Looking to buy a boat

Hey guys. Not sure if I can post this or not, but I'm looking to purchase a boat this year. Would like to keep it around 5-6k. Time to upgrade from the kayak life!

Thanks!

2. Fishing is a Passion
    I believe FaceBook has a group called Bass Boats less than 10K. try that.
    2002 Pro Craft 200 Super Pro- 2005 200 Mercury Optimax, Retired
    Empty Nester- Proud Grandfather 5-30-2014-Boy-Aiden, 8-2-2017-Boy-Calen

3. Member
    ^ this. Just keep in mind with todays ridiculous market, expect to be shopping for a long time. And don’t be afraid to look at 20-25yo boats. I was in the same situation in 2014. looked for a boat within the 5-6k range for 3 years. I looked at 3 in person and only one was in decent condition. Went back the next day to pay in cash and some guy from NYC was pulling out with the boat as I was getting there. The seller said he just showed up out of the blue, had cash and paid $1000 more than asking all because he lived 5hrs from here and didn’t wanna go back empty handed.

Ended up buying my wife’s cousins boat for $7500. That was a 2003 Nitro with a 115 and was 13yo then. I sold it to a kid for $7500 in 2019 and had offers of $500-$1000 more but I know how I felt when boats got sold from under me and I would never do it to someone else.

moral of the story: be ready with cash or atleast a deposit in hand. Don’t be afraid to look at 20-25yo boats, and if you need a loan put a deposit down before you walk away.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 02-26-2022 at 08:19 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

4. Member
    Yes used boat prices are crazy ..
    saw a used 2018 ranger 520 guy asking $69k..
    and the was nothing special about it ..

good luck

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Last_Cast View Post
    Hey guys. Not sure if I can post this or not, but I'm looking to purchase a boat this year. Would like to keep it around 5-6k. Time to upgrade from the kayak life!

Thanks!
    Try not to limit yourself as ECobb pointed out, especially since you could end up with more problems that you wanted to handle in a boat that needs ' a lot of little things'.
    Look at the boat for what it's worth and the overall conditions it has been maintained. Make the time to go and look at it personally, so you can see how the owner maintains the rest of his things, and start by looking at the bilge/batteries compartment for cleanliness and organization while checking the floor for any soft spots. If you can't get the boat in the water, at least start the engine on a hose let it warm up checking for excessive smoke, very bad idle, and a good strong 'pisser' coming from the water exhaust with good warm feel, and while the engine is off, grab the lower unit moving it up and doen for any transom flexing indication possible rut issues. Electronics can cost you big dollars, so check them for start up in simulator mode, and don't forget the trailer conditions, especially if it has brakes, since it is the thing that will get you to the water.

Paying a little extra for a very good boat will save you time and money in the long run, but don't buy into the BS of a 'used anything' shortage which seems the on going thing with people trying to get deep into your packets. Please, buy something that is within your ability of operation, since there is not shame in knowing your limitations.
    Be diligent and be safe

Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post

good luck
    Used pick-ups have had crazy prices too since 2012! It hasn't gotten any better either. Same for new and used boats. It's the way of the world now.

That said, if I sold my garage kept excellent condition 2008 Triton, (18'6" w/No wood construction) with a Late 2018 Mercury 115 Pro XS four stroke, 4 Blade Spitfire X7 stainless Prop, 4" jack plate, two 3 month old HDS 9 Live's, Active Target, a 24volt 80lb Thrust Fortrex, (W/a spare Fortrex 80 lb thrust T.M.), 3 new 31 series deep cycles and good condition trailer w/brakes, turn key ready to fish, what would you expect to pay for it?

Fishing from a decent well equipped boat will cost you. It is not a cheap sport any more! You get what you pay for, and remember, "The definition of a bargain is something you can use at a price you can't resist!"
    Last edited by OBT; 04-25-2022 at 07:57 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

7. Member
    My suggestions is expect to travel. I went from NY to NC for my boat. Happy I did. I would ask to face time or video chat and have person to go over the boat with you before you travel. My experience is everyones definition of excellent condition is very different. Don't be in a hurry but if you find "the one" grab it before it's gone. Good Luck!

8. Member
    Tough time to get into boat at that price range. When I bought my boat it was 12 years old and I paid $9300. Today a 12 year old boat similar to mine is almost double that amount. Guys are selling 5 year old boat for what they paid for them. Good luck, and be patient until you see something you want. If you do see something that you are interested in, don’t hesitate and go check it out. There are a lot of overpriced boats for sale but if a boat is priced right it will sell very quickly.
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph44 View Post

good luck
    I seen the same one and i laughed wanted to comment but being a business obviously never a good idea

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GJSTEELER View Post
    My suggestions is expect to travel. I went from NY to NC for my boat. Happy I did. I would ask to face time or video chat and have person to go over the boat with you before you travel. My experience is everyones definition of excellent condition is very different. Don't be in a hurry but if you find "the one" grab it before it's gone. Good Luck!
    solid advice GJ steeler

11. Member
    Thanks for the advice everybody! Still in the market. Seems like people are asking a lot of money for garbage, but that's the world we live in. Appareciate all the feedback!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Last_Cast View Post
    Thanks for the advice everybody! Still in the market. Seems like people are asking a lot of money for garbage, but that's the world we live in. Appreciate all the feedback!
    Have you check Facebook Marketplace? I saw a couple on there that may have fit your needs.
    Are you looking at console or tiller? tiller are going to be much cheaper.
    Sold my son's boat, Grumman 4.5 meters console steering with trailer and 40HP 'Rude for 1750.00 in 2019 all in very good running order.

Kinda regret doing it, since we are down to just 2 boats, and my rig no one drives it but me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    I seen the same one and i laughed wanted to comment but being a business obviously never a good idea

love to reply to some of these Gus too..
    it’s crazy.. but don’t to be rood either.. too funny
    also saw other day guy with 1997 nitro 18.5 ft with 150…
    asking $12k…

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS

14. Member
    Murph,
    Are you saying that you don't subscribe to the fantasy that there is a used boat shortage like used cars?

15. Member
    Car and boat shortage still…. Crazy that people want to get out of their campers cars boats
    to may get rid of them or go new again… selling their ones now for new prices… people
    will pay for what they want. But watch in what you buy….

Mercury Pro Team

250 Opti Max Pro XS