDLTH View Post
    As for the set-up, it's totally possible my mindset is wrong. I mostly fish them slow across rock in our rivers.

I'll take a look at the hook sharpener, might be worth it.
    Feel free to send me a PM and I can show you how I sharpen the sleepers. You would be surprised how many hooks out the package are not what I consider sharp. Big name companies too.

6. Member
    Here is a video of my son and I in a tournament using the dark sleeper for smallies. Our best success was dragging it like a football jig. Occasionally popping it. Also, yes check the hooks. they can be dull. Using MH 15lb flouro. Very good hook up percentage with that setup.

2019 Skeeter ZX250

Check out my YouTube!! Thanks! https://www.youtube.com/user/WIHunter100/videos

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Bassin View Post
    Here is a video of my son and I in a tournament using the dark sleeper for smallies. Our best success was dragging it like a football jig. Occasionally popping it. Also, yes check the hooks. they can be dull. Using MH 15lb flouro. Very good hook up percentage with that setup.

Thanks.

8. Member
    Do you guys fish these only in waters that have gobies?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnybass View Post
    I fish these everywhere and anywhere. Our waters don’t have gobies.

No, just bait fish, sunnies, and crawfish

11. Member
    A few lakes around here have some Gobies but rare , all freshwater on the west coat have freshwater Sculpin.Dark Sleeper works at Clearlake.

I fish these everywhere and anywhere. Our waters don’t have gobies.

Same. I got a couple when they were in final stagee prototype wise. I thought to myself...." we don't have gobies though"....I decided to pitch it u0 under a dock like a jig. First cast yielded a 6lber on it.

We sell a bunch in areas without gobies.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Same. I got a couple when they were in final stagee prototype wise. I thought to myself...." we don't have gobies though"....I decided to pitch it u0 under a dock like a jig. First cast yielded a 6lber on it.

We sell a bunch in areas without gobies.
    Not to threadjack too much, but can you share any details about when the Megabass Sleeper Craw may be generally available for us desperate smallmouth bass fishing folks in the North Country to buy and hoard? TIA!

No worries if this global supply fiasco is hindering production/distribution, it seems to be the new normal now.
    Last edited by City17Banner; 03-20-2022 at 09:51 PM.
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Would love to hear if Mark has any ETA on the Sleeper Gill too!

Mark is the one that told me about the way they skip, btw. That PM conversation completely changed the way I thought about that bait! I owe you, sir!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

Mark is the one that told me about the way they skip, btw. That PM conversation completely changed the way I thought about that bait! I owe you, sir!
    I can't imagine how well the smallmouth bass on my cabin lake are going to respond to the Sleeper Craw considering the rusty crayfish have just died off on my chain of lakes sir!!!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post
    I can't imagine how well the smallmouth bass on my cabin lake are going to respond to the Sleeper Craw considering the rusty crayfish have just died off on my chain of lakes sir!!!
    Said every Minnesotan ever who has craw fish lol!

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Bassin View Post

That Kid's a "STUD" !! Hell of a net man, better than the old Man, LOL LOL He can fish with me anytime !!!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by City17Banner View Post

Once the Sleeper Craw final prototype heads to production there will be some happy people. I fished a bunch of the prototypes in the past year and the bass inhale them. Probably caught 30 fish in about 2hrs on it the first time I used it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post

You are very welcome. Thanksfor choosing MB.

20. Member
    Thanks for the update on the Sleeper Craw sir!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast