Thread: Should we fast?

Should we fast?

Do you fast or think we should or shouldn't? Another video I watched indicated Jesus expects us to.
    I don't think I ever went 24 hrs. without eating. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go camping somewhere secluded by myself and fast and pray for a week or two. I may not want to come back.
    There is a fair amount of scripture about it. I thought maybe it was different after Jesus's ascension and the Holy Spirit being available to all who believe, but some verses may be for after that.

prayer and fasting....exceptional characteristics to have.
    Sacred Heart of Mary, pray for us now, and at the hour of our death. AMEN
    O blood and water which gush forth from the heart of Jesus, have mercy on us
    For the sake of his sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and the whole world

3. Member
    What about diabetics? ��

4. Member
    This verse says "when you fast" twice. Seems like Jesus assumes we will fast.

Matthew 6:16-18 Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the [e]hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17But you, when you fast,anoint your head and wash your face,18so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you[f]openly.
    2012 Ranger Z521 2023 Mercury 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by mram10us View Post
    This verse says "when you fast" twice. Seems like Jesus assumes we will fast.

Matthew 6:16-18 Moreover, when you fast, do not be like the [e]hypocrites, with a sad countenance. For they disfigure their faces that they may appear to men to be fasting. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 17But you, when you fast,anoint your head and wash your face,18so that you do not appear to men to be fasting, but to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you[f]openly.
    This
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

Quote Originally Posted by bassfishinglawyer View Post
    What about diabetics? ��
    Have thought about that as well as other characteristics when you talk about fasting. In my mind, fasting is the act of making a sacrifice. Heck, staying home on a beautiful morning when the fish are on the banks is that a sacrifice? HEHE!!! Sure it is! Someone with diabetics or other physical ailment who wants to fast....should do so accordingly. Jesus knows each one of us, better than we do. If you commit yourself to making a sacrifice with the intent of offering it up to Jesus....stay within your bounds, he will understand and duly note your intentions.

7. Member
    Paul and others fasted in Acts 13:1-3. It is simply a way of worshipping God and keeping our minds on the return of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
    Last edited by Chisco; 03-03-2022 at 06:44 AM.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPtimes2 View Post
    Do you fast or think we should or shouldn't? Another video I watched indicated Jesus expects us to.
    I don't think I ever went 24 hrs. without eating. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to go camping somewhere secluded by myself and fast and pray for a week or two. I may not want to come back.
    There is a fair amount of scripture about it. I thought maybe it was different after Jesus's ascension and the Holy Spirit being available to all who believe, but some verses may be for after that.
    Please read Matthew 9:14-16 and Mark 2:18-19. Oh, if you fancy a question about the sabbath keep reading Mark 2 :23-27. Do not forget that Jesus walked and lived among the Hebrews, so there were many traditions which pertained to them and their many fests.

Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Please read Matthew 9:14-16 and Mark 2:18-19. Oh, if you fancy a question about the sabbath keep reading Mark 2 :23-27. Do not forget that Jesus walked and lived among the Hebrews, so there were many traditions which pertained to them and their many fests.
    Pardon the interruption but you mention "many traditions" I couldn't help but think of the Roman Catholic Mass. They were Jews celebrating a Jewish tradition. The Mass has many instances where it was brought forth from Jewish tradition.

Appreciate reading the question and responses!!!!

10. Member
    Actually, I was not thinking the catholic mass at all when commenting on Hebrew traditions, which the roots were given by God, polished by Moses, Aaron, and Levite, and severely abused by the Pharisees. So, are you talking about the abuses by the Pharisees that were brought over to the mass?, like the smoke show on Sunday, genuflexion and kissing of the alter, and the eucharist being hidden in a little safe behind a little curtain inside?

11. Member
    This is what is considered 'fasting' by some religions:

Cutting back your daily meals into half your normal meal, and only three meals per day.
    Liquids are not limited or counted as part of fasting.
    Sunday is not counted as part of the fast, since we should rejoice on the day that God has declared holy and enjoy His gifts.

Meat is to be omitted on Friday with the exception of fish and fish products.

Now, I think anyone should be able to follow this type of 'fasting', and somebody should tell fish that their flesh don't count, especially tuna and shark being the closest thing to meat.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    This is what is considered 'fasting' by some religions:

Cutting back your daily meals into half your normal meal, and only three meals per day.
    Liquids are not limited or counted as part of fasting.
    Sunday is not counted as part of the fast, since we should rejoice on the day that God has declared holy and enjoy His gifts.

Meat is to be omitted on Friday with the exception of fish and fish products.

Now, I think anyone should be able to follow this type of 'fasting', and somebody should tell fish that their flesh don't count, especially tuna and shark being the closest thing to meat.

Interesting. I always thought fasting was to completely abstain from food and allow drinking only. Lots of doctors support fasting as beneficial to health so I'm sure God supports it.
    Full blood Nikonian

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter106 View Post
    Have thought about that as well as other characteristics when you talk about fasting. In my mind, fasting is the act of making a sacrifice. Heck, staying home on a beautiful morning when the fish are on the banks is that a sacrifice? HEHE!!! Sure it is! Someone with diabetics or other physical ailment who wants to fast....should do so accordingly. Jesus knows each one of us, better than we do. If you commit yourself to making a sacrifice with the intent of offering it up to Jesus....stay within your bounds, he will understand and duly note your intentions.
    Is eating a Big Mac (bread) and drinking a diet coke (wine) to partake in communion / Eucharist not good enough to get a HEHE? but staying home on a good fishing day is? Things that make me go Hummm
    Last edited by godsdozer; 03-02-2022 at 09:44 PM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonG View Post
    Interesting. I always thought fasting was to completely abstain from food and allow drinking only. Lots of doctors support fasting as beneficial to health so I'm sure God supports it.
    Like you said, interesting. I was a competing bodybuilder, and I am well aware what strict fasting is, and I would normally stick with protein drink that I make from whey powder most of the day prior to a show and during the showing of competition with addition of electrolytes for hydration and cramping.
    I truly never used it any other time, since it was extremely depleting of strength and overall energy, and I would never recommend it to anyone that has any know or possible diabetes.
    As to the reasons why God would support it, I could not give you any that I am aware of directly.