95 cobra bass boat

Trying to figure out what the wires running in the battery box go to. Got the boat from my grandpa about a year ago and he had all the batteries hooked up. Cranking battery and two trolling motor batteries. How ever there are two wires a red and a black that run in from somewhere to where the batteries are located in the back of the boat. There are two wires red and black that look the same that are hooked to the trolling motor batteries. What are the two wires that aren’t connected to anything for?

2. Member

3. Member
    Will post serial number when I get home and look at title

Many older boats came with the Johnson 12/24 volt system so there are four wires running from the trolling batteries to the front console. When upgrading to a 24 volt system, two of the wires are not used so they end up sitting in the battery area. Check that out in your boat.

Tom

5. Member
    I have a 98. On mine there are two sets of 12v trolling motor wires that run to the front for the older 12/24 trolling motors. When I replaced the original trolling motor it was a 12/24 hand control. If you have a 24v trolling motor the 24v is supplied via the 4 blade Marinco trolling motor plug. On the Marinco plug you install the red wire from the trolling motor to the 24v screw and the black to ground. The Marinco 12-24 plug has a built in jumper making 24v to the trolling motor. By using the two separate trolling motor wires you utilize both breakers that are located in the battery compartment.

6. Member
    So if I have one of the black wires hooked up with the wrong red would it cause the trolling motor run weak?

Quote Originally Posted by Walden13 View Post
    So if I have one of the black wires hooked up with the wrong red would it cause the trolling motor run weak?
    Nah, I'm no expert but the trolling motor wouldn't work at all. How's the charge in the trolling motor batteries? You can take them to Advance Auto or similar place and have them tested for free.

Tom :salute;

8. Member
    Brand new as of a month ago

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Walden13 View Post
    Brand new as of a month ago
    Walden
    what Tom said it is correct that the TM were wired to accommodate the TM of that time. If the batts are new, than at worst may need charge, which you can check with a load tester.
    You have a 4 pin plug at the bow, so try to check by following continuity from end of wire to plug hole giving you where they are going.
    My 2002 is wired with 2 black and 2 red, which if you take the bow plug out, you will see that it was meant to operate on 12 and 24 volts for the TM. I left them factory and work just fine with my 2008 MG digital 82# TM.