Winter Upgrades Complete - Sabre FTD

The 11 year old Optima Blue Tops for my MG Tour 24V TM finally gave up the ghost. Decided to go ahead and invest in LifePO4 batteries, and at the same time, do some upgrades to the TM and electronics wiring. There still a few tweaks I need to incorporate before I can declare the project Complete, but it'll get me on the water for the time being.
    Started in the front with a new MG Tour Pro w/HD+ Sonar. Added a BCB bow panel and Battery Tender setup. Upgraded some of the terminals on the TM wiring. New IWiss cable crimpers came in handy.
    IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0923.JPG IMG_0847.JPGIMG_0850.JPGIMG_0859.JPG
    Installed 3 - Ionic lithium batteries. 1 - 125ah start/accessories battery, 2 - 50ah TM batteries for the Tour. NOCO GenPro 10x3 replaced the old Cup-M-Rite charger. Also installed a Blue Seas terminal mounted fuse, and BEP 701S switch for a dedicated electronics circuit. Installed 8AWG wiring to the console to a Blues Seas 6 fuse panel that powers graphs, NMEA, and LS (future). 10AWG wire to the bow graph and LS. Voltage on my HDS Gen2s went from 11.9v to 13.2-13.3.
    IMG_0874.JPGDDD8DFA0-543E-4B08-A27F-6253620281F3.jpegIMG_0917.JPG49D85FFE-E69E-44C1-9B85-3CB812B84E67.jpeg

It's amazing how much smaller and lighter these lithiums are even by comparison to the Optima Blue Tops they replaced. As you'll see, I had to come up with a short term economical solution to fill the my double 31 series tray until I can get a tray fabricated for the smaller 50ah LifePO4 batteries. I used 1x1 aluminum tubing cut to length as a temporary measure. Between the lighter lithium batteries, and much lighter onboard charger the weight reduction is 90+ lbs. The improvement in holeshot was immediately apparent. But, the most noticeable improvement was rise in the stern. Can't wait to go really shallow this Summer.
    Just thought I'd share.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RazorCat; 07-31-2022 at 12:11 PM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

2. Member
    Very nice. I remember you posting on the spare tire. What is the apparatus under the spare? I know what it is for
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

Quote Originally Posted by Redngoo View Post
    Very nice. I remember you posting on the spare tire. What is the apparatus under the spare? I know what it is for
    That's a window wedge of some sort. Don't recall the exact original purpose of the wedge, but it worked for achieving the proper angle on my spare. Black plastic. Approx. 8" long. Drilled through the wedge and spare tire holder and bolted it down under the tire. I'll try to post pictures when I can resize them.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

4. Member
    Looks good you did a great job
    2018 BASSCAT COUGAR FTD
    MERCURY 250 PRO XS 2B524980

Second that. That’s great work and I’m envious as I need to go in the lithium direction with a new charger. My list is long, sometimes. Thanks for sharing your upgrade.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

Thank you all. The project had it’s moments. It was one of those “one thing begets another” situations as is usually the case when you start digging around in the bilge and wiring on a 15 year old boat. But, it was fun and satisfying when completed. The battery change out was necessary.
    The wiring upgrades were to ensure more stabile power for the bigger chartplotters I use these days. The norm when I bought my boat was two Lowrance LMS-520s.
    Next project in my sites is a Garmin 126sv with LiveScope. Likely a Rite-Hite LS turret to mount it. Then, of course, if I’m going to do a proper switch over from LOW to Garmin I might as well add that 106sv or 126sv at the dash. It’s always something.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

7. Member
    Thanks. The upgrades are nice. I just went thru alot of necessary wiring myself. Adding a house battery. You are correct. It has its moments. Sure make older body's hurt or at least me. Just not alot of room in these boat. Mine is a p2 and the sabre is the same or at least close
    2013 Pantera 2
    200 Pro XS (2b009069)
    Ghost Trolling Motor

As I age, it’s become apparent that I have to factor in “recovery time” when I’m estimating the days (weeks?) it takes to complete a project like this. For every two days I work, I need a day to recover.
    Supposed to be in the 60s-70s next week. Time to head to lake and check my work.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    As I age, it’s become apparent that I have to factor in “recovery time” when I’m estimating the days (weeks?) it takes to complete a project like this. For every two days I work, I need a day to recover.
    Supposed to be in the 60s-70s next week. Time to head to lake and check my work.
    Yes sir. Now, for a job that used to take me 1 hour I plan an entire day
    You are lucky though. Only hard water and freezing temps right now where I am
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Completed the final upgrades to the project. Added a BBT battery tray for the 50ah TM batteries, cinched up the wiring, and upgraded the weatherproof box where I store tools/electrical supplies/TM prop. Next step will be to upgrade to a 4S 175 Pro XS, remove the oil tank, and add a 50ah dedicated electronics battery.
    103B46E6-6C6E-4091-AC05-2B3D4D444874.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"