Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdman2136 View Post
    I think I'll give the Guppy heads another try. I do tend to think the ball had jigs come through rock better which I'm on the river quite a bit so that is a factor for me.

I was looking at my stock here and looks like my Keitech super roundball heads are all 1/8 or 1/4 with the 1/0 hooks and for the Gamakatsu I have 1/8 in 1/0 hooks.

I haven't found the need to bump up to 3/8 ever.
    I use a 3/8 once the spawn is over and the bass move to deep water near points. 3/8 oz Guppy Head, 3.8 Keitech Fat. I'll throw it out, let it drop for 10 seconds, slow roll it, let it drop, repeat. The bass are schooled up and chasing shad over deep water and are suckers for it. Local thing, you've got a different situation.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I tried a pack of the VMC hybrid swimbait heads end of the season and like them. I have 1/2oz but sure the smaller sizes work well too. Have also seen a lot of guys swear by that Matt Stefan dirty jigs guppy head.
    The 3/16oz on these have been money on the small Easy Shiner for me

3. Member
    I am a regular guppy head user but after a recent trip, I have noticed that the hook tends to break easily and I have quite a few newer guppy heads where the eyelets are still sealed. Extremely annoying and we shouldn’t have to double check every head at that price. Anyone else been having this issue?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Gamakatsu round 26 ball head. 2/0
    this is what I have used for years
    2021/ 200 hp 4 stroke pro xs
    2021 Triton TRX 18
    #3B051045

Quote Originally Posted by Rippin Traps View Post
    I am a regular guppy head user but after a recent trip, I have noticed that the hook tends to break easily and I have quite a few newer guppy heads where the eyelets are still sealed. Extremely annoying and we shouldn’t have to double check every head at that price. Anyone else been having this issue?
    Couple of years ago, a bunch of the Guppy head eyelets I had were sealed with whatever they use for clear coat, and that stuff is as hard as a rock. Had to work some to clear it out of the eyelet. I sent Dirty Jigs an email telling them about it, and I noticed that there hasn't been as much of that lately. Probably coincidence, but if you're seeing it, let them know.

I'm liking the looks of these Berkley half-heads.

Berkley Fusion19 Swimbait Jig Heads 3pk - Tackle Warehouse

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Couple of years ago, a bunch of the Guppy head eyelets I had were sealed with whatever they use for clear coat, and that stuff is as hard as a rock. Had to work some to clear it out of the eyelet. I sent Dirty Jigs an email telling them about it, and I noticed that there hasn't been as much of that lately. Probably coincidence, but if you're seeing it, let them know.

I messaged Matt and he said he would notify Dirty Jigs to inform them about it. I still have a ton of guppy heads but just picked up some VMC hybrid jigheads. Those Berkley ones look interesting but they don’t have 3/16th. I’ll still probably give them a try sooner or later.

7. Member

The Berkley Swimbait heads are my new Go-To. Really good keeper and a very strong hook.

Not sure if it applies here to the linked heads, but I have noticed that Fusion hooks are smaller than other brands in at least some cases. I think it was the "Snap Jigs" that I bought to try that supposedly had a 1/0 in them that was definitely smaller than 1/0 from other companies. Seems like I noticed it with some of their trebles too. That could be a big help in this scenario if it holds true here! Or maybe I'm still way more concerned with hooks being too big on all these heads than other people...
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Well Drew, you made me look. Comparing the 1/0 on the Guppy head to the 1/0 on the Berkley, it appears to me that the Berkley is just a bit bigger as far as the gap in the hook, but length wise about the same. I'm happy with the hooks in both of them as far as size, I like the short shank that these heads have for swimbaits.

Well Drew, you made me look. Comparing the 1/0 on the Guppy head to the 1/0 on the Berkley, it appears to me that the Berkley is just a bit bigger as far as the gap in the hook, but length wise about the same. I'm happy with the hooks in both of them as far as size, I like the short shank that these heads have for swimbaits.
    Interesting! Complete opposite in that case.

This was admittedly early in the Fusion19 hook's entry into the market. Maybe they've made some adjustments since. Thank you for the insight!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

11. Member
    If you're still looking for a weedless option, check out the Jewel Baits Gem Shad 2.0. I love using these by themselves or on a-rigs, work great both ways
    1998 Champion 203
    1998 Mercury 225
    Minn Kota Ultrex, 10" Helix MSI+ G4N, 10" Helix MDI+ G4N
    "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123