Images not a clear on newest solix

I upgraded my console Solix from a 12" Gen 1 to a 15" Gen 3 recently. I havent had a lot of time on the water since, but the few trips I have had it just seems like the image was not as clear. This last trip, I made sure all my settings were the same from the 12" (still have it, moved to bow now), but the images just didnt ever seem as clear as I am used to. In fact, I feel like the 12" Gen 1 is getting better side imaging images from the Mega 360 transducer than my 15" is getting from the Mega+ transducer.

I have always had perfect images from my Gen 1 Solix 12", straight out the box. But, my sons fishing partner bought Gen 2 Solix for his boat and they have always complained that they are not getting as good of images as my Gen 1. Is there maybe something we are missing from the move to Gen 2 & 3, or Mega+? Is there a chance that its a head unit software issue?

2. Member
    I experienced the exact same issue! I'm not impressed at all with it!
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I believe the screen resolution is the same between a solix 12 and 15. So the images on the larger screen will not be as sharp. Same pixel count spread over a larger screen surface. However, that doesn't explain the gen 2 solix comparison.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

4. Member
    Thank you for the input, but it doesnt actually seem like a resolution issue. The last time out I went to a lake that I am very familiar with and I just wasnt see the same cover I have been used to. I was expecting Mega+ to be an improvement over the Gen 1 Mega (not that it was needed) but if the pixel density is causing the difference then it doenst seem like there is any improvement from Mega to Mega+. With Tone having a similar experience I am a little concerned about having messed with a good thing. And with my son's partner having 12s it is even more concerning.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djmartin4582 View Post
    Thank you for the input, but it doesnt actually seem like a resolution issue. The last time out I went to a lake that I am very familiar with and I just wasnt see the same cover I have been used to. I was expecting Mega+ to be an improvement over the Gen 1 Mega (not that it was needed) but if the pixel density is causing the difference then it doenst seem like there is any improvement from Mega to Mega+. With Tone having a similar experience I am a little concerned about having messed with a good thing. And with my son's partner having 12s it is even more concerning.
    Mine are 12's. One would expect a big improvement in image quality going from a Gen1 to a Gen3 plus unit. It's just not there, in fact. It's worse!
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Post screenshots of each
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

7. Member
    Like what was said earlier, the 12 will have better resolution than the 15. The + if you make the proper settings have been reported to be better than Gen 1 of the "same screen size" by all the reports I have seen. All adjustments will not be exactly the same as Gen 1. Also are you using the + transducer? Not the same as the Gen 1. I am sure you will get it to look better unless it is broke. Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    I thought the same thing with my Solix 10 G3 and when I upgraded to version 3.980, the clarity seemed to improve. What version are you running?

9. Member
    I am running software version 4.020. I got the unit in December and have put the latest version on before hitting the water. I have only run 4.020.

10. Member
    My 12” Solix Gen 3 is night and day clearer than my previous 12” Gen 1 Solix. I am using an aftermarket hire harness and lithium battery. I also have located optimum transducer placement which most fail to do. It’s amazing how much better the Gen 3 Mega side imaging is at distance (120ft) than the Gen 1 was. Huge improvement for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    My 12” Solix Gen 3 is night and day clearer than my previous 12” Gen 1 Solix. I am using an aftermarket hire harness and lithium battery. I also have located optimum transducer placement which most fail to do. It’s amazing how much better the Gen 3 Mega side imaging is at distance (120ft) than the Gen 1 was. Huge improvement for me.
    The spec range for first SOLIX first generation MEGA Imaging is 125', second generation is 200', and third generation is 250'.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    I know this is an older post, but I have discovered that turning down the contrast helps clear up the image tremendously.
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    My Solix Gen 3 12” is a big improvement over my previous Solix Gen 1 12”. I have the latest software and wired direct to a 125ah lithium using 10 gauge wire. Transducer placement is the most common user error. 15” is not as clear as 12” because they both have the same number of pixels so the 15” is stretched out.